Opinion
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted
Has anyone used a reground cam?
What was your experience?

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3304 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Covey:

Dave

I think it's okay if the original would have been to much to start with. I would use LSM for such a deal.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Lunati did one for I. Had a little tiny nick in the nose of the cam, from a rod bolt.

sbc 434 no raised cam block, of course.

I'd imagine any good cam grinder can do it, with their eyes closed.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Bullet
Have your plan in mind and call.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1621 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Covey:

Dave

Had a very similar cam reground in to what we needed. 50 runs later during routine inspection we found a lobe that was wearing out. Conclusion we came to was the regrind went through the hardening and they either didn’t harden it again or thought it didn’t need it.

Posts: 712 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
That's a depends question. I would not do it without talking to the original cam company, they need to know the core they used and the new profile you want. If it requires to much grinding which causes the surface to get to close to the extent of the hardening, it will fail shortly in use.

If it's a tool steel core, you are good to regrind!

Posts: 2145 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Had one of my Blower cams reground for my Hemi and so far so good. Only half dozen runs on it , so probably to early to say good or bad. Now I only had 10* ground out of cam in hopes of not needing too much removed and being ground past hardness.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wideopen231,

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4176 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
It is a LSM roller cam, billet steel.

Going past the hardening is my concern. Oregon cams said they would not harden it cost more than buying new.

I have a comp cam that I think will clean up no problem but the LSM one was hit fairly hard. I would like to use the LSM cam.

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3304 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Scrap....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
What’s the possibility of getting a new cam ground to match the lsm cam you want to use? In my opinion that cam is already beyond re use.

Posts: 487 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I am pretty sure that is past saving.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3989 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
I am pretty sure that is past saving.

That's pretty much where I'm at. Just hate to not see what I could do.

Wooley, This is the 2nd exact cam I have bought from LSM. Looks like they will get to grind me another one.. Frown

Dave

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I had a valve train issue that bit me twice and I tossed 2 R-M #420-116 cams in the dumpster

Reground cams will end up smaller and weaker
The deeper the damage the more it would need to be ground
The more it gets ground it will reduce the O.D. of the base circle

Years ago we had cams reground and those cams broke more parts.....led to valve float and bad harmonics up into the top end...

Todays cams are going bigger to better deal with higher spring pressures commonly run....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
I would call it kids souvenir at that point and I am broke dyck.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4176 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of 434 olds
posted Hide Post
Throw that shyt in the garbage.

Worlds Quickest And Fastest 71 Cutlass On The Planet Earth

Posts: 536 | Location: Oak ridge, N.J | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
a repaired/reground cam nor a repaired/welded/ground crank belongs going back in a race engine.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
There's no correct answer for every case, some can be saved and some are going in the scrap bin. I've experienced both cases and been successful with a marginally damaged cam, just be aware that it can influence the valve train geometry.

Bob

Posts: 3080 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
OK Guy's I got it.. Not worth doing, so I will just get another one, and toss the ones laying around.

If I could melt the broke dyke cams I have laying around I could probably build a car with the metal. I just hate to throw them away IF they could be used. This is actually the first time I had thought of regrinding them.

Dave

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
You can have cams reground but there is not really any real room to change things much due to the heat treat, it simply does not get that deep. Also some of these companies seem to like to grind new stuff really close to the base circle new which leave nothing. Having said that the one you pictured is now "art".

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 985 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Not knowing the limitations of regrinding, I sent a cam in, for analysis, with much less damage and all I accomplished was wasting money on freight. While they didn't laugh to my face I always suspected they were chuckling under their breath at such a rookie.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2331 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post