Share |
DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    The B B B B [basic Buick bracket build] or, "this is not your Fathers Oldsmobile"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The B B B B [basic Buick bracket build] or, "this is not your Fathers Oldsmobile"
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
The new year and we begin construction of the 4B project. [see subject line] When axles are missing, just drag it out of the shop.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1126 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
draging frame

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1126 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Diamond in the rough

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
1949 Studebaker tow truck. The wrecking year is even much older than the truck. The 4 B core was the newest piece on the lot.

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Just as well get with it

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
the beginning of cuts

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
cuts

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
WOW! Larry you guy's are taking on a good one...this will be fun.

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2119 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
RED,

our core team [Jeff, Monte, and myself] has been pondering for some time about our next build. After considering a long list of pros and cons we began to focus in on a G body. They work well, easy to build, parts still plentiful, many check marks on the pro side of the list.

I put the word out to find a Regal body and in a few days, this one was discovered three miles from my shop.

Please stay tuned and watch for a few different ideas. One modification I have in mind is about the body to frame mounts. The factory cushions between body and frame are about 1" thick. The plan is to eliminate those mounts and set the body directly on the frame for a small lowering of the "look" Some of the floor areas will be sliced to allow some of the frame to fit through the floor.

More soon.

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
Larry, when I saw you using the original frame and that G body I knew you would be producing a very cool build. I be right here watching as your mods take place. What's been going on with the S10 .... I hear some talk of the interior stripped to the bare bones , but then some talk of not doing that.. So what's the scoop ?

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2119 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
RED, I sold the S-10 to Troy Morgan. We flip-flopped some then settled into upgrading it with carpet and factory door panels. The dash is still under consideration.

To review, Troy has a very successful Monte Carlo G body I built and sold to him some years ago. It began its drag race career as an IHRA Crate Motor stocker, then foot brake, then super pro before selling it to Troy. When I began the Super 10, Troy said, "when you are ready to sell, it's mine" There is a thread about the Super 10 and it will be back with updates in a few weeks.

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Other notes of interest, The 4 B will have a four-link with 32 x 14 tire. The front suspension will be mostly factory with a 2" drop spindle. It will be completely built in-house with a close eye on cost savings, yet it will be a very solid, very competitive piece.

Larry Woodfin

DRR Top Comp
Picture of ChuckT
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to this one even more than your always well thought out builds.

'81 Cutlass, KX05, Keystone Raceway Park
Millerstown Pic-A-Part, Tarentum, PA
Wholesale Transmission, New Kensington, PA
Thinking of Nikki and Mark - forever 53

Posts: 7123 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: December 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Jim Cornett
posted Hide Post
Need a driver? I just happen to know of a few guys that would love to pilot one of your creations. Lol. Relaxing

winners practice til they get it right........
champions practice til they can't get it wrong.

Posts: 179 | Location: Jefferson, Texas, U.S.A. | Registered: December 02, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Jim, This one is mine [for nowSmile] I also have five Grandchildren and it is possible one of them will raise their hand.

Stand by, you are young.

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
a hard, dirty job, requires keeping your eye on the prize [and dirt dobber nest]

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
With other builds, I have constructed the new rear frame section by mitering 2 x 2 tubing, custom cut and welded to fit as needed. This build will experiment with several ideas that have been perking for a while.

These frame rails are Chassis Engineering, 2 x 3 .120 wall with the four-link brackets welded in their jig. The pricing is very reasonable. "some trimming and fitting requiredSmile" We knew thatSmile

More photos of this area of work later.

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
The preliminary rough cuts allowing a 32 x 14 tire. The stance will be "low"

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
32 x 14

Larry Woodfin