Find
Notify
Tools

Water pump flow
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted
Getting ready to bite the bullet for a Meziere water pump and flow choices are 35 and 55 gpm. Which one cools the quickest for a gasoline 433 BBC with aluminum radiator and puller fan. I've heard people say if the flow is too fast the heat transfer doesn't happen as well. Seems wrong to me but 35 is all I've ever had so is it worth the extra 100 bucks for a 55 gpm pump?

Posts: 459 | Location: Maryland | Registered: January 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I don’t believe the “ it flows too fast to cool” hype. That being said the higher flowing pump motor is thicker so you need more room between front of motor and radiator for it to fit. If it is tight with what you got then the 55 won’t fit. I couldn’t fit the 55 in mine but what I got is running on 16 volt and it cools just fine.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
The guy to contact with your question is Jerry at Meziere's (800) 208-1755. There are a lot of factors involved in selecting the right water pump, Jerry's "the guy".

Bob

Posts: 3081 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Yep Jerry is the guy but you need to make sure you have room for the bigger pump first otherwise you only have one choice.
I found out the hard way, bought the pump two years before finishing the car then realized it would not fit and took a loss sell it as I couldn’t return it at that point.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of diceman1530
posted Hide Post
They also make a HD motor for the regular pump that has 42 GPM.

Working for the Weekend!!!!
Fordyce Motorsports

Posts: 252 | Location: Williamstown, NJ | Registered: November 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I do not think there is an electric pump made that could move water too fast.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4001 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
And a belt driven pump sure doesn’t move very much water at a idle

Posts: 654 | Location: Here | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies, I'll call Jerry.

Posts: 459 | Location: Maryland | Registered: January 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Let us know what ole Jerry says. I'm with Green1.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2335 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
Jerry says you can't flow too much. He said that's internet myth and he explained it further when I told him that the "flow too much" info was around long before the internet because we used to break thermostats back in the 70's to slow the flow down. He said the mechanical pumps would go into cavitation and not pump at all when rpm's got above 5k. Some would change pulleys to slow the water pump rpm and that led others to believe that was to slow the flow so the washer restrictors popped up. He said restrictors have a use when the engine runs too cool. Sharp guy, thanks for the contact.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Sounds like Jerry knows his stuff. The only reason electric pumps flow better when restrictor plates are used is because they can also cavitate if the system design isn't correct. More flow is always more cooling assuming you get some heat out of the system by the radiator which even in the case that the fan isn't working all that great, the radiator still serves as a heat sink.

Posts: 373 | Location: Pride, La | Registered: April 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Triple Nickel:
Sounds like Jerry knows his stuff. The only reason electric pumps flow better when restrictor plates are used is because they can also cavitate if the system design isn't correct. More flow is always more cooling assuming you get some heat out of the system by the radiator which even in the case that the fan isn't working all that great, the radiator still serves as a heat sink.

According to Jerry, restrictions shouldn't be used with electric pumps because the small motors don't handle the resistance very well. They only create about 5 psi and a restriction becomes a problem.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jerry says you can't flow too much.

Bingo! I don't know how that restrict flow thing got started or how it continues to convince some people.... but it does. It's an engine vs. radiator ratio thing. The more it circulates through the radiator the more heat it's going to dissipate. An 800hp engine producing heat vs. a Scirocco radiator that is designed to cool a 125hp engine. You had better be dissipating heat through increased flow as much as possible.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2335 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ron Gusack:
Jerry says you can't flow too much. He said that's internet myth and he explained it further when I told him that the "flow too much" info was around long before the internet because we used to break thermostats back in the 70's to slow the flow down. He said the mechanical pumps would go into cavitation and not pump at all when rpm's got above 5k. Some would change pulleys to slow the water pump rpm and that led others to believe that was to slow the flow so the washer restrictors popped up. He said restrictors have a use when the engine runs too cool. Sharp guy, thanks for the contact.

So what did Jerry recommend for pump gpm size given your engine and radiator size?

I replaced my 37 gpm Areospace with a new Meziere 35 this year and it is exactly the same in cooling for my application.

Posts: 2453 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
He told me that the 35 would be all I need. I'm currently using a CSR 35 and it's okay but I'd like to cool a little quicker between rounds. He told me the 42 or 55 would help between rounds but they both are 7.25" long and I'm not sure I have that much space. The 42 and 55 pumps draw 10-12 amps, which I'd rather avoid. I tried to order a new motor for the CSR and Summit kept extending the delivery date so I cancelled it,