New
Find
Notify
Tools

Screw Loose
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
I find that about every 100 runs I have to check the screws holding the rotor on my MSD Pro Billet Distributor. On more than one occasion I have found them loose. I try to tighten them all I dare, but sooner or later they come loose. I run a crank trigger ignition, so there is not much inside the distributor. Is this just common maintenance, or do I have something going wrong?

Posts: 86 | Location: Abilene, Texas | Registered: July 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I have the same experience. A very small drop of blue loc tite is your friend.

Posts: 493 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Same here, Loctite FTW

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of T/D6591
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by "The Bender":
Same here, Loctite FTW
But you still have a screw loose,lol Full Moon

Posts: 1708 | Location: Portland,Oregon | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I think it picks up a lot of "rattle" from the cam and oil pump. And yes, a drop of locktite on the screwa is a good idea.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1830 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 23taltered
posted Hide Post
I have some loctite "purple" extra low strength for this kind of stuff

Bill Huntington
GZMOTORSPORTS.com

gzmotorsports.com/video/PRI2010.wmv

Posts: 163 | Location: Northern Cal | Registered: January 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T/D6591:
quote:
Originally posted by "The Bender":
Same here, Loctite FTW
But you still have a screw loose,lol Full Moon

LOL, and Loctite won't help either.....

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
loc-tite,then a dab of silicone on top of screw heads

Posts: 19 | Location: florida | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Same problem, the beveled “locking” washers are useless, loctite the two buggers. Problem solved.

Bob

Posts: 3082 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I also discovered the single screw that holds the rotor mounting plate to the distributor shaft was also loose. Just more things to add to the maintenance checklist. Thanks for all the suggestions to keep the screws tight.

Posts: 86 | Location: Abilene, Texas | Registered: July 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joe C:
I also discovered the single screw that holds the rotor mounting plate to the distributor shaft was also loose. Just more things to add to the maintenance checklist. Thanks for all the suggestions to keep the screws tight.

If you want to keep the screws tight don’t be second in line! Eek Big Grin

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post