DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    3rd gen Camaro hood scoop
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

3rd gen Camaro hood scoop
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
I am looking for your experiences in ref to 3rd gen Camaro hood scoops and isolators of any style or configuration.

This is for my 1982 Camaro "Lamplighter" project. The projected performance in 5.80's 1/8 mile [9.20's 1/4 mile] It will be a 414 SBC of around 760 horse.

On track performance, and experience is what I seek.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1829 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Merry I don't know if you have facebook, but if you do, reach out to my freind Matt Walter. He faces a very nice 3rd gen and had used both cowl and a forward facing scoop. He can give you his experience. Look up Walter racecraft

Posts: 493 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Sorry spell check changes your name. Ment to type Larry.

Posts: 493 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Would you consider using a cowel hood? Or are you already decided that’ll only be a scoop?

Posts: 2456 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Mark,

any configuration is to be considered.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1829 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of AlkyIROC
posted Hide Post
I've had a few different styles over the years. One thing I have noticed is that any forward facing scoop grabs a LOT of air.

I've had a 6" cowl. Lots of room under it but very hard to see around it especially when driving through the pits.

I grafted a low, maybe 2-1/2" cowl onto an OEM fiberglass hood. With a tunnel ram, I still needed a hole in the top and to cover the open toilets, I installed a low profile bolt on aero scoop. There was just enough room under the scoop for the toilets to fit without air filters. Ran it like that for quite a few years. Going through the traps at the top end, a dash cam could easily see how much the back of the hood would rise up with the scoop grabbing air.

I finally removed the low profile aero scoop and installed a Hilborn style scoop directly to the engine. Looks much nicer and it's a lot easier to see around it.

www.hardtail.com Stephen's Racing Page
Best ET: 9.029
Best MPH: 150.45

Posts: 1352 | Location: Calgary | Registered: June 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post