Find
Notify
Tools

MFI filter
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
Never been huge fan of filter on MFI. I see benefits , just always had blower motor where any restriction other than jetting wasn't good thing.

New system I have is high pressure which means smaller nozzles and real easy to get plugged. Looking for input on filters.What your using and thoughts on it.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4185 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Do not use a filter on high pressure side it will clog and crush. Then does not flow good. Been there done that.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4010 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I have always used an inlet filter before the pump. I don't know what kind of pressure you are looking at with your system. But virtually ALL of the EFI users use a filter after the pump and before the fuel rails. Many are what I would call higher pressure. And many are making over 1500 hp on one belt drive pump.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6405 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
I run a filter on mine mounted about 6 feet before the pump.

Filter

Only thing bad is it says it compatible with alcohol but it isn't. Screen is mounted with epoxy which deteriorated.
I replaced it with one from FIE which is soldered.
FIE Filter

Recommend running one.. Every time I clean it I always have trash and I filter my fuel before putting it in the jugs..

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3309 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Ron’s filter ahead of the pump, always worked fine. Kinsler makes some really nice looking filters also.

Never have understood the no filter thing. I removed my tank this winter and cleaned it out. Fuel is always filtered before it goes in. Two races into the season and you can see some dirt on the bottom of the tank. I was pitted out in the “bowl” at Phoenix. If the wind is blowing you can’t help but get some crap in the tank. At least not in this part of the world.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5310 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
On the Rons system I had a filter in front of the pump

On the blower motor I have a System 1 filter after the pump because I have a #16 line feeded the pump

Posts: 2427 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
WO,

Not all filters are created the same. As I'm sure you know MFI depends on the pump flowing its full capability each and every pass. Any change in flow changes the amount of fuel to the engine. That said you should choose a filter from a fuel injection company as they are designed to work with MFI. Probably the biggest factor is the micron rating of the filter. Ron's filers are 100 micron along with lots of surface area and do not clog, crush or restrict flow like some other generic filters on the market. I've lost track how many times we've troubleshot a problem down to a filter issue that was due to the flow capability of the filter.

Scott

Posts: 1838 | Location: Illinois | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
https://kinsler.com/Shop/produ.../filters/brl-series/

I have been using this Kinsler filter for almost 20 years. I keep the tank clean, screen the fuel when filling.
This filter installed just downstream from the pump.

NO filter between tank and pump

-12 line to the pump. -6 from pump to fuel inlet

540 BBC Ron's Terminator, Hilborn pump, Summers Bros. gear drive

Posts: 235 | Location: Justin, TX | Registered: July 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cashflow:
Ron’s filter ahead of the pump, always worked fine. Kinsler makes some really nice looking filters also.

Never have understood the no filter thing. I removed my tank this winter and cleaned it out. Fuel is always filtered before it goes in. Two races into the season and you can see some dirt on the bottom of the tank. I was pitted out in the “bowl” at Phoenix. If the wind is blowing you can’t help but get some crap in the tank. At least not in this part of the world.

Run a system where 1050* might hurt bearing or two (not a issue) and 1100* means you probably killed a soilder ( not huge but a issue) and you will consider anything that might restrict flow as major. Like I said I see benefits and filters have improved in past 15 years also as has lots of parts.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4185 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
A clogged nozzle will ruin your day in a big hurry too though.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6405 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I have an aeromotive 100 micron on my pump outlet. According to Spuds calculator, my pump pressure should be well over 200 when I have the big boy tuneup installed. I check the filter every few months, never see anything too bad but still wouldn't want to run without it.

I have a small kinsler filter after the pump on the bracket car. System pressure is under 100 on that one.

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
We filter the fuel from the drum to the jug, jug to the tank, and tank to the pump. After that, it's on it's own.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
Just for information purposes..

Ron's basket style filter which is his High Flow filters at 100 microns, which means it will filter anything .004 or larger. No info on the square inches of area.

The FIE filter filters at 63 micron which means it will filter anything .002 or larger and it's area is 56 square inches.

I think it's pretty safe to say either will do the job since I don't know of anyone running a jet or main .002 that what got through would clog it.

My reasoning for putting a filter before the pump is first to prevent trash from going through the system but also to prevent wear to the pump. Also I put the filter as far from the pump as possible to hopefully prevent cavitation.

Someone with a fuel pump flow bench should do a test and show what happens when the filter is before/after, too small, and distance from pump.. Hey Kohler, what do you say??

LOL

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3309 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Team C
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Roger McGinnis:
We filter the fuel from the drum to the jug, jug to the tank, and tank to the pump. After that, it's on it's own.

^^^^This!

Posts: 20 | Location: Glasgow, VA | Registered: July 19, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
I found this flow information on filters from Aaron. But it's on the output side of the pump.

Filter flow test

Dave

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Roger McGinnis:

I do this also. But last time I took my filter apart I found some pretty good sized chunks of stuff.

Dave