DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Old School Screaming SBC 302
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old School Screaming SBC 302
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Mr. King sound to me like you are right with the program. Youa
are spending money or something you want and pretty much all the reasons needed.

As for 302 should be a blast. Working on a 327 build for same reasons,fun. Mine not as bada$$ as yours and lot closer to factory 327 with heads and cam. Almost crossed 283 and the 327 to build 302 since always wanted one.

Enjoy and keep updated.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4185 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 434 olds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imakehp:
quote:
Originally posted by 434 olds:
quote:
Originally posted by imakehp:
quote:
Originally posted by 434 olds:
Why would you use old style parts to build an engine such as the rockers and why would you take compression out of the engine especially if you want to run alcohol.

Seriously? In a world of chevy big blocks why would you fuc around with an Oldsmobile battleship? Because it's what you feel like doing? EXACTLY

What makes you say it`s a battleship.

Well, that wide angle photo just to get the entire car in the shot is a hint

The car is 2600LBS with me in it. It works better than most cars smaller in size and for N/A it`s faster than some cars that size. No "new / old" junk on this car.

Worlds Quickest And Fastest 71 Cutlass On The Planet Earth

Posts: 536 | Location: Oak ridge, N.J | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B KING:
Why would we use any of the old style parts to build an engine. Because they are new & were designed to work with this combination. As for the compression, I'm only looking to lower it to 14:1. Reason is for a little larger tuning window on nitrous. Plus, this motor has to live for 3-5 miles at a time.

The older gentleman that started this project in the 1980's & it's been sitting dormant since the mid 1990's. He just wants to see his dream completed & make some licks/passes on the salt again. Hopefully we can make it happen for him before he passes.

2BKING Smile

I think that is pretty cool and hope it works well.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4009 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
When I drove for Laury McGowan, his dragsters always had a SBC with Buick heads on it. They also had a dominator converted to alky by Terry Sinke. We shifted it at 7200-7400 and it ran 7.60-7.70s in the quarter when everyone else was running 7.90-8.0s. He had a few different dragsters back then and engine combos from 395 to 434 with those Buick heads.

15+ to 1 compression and sounded like tweety birds in the headers. I have never driven anything as crisp and couldn't stop giving the gas pedal a blip every now and then when idling around the pits or in the staging lanes.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 739 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Most get what this thread is about, FUN. A few members don't get it & that's fine.

I took on this side project, B-Car, motor & drivetrain; to help an 86-year older gentleman with finishing his dream. The only thing I will have invested is my time. Plus, I'm going to learn a lot along the way.

"Those heads do not like alcohol at all" I have found people using these heads with alcohol in the past & Tom Reyer even posted using alky with the heads. Maybe they would make more power on race gas & Q16 comes to mind. Maybe in the future we'll find out.

Old "Oldsmobile battleship" hit the nail on the head, but that's what you choose to use. Instead of a newer slicker car. Not hating on the battleship, as I had one in high school & it was pretty fast. I liked mine a little better than yours, personal preference. 1971 Cutlass Supreme Convertible started with an Olds 350 & ended with a built 455. I'll try & remember to take a pic of the old Polaroid pic & post up.

2BKING, Enjoy the thread for FUN as others are doing or ignore it! Wink

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2545 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I was able to track down the camshaft specs today. I was shocked at the specs, but they turn these motors pretty high rpm wise, as we will. Anyway, here's the specs:

.050/ 281* Intake & 289* exhaust

.441 Lobes on both

108* lobe center

.023 lash hot

Getting a price quote from Brodix for a NEW aluminum block, hopefully getting that ordered in next week or two. We will also be getting a NEW Bryant or Callies crank order soon also.

USA

2BKING Cool

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2545 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
The Buick heads were used in Competition Eliminator engines

I don't know anyone running those or on methanol.....and they faded from Competition eliminator

My good friend bought a pair and I convinced him to sell them and stay with conventional heads to simplify his engines...

Unless he recently changed, Mark Hopkins is still running them in his Beretta. 7.60's in D/Altered...

Posts: 343 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve140:
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
The Buick heads were used in Competition Eliminator engines

I don't know anyone running those or on methanol.....and they faded from Competition eliminator

My good friend bought a pair and I convinced him to sell them and stay with conventional heads to simplify his engines...

Unless he recently changed, Mark Hopkins is still running them in his Beretta. 7.60's in D/Altered...

If M Hopkins is still running Buick heads, more power to him.
I was friends with a Comp racer that ran Buick heads in the 90s. Was always .15 behind #1 qualifier.

Cool

Posts: 619 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: March 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I tried getting the block ordered from Brodix over the holidays & that didn't work. I talked with my engine guy; the info Brodix sent him was totally wrong. I'm going in next week to put a nice $$$ deposit down on the block & crank. The plan is to call Brodix direct & get the block ordered.

As for the crank, it's going to be a Bryant or Callies. Going to take in what we have of the rotating assembly. We need to decide how we are going to lower the compression, milling the pistons or softening the chambers. We have to get it figured out so we can get a bob weight on the assembly before ordering the crank.

2BKING

Relaxing

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Brian, really enjoy your projects

L8R, Mike

Posts: 12287 | Location: Murrieta, Calif | Registered: August 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike, a few others enjoy also! I think Mr. Woodfin's projects are the best. Cool

The B-Car & Screaming 302 is someone else's dream & project. I hope I'm to put it together in time.

I have been really blessed to be able to race other people's cars/projects. Sometimes it comes at the expense of my own, but I'm good with that. I like to race, go fast & win!

2BKING, If I was to go today. I would die a very happy & blessed man. Wink

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
Picture of SpeierRacingHeads
posted Hide Post
Here is a dyno sheet for a 304 Dart/Buick that I ported the heads and built in 1994. It was a C/ED engine in a dragster that I owned and Melanie Troxel drove. They had legal 750's on them. Also cam that was in it.

Posts: 1405 | Location: Hays Kansas | Registered: January 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Thanks Chad, great information!

2BKING Big Grin

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpeierRacingHeads:
Here is a dyno sheet for a 304 Dart/Buick that I ported the heads and built in 1994. It was a C/ED engine in a dragster that I owned and Melanie Troxel drove. They had legal 750's on them. Also cam that was in it.

That beast was still pulling hard past 9,500! Eek Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1231 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpeierRacingHeads:

My uneducated eye would say the engine was wanting more fuel from 7700 up ??

All the kewl kids are hanging their dreams on A/F meters these days, and that would indicate real lean. ?
I understand lean to the edge of detonation is big power, but dang, looks scary.

Is there a "sweet spot" BSFC you look for?

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1649 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I have a friend who has a similar motor 300 Cu. In and I believe he said it made 712 Hp pretty good for that cubic inch.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4009 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Took a few parts to our engine builder yesterday & spent about 1.5 hours discussing the build. We left a nice $ deposit to get the block & crank ordered; estimated time to get (6 months for both), I think that's a bit optimistic. We are going with a Brodix aluminum block & spent the extra money to have the HIP process done. The crank will be a Callies with a 2.9750 stroke & the rods are Crower 6.250" billet steel rods.

We have many other details to work out with the build, but the above obstacles we had to get rolling on. We discussed may other things & will start getting the smaller items researched/ordered for the build.

2BKING Smile

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436