DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Intake suggestion
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Intake suggestion
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Ah, the return of the turtle!

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2331 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
and who told you to send that manifold to Brandywine? Wink

HVH sbc manifold fully ported by Brandywine with elephant ears and turtle

and my Vic jr. BBC manifold on my 532 with the plenum cut down and elephant ears also done by Brandywine...

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
quote:
and who told you to send that manifold to Brandywine?

You did and I was second guessing it right up until the first pass Razz

Looks like I got the budget version of the turtle Big Grin

Posts: 1421 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
You sure did, that’s ugly but if it works, who cares.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Novacaine:
quote:
Originally posted by 1800gb:
The 2927 intake is the same I run on my 565....but the cam is close to what I run in my 427...765/714...

The cam was designed from Chris strube
I'm pretty sure whomever gave you that combination have run it in something with success,don't know why you seem to be coming up a little short.Just mentioned the cam because of the simularity of it to my 427 that have been 5.98 in full body 69 nova.The 5.65 in my 67 Camaro,which is a little lighter than the Novas ,at 2700lbs with driver,run the Rher-morrison 420-116 quite a few people use.But light on compression at 12.9 for possible Nos use.Not enough seat time on it yet,but have been High 5.30's,avr low 5.40's. 1.19-1.21 60ft at 127-128 mph......

Posts: 262 | Location: Fayetteville | Registered: May 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Novacaine
posted Hide Post
I just had a chance to check my stall. It is 6200. Since I have the right stall . Why is it off 2 tenths?

Posts: 214 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just had a chance to check my stall. It is 6200. Since I have the right stall . Why is it off 2 tenths?

Last time we had this conversation I explained this.

Now that you're happy with the stall, to find out if there's any room for improvement, you figure out how efficient the converter is. This is my 9" Cortina core on a 5.20 132 mph lap 3000 lb sbc car on a 275 radial. To figure slip I divide 7438/7785 - 1. = 4.45% slip before the finish line at the trace. This means it'll slip around 3.75% @ 136 - 137 mph 8200 rpm, when we get it up to speed. So we can go 140 mph with this converter and gear under our 8500 rpm redline. So this is perfect, no room for improvement.

To figure your converter and gear to check for improvement we need the tire size, current mph, current gear, current rpm at stripe to see what it's slipping at the stripe now.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:

How do you know you have the right stall and how did you check it? Further, What are the cam specs and why do you think you’re running 2 tenths slow?

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Novacaine
posted Hide Post
I pulled out the chip held the transbrake button and floored it came to 6200. When Chris strube said it would run 560. Most people running a 555 say it should run 560,570. The cam I have seems a little small when I had Jones cams and bullet recommended one there's are higher lifts.

Posts: 214 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
unless you need to have a playback tach at a minimum to know your actual converter flash and fall back aka true stall.

That said, you still haven’t listed all the cam specs and you aren’t helping yourself buying cams from the internet salesmen who are neither cam grinders, engine builders or racers.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
I pulled out the chip held the transbrake button and floored it came to 6200. When Chris strube said it would run 560. Most people running a 555 say it should run 560,570. The cam I have seems a little small when I had Jones cams and bullet recommended one there's are higher lifts.

I'll put to you this way, if you aren't crossing a couple hundred rpm above the rpm you shift, it has room for improvement.

If you have a 6200 converter and you're shifting 7400, the converter is at the least 200 rpm too tight.

If you're shifting 7400 rpm and crossing the stripe 7000, you need more gear to make the converter more efficient and rpm higher at stripe to improve et.

What you shift at, tells you what stall rpm you need, for best performance.

It's not like you're gonna change the cam and pick up a tenth, if the gear - converter combo is out in left field. That approach is how you get chasing your tail throwing money at it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Novacaine
posted Hide Post
This is the cam specs.
@50. 275 285
Lift. 765. 748
Cl. 105. 113
Installed @ 109

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is the cam specs.
@50. 275 285
Lift. 765. 748
Cl. 105. 113
Installed @ 109

I'd be looking to pickup power too if I were you, not for the reason that may pop in your mind , but to bring the converter inline with the combo. If you can work 50 hp out of this, the converter is gonna be more suited. What does this have, a timing chain or belt? Did you degree it or someone else? How much piston to valve clearance do you have? A chain will retard the cam when running, have you considered advancing the camshaft? If you have your heart set on a new cam, I suppose if you insist before trying anything, I could suggest that, I suppose. Confused

I saw this on FB, it may help you. https://www.facebook.com/photo...=gm.1840792076096065

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Novacaine
posted Hide Post
It's a chain , I set it on 107. Had plenty on valve clearance. I building a second 555 is why I asking about the cam. I want to one in it to work. Just making sure I get the right one for the second 555.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's a chain , I set it on 107. Had plenty on valve clearance.

If you have FB, check this, it may help in your understanding of gear ratio - converter. https://www.facebook.com/photo...=gm.1840792076096065

Also, I wouldn't be afraid to advance it from 107 with a chain, at all. It's the first thing to do pretty much. You do this to see if you can save from sending the converter for an adjustment. 6200 is a little tight powerglide transmission.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's a chain , I set it on 107. Had plenty on valve clearance. I building a second 555 is why I asking about the cam. I want to one in it to work. Just making sure I get the right one for the second 555.

Well, I can just about guarantee this, if I hurt the camshaft in my engine, I'd be surprised if I got another, even the same part # , as good. That's why you wanna work a liitle with what you have before disgarding it as the wrong cam, it might be the right cam! I've seen people do the same with torque converters, not knowing how good a piece they had. I have a converter in my car now someone disgarded. Its a good one believe me

This is where the saying in the right hands come from. Work on it a little before coming to conclusions, trust me there's a lot left, pay attention to the converter. It will tell you when you're going in the right direction.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Even with a good chain like a Rollmaster, I'd move it 103 104. With a chain they retard, running.

Look at the converter right after moving it, it'll tell you.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
You really cant go wrong with A cam made by Mike Jones. He has made a few cams for myself and for my customers. They have all been spot on. The run of the mill cams that are mass produced can be off a bit. I have sent more than one back to the manufacturer.
To check and see if your engine wants a bit more duration you can tighten your lash a bit and give it a go.
Just out of curiosity , how many runs are on the valve springs? Some springs give up a bit after a few runs.
As for convertors, I am not an expert to say the least as I am coming from the centrifugal clutch deal. I have spoken with Marty Chance and others speak highly of him. I have purchased one of his convertors knowing that it may have a bit of tuning needed to get it dialed in. From reading some of Mike's posts on this thread, I believe he can steer you in the correct direction on convertors.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TD1964,

Posts: 97 | Location: Atlanta “Land Soft--Kill Quiet” | Registered: January 21, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I'm giving away my secrets now, but I've always followed this man RIP.

Never lead me wrong.

Comment on timing chains & piston to valve clearance.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Novacaine
posted Hide Post
This is a new build. I have maybe 12 passes on it.
I checked my paper work. I put it in at 109. With a 105 in and 113 ext it has a 109 cl. I should have advanced it 4 degrees at 105. That might be the whole problem.