DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    GM Crate Motor vs build
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

GM Crate Motor vs build
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
Looking for a reliable 11.00(prob 11.50) and slower bracket motor. Build it or buy a GM crate motor? I have decent heads, intake carb for SBC.

Posts: 1625 | Location: UsA | Registered: October 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Nice engine!! I was thinking a little less $$. I haven't done much research yet but was told the 383 GM has is a good option? I'm trying to keep my wife and father from buying some janky S10 off the internet. So putting a motor/trans in his Nova should solve my problems for now.

Posts: 1625 | Location: UsA | Registered: October 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
this?

https://sdparts.com/i-24502691...te-engine-435hp.html

I just feel that you can't beat the new LS platform for HP/$.

Either way, these GM crate engines have 2 year/50,000 mile warranties and you won't get 2 feet or 5 minutes from most every engine builder.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I'm just starting to try and decide. It's a street car now. I'm not sure if you remember our green 65 Nova? It went 11. teens. I really don't want to do a roll bar so slowing it down is fine with me. My wife is interested in driving it also. Basically, decent engine, trans and converter. Use it , have fun and change the oil.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Lou, of course I remember it, very nice car. I get it and I remember when we all did it that way. Let us know what you end up with and if I can be of help let me know, the manager of SDPC The Race Shop is a friend.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
start @ 2:20
https://www.facebook.com/sdpcr...eos/673684213524982/

Nice package for the $.

https://sdparts.com/i-24104146...ate-race-engine.html

6.20s at 3000 lbs.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Very nice!! Love that truck too

DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
I say build your own ........ Super easy to achieve that goal with todays heads and a 383 with a HR cam.

jmo ............

Posts: 1421 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Busted Knuckles
posted Hide Post
I hate to agree with Ed, but you should seriously check out the Race Shop at SDPC. They can build anything, mild to wild, old school SBC, LS, big-inch big blocks, anything. Let Al know what your intended use and expectations are and listen to what he says.
If I were going to have one built, there's nobody else that I'd consider.

Organized people are just too lazy to look for their $h!t.

Posts: 487 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: November 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HS professor:
I say build your own ........ Super easy to achieve that goal with todays heads and a 383 with a HR cam.

jmo ............

I do have some decent heads etc. would you use a stock block or just an aftermarket?