DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    House of payne big dawg starter size question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

House of payne big dawg starter size question
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bob Murphy Jr
posted Hide Post
Are these the fastest spinning starters? I have 2 cars with high compression and all suddenly after spending an f ton upgrading both rails the crank like crap. I don’t honk it’s battery’s bc I tried 3 diff known working optima red tops. Looking to get a decent priced starters instead putting 16v in the car

Posts: 214 | Location: Downingtown, pa | Registered: September 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
The 139 ULTIMATE BIG DOG is the best made....an Yes I’ve tried um all...

Posts: 1258 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Murphy Jr:
Are these the fastest spinning starters? I have 2 cars with high compression and all suddenly after spending an f ton upgrading both rails the crank like crap. I don’t honk it’s battery’s bc I tried 3 diff known working optima red tops. Looking to get a decent priced starters instead putting 16v in the car

Not saying you haven't. Have you done the proper voltage drop test? What size cable?

Here is a real easy write-up about it.

https://www.yellowbullet.com/f...wthread.php?t=229395

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TD3550,

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I have 2 Big Dawg 139's and they are 5 years old and so is the flexplate…..a J-W liteweight…..has holes in it.....and has been re-certed….

I replace the drive retraction springs occasionally. Takes maybe a half an hour tops to do the spring.

A notorious problem with Hitachi type starters since day one.....
The spring fails, drive does not retract fully or extend fully...If you fix it as soon as you hear anything not right your starter and flexplate will live a long life...

I have 2 so I can change a starter very quickly if I have to but that's never happened...

2 12 volt batteries and those starters spin my motor like the plugs are out....and many times during a race weekend.....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post