DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Another Freaking Glide Question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another Freaking Glide Question
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted
Just asking what if anything someone else has found causing this issue..

Car was steadily slowing down, and not launching as hard as normal. They suspected converter was going away. So when they were changing converter, he found metal in the fluid. They brought it to me to tear down.
They had already cleaned the trans inside so I can't really say what type metal they found.

Low gear band is lightly burnt all the way around on the two outside segments, high gear frictions are lightly burnt and steels have hot spots.

It has a dual ring servo.

My thoughts either pump is worn causing low pressure, pump sealing rings to drum leaking, leakage in servo, shift linkage not adjusted properly (although trans brake worked and it did go in all gears)

I'm still troubleshooting but on disassembly I haven't had anything obvious jump out at me.

Thoughts?

Dave

DC1: heading back to shop so will check in later.

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3306 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FTI
posted Hide Post
do you have a racepack sensor on transmission pressure to monitor?

Greg

FTI Performance
Competition Converters and Racing Transmissions
"Some call it cheating, we call it the competitive edge."
www.FTIPerformance.com
info@ftiperformance.com

Posts: 160 | Location: Deland, FL | Registered: August 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FTI:
do you have a racepack sensor on transmission pressure to monitor?

Greg

He doesn't have any data collection..

What I have done.. Replaced friction, steels, band, pump gears, installed new pressure regulator spring, all internal seals and rings. Basically a complete freshen/rebuild.

Something odd that I found was pump gears had 2 different clearances drive gear was .007 and driven was .0025. After replacing them clearance was .002. otherwise pump looked good. No scaring.

I was told that they spent a lot of time adjusting the shift linkage so I'm leaning towards that more than anything.

All replacement parts came from FTI.. LOL

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3306 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FTI
posted Hide Post
Gotcha, it only takes one time out of adjustment to singe them.

Greg

FTI Performance
Competition Converters and Racing Transmissions
"Some call it cheating, we call it the competitive edge."
www.FTIPerformance.com
info@ftiperformance.com

Posts: 160 | Location: Deland, FL | Registered: August 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bob Nichols
posted Hide Post
You also don't know the history on the high gear drum. Some "rebuilders" will polish them to remove hot spots and wear marks. Once undersize, the band will never hold correctly.

Posts: 157 | Location: Charlestown, IN U.S.A | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post