DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Apd billet 1450 on alky with 555 big duke 18deg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apd billet 1450 on alky with 555 big duke 18deg
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bob Murphy Jr
posted
I have a 555 with 18 deg heads with a new Apd billet 1450.
My old carb (older 1150) I allways ran it went like 7.56-57 anywhere and nasty

this all new billet 1450 yesterday at maple grove
7.46 @ 179
7.43 @ 181
Woulda been on a 46 next pass
Pass after woulda been on a 42
Pass after woulda been on a 45
Last pass woulda been on a 47

Today went at maple
7.46@178
7.49@177

Is it too much carb u think.

Ps
My other car with a none billet 1250 with a 588 dart 345 heads was going 7.62 to maybe low 63 every pass same 2 days

Went from not focus on driving and being sloppy to tryin to tune something new to me that was to be a better option. Some one said fattin it. Some said lean it. Some said go back to old. Gettin better o2 sencor and rpack psi reader bc it just so happens this year they both went bad or acted up outa no where. Not sure if anyone ran this style carb cfm with similar motor and have a jet or air bleed setting.

Posts: 214 | Location: Downingtown, pa | Registered: September 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Stephen Hughes
posted Hide Post
Based of of your info, My first thought would be that the bigger carb isnt getting enough signal and isnt pulling enough fuel. My stuff on alky acts crazy when it’s lean, but the mph swings on yours makes me think it’s not consistently pulling fuel due to poor signal. I am by no means a carb expert, but that would be the area I would look first.

The Pull-Out....for when you want to work smarter, not harder!!!

Posts: 336 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
How much RPM are you turning this motor too?

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bob Murphy Jr
posted Hide Post
Launch @ 4600
Shift at 7200
Trap at 7350

And yea. I’m tryin to get hands on few things to read if lean or fat. Usually at this time year my older carb would pop in good air but still be good. But even better in the heat. This didn’t do none of that but was all over the place on et and mph

Posts: 214 | Location: Downingtown, pa | Registered: September 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Curious if you called APD

Posts: 783 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bob Murphy Jr
posted Hide Post
No. Not real good on the phone getting info. That’s y I try on forums with things or text so I can keep going back and looking at what said to try

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
From what I've seen, alky carbs tend to work better when they are sized a bit smaller than gas. You need to pull lots of fuel and need signal to do that....1450 is a big carb on that small of an engine, and running alky will compound that....Mark Whitener can help you out, jmarkaudio on here.....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post