DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    PG pump refurbish
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PG pump refurbish
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of suprodn
posted
Who can refurb a stock pg pump. New oversized gears new stator tube and surface both halves.

Posts: 63 | Location: Watchn my motor go boom on the dyno | Registered: April 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Not sure who can do work. My question is how much cheaper than new pump? Sounds like it would not be much difference,but could be wrong.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4182 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
You can see if you have a WIT or Transstar dealer near you. I will say this, you wont save much, if any at all to what a new aftermarket casting will cost.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 704 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TH383
posted Hide Post
FTI can I'm sure

Posts: 829 | Location: PA | Registered: November 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FTI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TH383:
FTI can I'm sure

We have actually switched to all newly manufactured pumps. as wideopen mentioned the difference for a rebuild vs. going to a newer, better piece is minute.

-Dalton

FTI Performance
Competition Converters and Racing Transmissions
"Some call it cheating, we call it the competitive edge."
www.FTIPerformance.com
info@ftiperformance.com

Posts: 160 | Location: Deland, FL | Registered: August 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of suprodn
posted Hide Post
I understand what others are saying but for me it’s hard to wrap my head around throwing away pg pumps with minimal wear. With replacement gears and a stator tube costing $100 and a new pump being 400 plus thought there would be a worth while alternative in refurbished pumps.

Posts: 63 | Location: Watchn my motor go boom on the dyno | Registered: April 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post

Posts: 81 | Location: Jersey | Registered: June 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
get a new high volume pump if a pump is needed.if not having any trouble then keep on trucking.the high volume pumps are a good fix to lots of problems,even if not recognized

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1404 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Well I will put this out there although he made me really mad last time I dealt with him and stopped going back but check with Rossler Transmission.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of jmarkaudio
posted Hide Post
I just went thru the same on mine. It's not that I didn't have enough pump parts to put together a good piece, I just felt that with the power I have off the line the old pumps would continue to have failure issues. I spun an aftermarket tube in a stock pump. I bought the new pump from FTI, nice piece.

Mark Whitener
RFD Heads
FTI Converter
Fab Shop Headers
Home built 2 circuit Dominator :-)
www.racingfuelsystems.com

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.

Posts: 1047 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
I have built many. If the core is good, it’s not hard to make a good race pump. They work well and save you money, if that matters.
Some basic steps. Buy hardened stator tube, buy new pump gears, press out old stator tube and flat mill the stator half. Align and press in new stator tube. You don’t need over sized gears or need to weld in the new tube.
You’ll need to make a few mods to the stator half, but they are simple and you only need a hand drill. Check pump gear clearances.
I sold many on eBay until cores started drying up.

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12149 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I had about 100 cores laying around from different builds....

Nobody wanted them. Shipping costs add to the cost of the re-manufacturing process, I guess to the point where it wasn't a big difference between new and used. After contacting about 25 different places and nobody wanted them, they went to scrap. Local guy didn't even want them and I'd have given them to him. If I had the machinery to mill the halves, I'd have kept & built them myself, but the money didn't really add up if I'd paid someone to machine all of them.

Posts: 540 | Location: central Ar | Registered: June 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mavman:
I had about 100 cores laying around from different builds....

Nobody wanted them. Shipping costs add to the cost of the re-manufacturing process, I guess to the point where it wasn't a big difference between new and used. After contacting about 25 different places and nobody wanted them, they went to scrap. Local guy didn't even want them and I'd have given them to him. If I had the machinery to mill the halves, I'd have kept & built them myself, but the money didn't really add up if I'd paid someone to machine all of them.

I was in the same boat as you. Saved all the old pumps and bands that I replaced. I sent a message to FTI and they didn't want them so a couple of weeks ago I got tired of looking/tripping over them and gave them to a guy who collects metal.
But I have and do replace worn gears if the pump halves are good.

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3306 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
If any of you guys still have the old pumps, give the Long boys from Dales A-1 Transmissions in Mitchell SD a call. Last I heard the old pumps were hard to find and they sure have worked great for many decades, especially if machined and built properly.

Shane Carr

"Sugar Shane"

Posts: 119 | Location: No clue | Registered: March 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of T/D6591
posted Hide Post
I have a few boxes of both pump and band cores that i would like to get rid of.

Posts: 1708 | Location: Portland,Oregon | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
Minimize your opportunities for failure...replace the pump...you can polish a turd...its still a turd.

Would you rebuild your oil pump in your motor?

Cost new vs rebuilt...no brianer.

Posts: 1751 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Would you rebuild your oil pump in your motor?

As a matter of fact, yes. I have swapped parts around, different cover with a different pickup, gears swapped around, cleaned up burs, nothing wrong with reusing good engine oil pumps and nothing wrong with good, used trans pumps.

Although it is sometimes a challenge to find advantages to being old, one advantage is coming from a conservative time in history, and time when we went to the salvage yard and bought used pasts because it was all we could do.

I became a mechanic for several reasons, one was out of necessity. If I broke a trans or rear end, it was up to me to repair it the best I could within my budget.

Later, I became a successful shop owner, owning and operating Woodfin Automotive for 45 years. Yet, never forgetting the roots that are hanging with me today. I do have the funds to buy a new engine oil pump or a new trans pump. Yet, if I have good used parts, they will be considered.

And for the record, my race packages run well, win and last season after season.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1828 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
With all due respect, this is a matter of opinion and the pumps are cheap in comparison to the cost of engines and transmissions. My team makes many passes per year, (977) this year, and its simply not worth the risk to run refurbished parts with expensive new ones when fluid flow is involved. JMO

Again, we all have our opinions, I certainly respect yours Larry.

Posts: 1751 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Yes, respect all around, as you explained, simply different opinions from different experiences.

I offer a toast to 2019!

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1828 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post