DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Old School Screaming SBC 302
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old School Screaming SBC 302
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
I've been going through our new/old stock of motor parts for the B-Car. The motor will be set-up to run D with an engine class break of 261.00 - 305.99 cid. The car will be run in a fuel class & we will use methanol for the base fuel & NOS as an additional fuel.

Here are a few details/photos of some of the parts:

1st pic is the old school crane rocker shaft system, 1.50 ratio across the board.

2nd pic is the Crower billet steel 6.250" rods.

3rd pic is the Dart Buick 10-degree head chambers somewhere around 45cc. With 2.100 intake & 1.650 exhaust titanium valves.

4th pic is the intake runners somewhere around 250cc or more. The heads are fully ported from dart, I think they were CnC'd ported then hand finished if I remember correctly.

5th pic is the exhaust ports. The line of sight to & from both the exhaust & intake valves is sweet. I don't have pics of the MFI yet, but it's a unique cross ram style with the throttle bores in-line with the intake ports.

6th pic is the JE pistons at around 15:1+ compression. We need to lower the compression a little, we may mill the pistons a little bit.

This is just the teaser on the motor, more to come in the future. Need to get a block & crank ordered in the next couple of weeks.

2BKING

USA

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2498 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Nice, keep us informed.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3970 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
After running basicaly a 327 engine combo for over 35 years myself. At a rod ratio of over 2-1 intake manifold and plenum volume will be of upmost importance will be very interested in that final determination- COOL BUILD

The difference between ignorance and stupidity. Ignorance is lack of knowledge. Stupidity is the inability to learn. Don't be stupid

Posts: 396 | Location: des moines iowa | Registered: January 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B KING:
I've been going through our new/old stock of motor parts for the B-Car. The motor will be set-up to run D with an engine class break of 261.00 - 305.99 cid. The car will be run in a fuel class & we will use methanol for the base fuel & NOS as an additional fuel.

Here are a few details/photos of some of the parts:

1st pic is the old school crane rocker shaft system, 1.50 ratio across the board.

2nd pic is the Crower billet steel 6.250" rods.

3rd pic is the Dart Buick 10-degree head chambers somewhere around 45cc. With 2.100 intake & 1.650 exhaust titanium valves.

4th pic is the intake runners somewhere around 250cc or more. The heads are fully ported from dart, I think they were CnC'd ported then hand finished if I remember correctly.

5th pic is the exhaust ports. The line of sight to & from both the exhaust & intake valves is sweet. I don't have pics of the MFI yet, but it's a unique cross ram style with the throttle bores in-line with the intake ports.

6th pic is the JE pistons at around 15:1+ compression. We need to lower the compression a little, we may mill the pistons a little bit.

This is just the teaser on the motor, more to come in the future. Need to get a block & crank ordered in the next couple of weeks.

2BKING

USA

Those heads do not like alcohol at all

Posts: 122 | Location: Over here | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I have no information on these heads, but Dart & Speedo talked about the combo back in the 80's. Dart knew that he was going to use methanol as the fuel. They're what we got & will start with alky; if need be, we can switch to race gas.

Jonesz, I would like to hear what the issue is, don't make good power or something else? We need around 600 hp on the motor with about 200 more hp on nitrous & make it live for 3-5 miles.

2BKING Eek

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2498 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Some think the quench area on the heads can be laid back and it makes it less sensitive to detonation and work better. It may also help them flow better.
You may check into that to lower compression rather than milling pistons.
https://www.facebook.com/page/...h/?q=soft%20chambers

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Curly1,

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

Posts: 3970 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Look at the second video down about Quench area and soft chambers.
If you are wanting to lower compression some.........

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Thanks Curly, for the vids.

I will talk with my engine guy about the chamber work & using alky. They are familiar with the heads when they were a big deal when they came out.

I will take any information or opinion on the motor. I have to find a way to make this combo work. Speedo worked closely with the manufacturers back in the day for this high winding engine.

2BKING Big Grin

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Get with the times mr king...its almost 2023!!

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I got with the times & bought a 2023 truck!!

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
The Buick heads were used in Competition Eliminator engines

They made a lot more HP vs a std 23 degree type head.....50-100 more

My fuzzy memory says the design was also used in V6 engines in NASCAR when Bush cars ran V6's...

I recall seeing a set of those heads in our shop that came off one of Robby Moroso's engines and yes he ran in the Bush series

Mid 1980's.....

I don't know anyone running those or on methanol.....and they faded from Competition eliminator

My good friend bought a pair and I convinced him to sell them and stay with conventional heads to simplify his engines...

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
When i ran these small cube/high rpm motors back in the day,my bigget challenge was finding a converter that would work.all the manufacturers seemed to struggle with that combo

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
We are running an old school Richmond 5 speed & it's brand new/never used; wish we had a newer 6-speed.

2BKING Smile

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I always thought a combo like this would be fun to drive, just not a bracket combo by todays standards. But if I ever built a car that required a stick shift (or straight axle) I'd build a 302-327 for sure.

Posts: 287 | Location: Midwest  | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow Ticket:
I always thought a combo like this would be fun to drive, just not a bracket combo by todays standards. But if I ever built a car that required a stick shift (or straight axle) I'd build a 302-327 for sure.

Sometimes we build cars not because it is the best but because it is fun to drive.

My Front Engine Dragster was a challenge to get working good but it is a total blast to drive.

Next season I am working on 2 new challenges. Blown BBC Altered and a Mike Bos 150" altered. Going to be fun for sure. Lets see if I can put them in winners Circle.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR Sportsman
Picture of 434 olds
posted Hide Post
Why would you use old style parts to build an engine such as the rockers and why would you take compression out of the engine especially if you want to run alcohol.

Worlds Quickest And Fastest 71 Cutlass On The Planet Earth

Posts: 536 | Location: Oak ridge, N.J | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Why would we use any of the old style parts to build an engine. Because they are new & were designed to work with this combination. As for the compression, I'm only looking to lower it to 14:1. Reason is for a little larger tuning window on nitrous. Plus, this motor has to live for 3-5 miles at a time.

The older gentleman that started this project in the 1980's & it's been sitting dormant since the mid 1990's. He just wants to see his dream completed & make some licks/passes on the salt again. Hopefully we can make it happen for him before he passes.

2BKING Smile

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 434 olds:
Why would you use old style parts to build an engine such as the rockers and why would you take compression out of the engine especially if you want to run alcohol.

Seriously? In a world of chevy big blocks why would you fuc around with an Oldsmobile battleship? Because it's what you feel like doing? EXACTLY

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4447 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 434 olds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imakehp:
quote:

Seriously? In a world of chevy big blocks why would you fuc around with an Oldsmobile battleship? Because it's what you feel like doing? EXACTLY

What makes you say it`s a battleship.

Worlds Quickest And Fastest 71 Cutlass On The Planet Earth

Posts: 536 | Location: Oak ridge, N.J | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by imakehp:
quote:

What makes you say it`s a battleship.

Well, that wide angle photo just to get the entire car in the shot is a hint

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4447 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post