DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Titanium retainer life
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Titanium retainer life
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted
I don't know how old mine are at this point. Not new. they have a few spring scuffs etc. How do you judge the condition of these things? And what is the favored material now? Titanium or tool steel?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6352 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Usually until they show a spring path track. About 4 seasons maybe 800 to 1000 passes. I run about 280 seat pressure 750 open.

The difference between ignorance and stupidity. Ignorance is lack of knowledge. Stupidity is the inability to learn. Don't be stupid

Posts: 394 | Location: des moines iowa | Registered: January 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
These have probably been around the block longer than that.
What is the material of choice today?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6352 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
even on top alchol motors never had one go bad,but then they only turn 9500 to 11000 rpm. LOL

Plus with very little material removed they can be used in smaller springs like the ones on both of my Harley's.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4162 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
In all the years, i have never worried about retainers. It is the locks that get changed and a closer inspection of the lock fillet on the valve.

Posts: 1408 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Ya after looking up titanium life cycle time I stand corrected. I will probably never by another set.I agree lock condition and valve are very important.Change locks with springs.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: vetman,

The difference between ignorance and stupidity. Ignorance is lack of knowledge. Stupidity is the inability to learn. Don't be stupid

Posts: 394 | Location: des moines iowa | Registered: January 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
They get changed???

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Mark?Note my signature

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vetman:
Mark?Note my signature

Chill dude, I was kidding.....mine are still good, 400+ on the seat and 1200 open...fourth set of springs.....hardly a mark on them

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
One of the most overlooked item are the valve locks. Valve surge/loads have an adverse effect on the locks.Ever see the tiny shiny wear area on a lock?.New springs new locks every time. Whether it's 1 spring or 16. It's always been one of those so called. "Out of site, Out of mind. Until the valve decides to leave the area.Learned a long time ago. The hard way.

Posts: 1408 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
....hardly a mark on them

Interesting, I bought a set of used Merlin III heads and the Ti retainers were so gouged out by the ribbon between the inner & outer springs there was no doubt I wouldn't reuse them. Maybe it suffered from spring surge/harmonics???

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2324 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Maybe wrong spring for cam lobe or valve floated a lot. Bill Jenkins called those dampers little saws! Sorry Mark reflex reaction. Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: vetman,

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canted Valve:
quote:
....hardly a mark on them

Interesting, I bought a set of used Merlin III heads and the Ti retainers were so gouged out by the ribbon between the inner & outer springs there was no doubt I wouldn't reuse them. Maybe it suffered from spring surge/harmonics???

You aren't supposed to use a Titanium retainers with a spring having a flat wound damper, for that very reason.
I've heard you can disassembly the spring, deburr, smooth, reshape and polish the end or the damper so it is no longer acting like a tiny chisel against the retainer, but I've never done it....just always used springs with no damper assembly.

Posts: 10 | Location: Lower Michigan | Registered: April 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
You aren't supposed to use a Titanium retainers with a spring having a flat wound damper, for that very reason.

Interesting. These heads came off a Bill Mitchell crate engine. I would have expected better from good ole Bill.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2324 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Measure the i.d.of the hole at the bottom of a Ti retainer where the valve locks reside on a well used retainer...Then measure that same hole on a brand new Ti retainer of the same manufacture...
You will be surprised especially in applications with high cylinder pressure....Blown applications especially...008"-.012" wear in there..Valve locks do pull thu..Wear marks not always visible in retainer well...Inspect locks carefully....

Posts: 225 | Location: North Royalton Ohio US*** | Registered: January 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post