DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Water neck issue ???
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Water neck issue ???
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
I have an aftermarket water neck and when I bought it I think it would leak water at the cap around 170. I put on a 22-24 lb cap 175 would push water out at cap. I ran it cooler than that and was ok. Put on 20Lb cap pushes water at 160. So I'm thinking housing is issue. Going to buy new neck but thought I would ask if anyone else had a similar issue and what did you do to fix it. Thanks for your time.

Jeff McClure

Posts: 240 | Location: Texas | Registered: December 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
whose fill neck and whose cap?

Buy one of these
https://www.collectortethers.c...-Filler-Neck_c44.htm

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Ed I won't disclose that as I'm not sure this is the issue and if it is. I won't bash a product. As nothing is perfect and maybe just one got out that wasn't right. I'm just looking to see if anyone else had a similar issue and what was the cure. Thanks for the reply though.

Jeff McClure

Posts: 240 | Location: Texas | Registered: December 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
it's either...

1. the cheap cap that's made in china or mexico
2. an improper cut fill neck receiver groove
3. a failing head gasket pressurizing the cooling system

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ed not head gasket leaning to water neck tried 3 caps. I think it might be slightly unlevel or to thick or thin up top where cap holds. Just not sure. I'm sure it's a rare issue as I have never experienced this issue and I have been racing since 1980. I am looking at that water neck you posted. Going to order a new one tonight as I will need it this weekend. Thanks Ed

Jeff McClure

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
The MEZIERE cap will fix your issue

Posts: 1250 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Thanks Whomp I may buy both and can always use old water neck if this solves problem. If not I have an option on the neck.

Jeff McClure

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smokinjeff:
Thanks Whomp I may buy both and can always use old water neck if this solves problem. If not I have an option on the neck.

Be aware that the Mezeire cap does not work on the Collector Tether water neck. I wish they did because individually both are great products.

This may have changed and I'm sure Scott can chime in and say for sure.

Posts: 632 | Location: Rochester, WA | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post
The Meziere cap DOES work on our water necks. The very first designs it didn't as we mimicked the Goza neck which doesn't also, but for about the past 3 years they do. A very nice product.

Rad Caps ARE an issue. We've found a pretty big variance in depths. There is a "standard" that they're suppose to adhere to but...

20-23lb cap shouldn't open until about 185. You get about 3-4 degrees out of each 1-lb variance from that.

Stant seems to be well made and that's who makes the guts for the Meziere also. What I feel is nicer about ours is that you can replace the cap anytime you want for about $15 and still have the safety of the Girdle.

Needless to say, I've learned a lot about these systems after selling around 1k of them now.

I will say it is possible to have a head gasket issue and not know it or hard to check for it. If you have pressure in your water system the next day after running the car, you have an issue.

Holler if you need any other info!

Posts: 2101 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DragRaceResults:
The Meziere cap DOES work on our water necks. The very first designs it didn't as we mimicked the Goza neck which doesn't also, but for about the past 3 years they do. A very nice product.

That explains why it would not work on mine. I bought one of your water necks right after they were released. Last year I bought the Mezeire cap and it would not go on.

Posts: 632 | Location: Rochester, WA | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I have the collectorteathers neck very nice piece I will add I went thru a few caps trying to get one that sealed believe I ended up with a Stant and still had to squeeze tabs to close them up a bit

Posts: 386 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of 1leg
posted Hide Post
The other issue you might be having is air in the system. When you fill from the water neck it is very hard to get all the air out of the system.

I have seen alot of brand new rad caps be bad out of the box. We go through a lot of caps and I can tell you the consistance from 1 cap to the next is not good. We measure and test each of our safe caps after assembly.

Meziere Tech.
Make sure your water pump is on whenever you check your coolant level.

Posts: 235 | Location: Escondido | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post