Find
Notify
Tools

Speedmaster
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
Are Speedmaster products Chinese junk?

Posts: 700 | Location: At the beach | Registered: August 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Price point points to Asia.

Posts: 183 | Location: Rock><Hard Place | Registered: February 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
The only thing I recall buying Speedmaster is their throttle bodies. Packaging didn't indicate country of origin. Low price point as mentioned. Not junk by any means. Still using them. After looking at their line up, there seems to be some mix of American made stuff, with a lot of what I suspect is Chinese stuff completing the line up.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6360 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bry-war:

The name gives it away too... speedmaster.

Master if slaves.

Someone behind all this, finds offshoring American prosperity and insulting its traditions, amusing.

Think about how the names insult American traditions ...Eagle crank (American Bald Eagle on box),

Patriot cylinder heads.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
quote:

The name gives it away too... speedmaster.

Master if slaves.

Someone behind all this, finds offshoring American prosperity and insulting its traditions, amusing.

Think about how the names insult American traditions ...Eagle crank (American Bald Eagle on box),

Patriot cylinder heads.

I am not sure what to tell you. I have toured one of the factories in China that makes aluminum heads and blocks for General Motors, Mitsubishi, Ford and others. They do the casting there and all of the machining. They had maybe 100 CNC machines and that was just at the one facility I toured. That company has several facilities. I think he said they do 5 Billion a year in sales.

Some of those heads were a work of art and they are absolutely perfect. They are constantly checked and one of the tests they do is in temperature controlled room with robot that measures everything, it was really cool to watch it run its tests. They have high tech machines we do not even have here and to be honest in many areas we have lost the capability to compete with them. In some cases such as the heads manufactured in China are top quality in every way and I do not think any company in America can now compete in Cost or Quality with them. China had American companies help them get started and learn and in some cases they have taken that and moved forward and better. Sad but True.

Think about the REAL problem, how and why.
The Real problem is losing American jobs. I bet America has lost 100 million jobs to China. Most Americans are resilient and got another job but probably not as much as they were before.

How? Bill Clinton in 1994 forced Congress to give China "Most Favored Trade Status" Many had talked about opening up some trade but Clinton broke the dam down.
Why? Well because it is cheaper but lets dig a little deeper and see why it is cheaper.

TAXES. All of us working here in America pay about 25% income Tax and Social Security before we even get our checks. Illegal Aliens, Drug dealers, topless dancers etc are not paying those taxes. So once again middle class gets stuck with paying for them to.
Also businesses pay taxes and that has to be added into cost of goods. So maybe 50% of the goods is directly related to OUR Government taking taxes for everything Made in America.
The Working men and Women mainly middle class are doing all the work and paying most of the taxes.
When you buy anything from overseas they are not paying income taxes etc for all of those manufacturing jobs.

The system is broken.

The Solution? Simple. Eliminate Income tax and do a sales tax. That way it does not matter if you get your money illegally or not you pay taxes when ever you buy anything. The Country of manufacture does not matter they will pay same tax rate as Made In America. Right now the Made in America Tax Penalty is too much. When it is made overseas they pay NO taxes until Trump put the Tariff on them and even still it is not as bad of a penalty as our own taxes on made in America. What is it 20% Tariff made in China and 50% tax made here? WTF?

Put America on equal footing and we can compete with anyone in the World and win.

I do think you are kind of wrong blaming China for our broken Tax system which is why we have this problem in first place.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3968 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I agree. Yes there is junk China stuff just like there is junk American stuff. But the years of assuming quality is based upon the country of origin are gone. The reason to buy American has to do with the jobs that make the things you buy.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6360 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I'm not blaming the tax system, the tax system has nothing to do with the WTO trade deal signed with china in Sept of 2001, which offshored the US economy to china.

You're putting the cart before the horse.

The history on globalism is this. The True conservatives (paleo-conservatives) were against offshoring manufacturing. It was the neo (new) conservatives who came over from the democrat party in the early 1970's who were for globalism. Bringing us to the position we are currently in $27 trillion in unsustainable debt with trillions more in unfunded liability's.

Like the unions or not, the unions were the only protection Americans had against globalism because there was a balance of power between American big business funding the (republicans) and (democrats) funded by the labor unions.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Trumps rhetoric is that of a paleo-conservative, You don't remember Trump calling low energy Jeb a globalist in their debates, and blaming his brother George W for offshoring the US economy?

Go re-watch Trump's inauguration speech (it's all paleo-conservatve rhetoric)

Who funds both parties today you ask? The same multi-national corporations who fund BLM.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
This thread has good timing. Yesterday I received an email from speedmaster with the title “We engineer and manufacture our products”

The body says “THIS IS SPEEDMASTER
Here we are 25,000 Parts, 3 Continents and 40 years later. With a strong heritage and ongoing appetite to design, engineer and manufacture outstanding products.”

Then there are ads for parts for sale.

Doesn’t say made in USA and I’m sure one of the 3 continents is Asia.

Posts: 710 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 183N:
This thread has good timing. Yesterday I received an email from speedmaster with the title “We engineer and manufacture our products”

The body says “THIS IS SPEEDMASTER
Here we are 25,000 Parts, 3 Continents and 40 years later. With a strong heritage and ongoing appetite to design, engineer and manufacture outstanding products.”

Then there are ads for parts for sale.

Doesn’t say made in USA and I’m sure one of the 3 continents is Asia.

Multi-national $$ WH0RES rooting for BLM and globalism / Collectivism..

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Did some in depth research. Speed master parts are manufactured in China, corporate HQ in Shanghai.

Posts: 700 | Location: At the beach | Registered: August 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
The 3 continents are China, mfg. Australia and US distribution centers. Talk about subterfuge, typical.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maliciousintent:
Did some in depth research. Speed master parts are manufactured in China, corporate HQ in Shanghai.

Fok SPEEDMASTER, Fok globalism, fok communism and fok all the greedy WH0RES who made millions aiding the dismantling of US labor.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
My original “price point points to Asia” was a generalization of cost, not quality. That’s said I really like this story from David Reher....
Just making chips...

Posts: 183 | Location: Rock><Hard Place | Registered: February 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
My original “price point points to Asia” was a generalization of cost, not quality. That’s said I really like this story from David Reher....
Just making chips...

Yes. My response was to the OP referring to it as junk.
One concern I have about American made speed parts is: What happens if there is no China competition that gives them a price point to compete with? Will the American companies step up production, make higher quantities to cover the demand and drop their prices? I really don't think they will drop their prices. The same $233 throttle bodies I bought at that time were over 2.5 times more expensive for the domestic version. Why? We can say regulations this and american labor that. But this is a piece that has most of its cost in a chunk of aluminum, some CNC machine time, and some fairly minor assembly. Oh and some anodizing. So Speedmaster can make it or have it made in China, ship it here and pay any tariffs, warehouse it, sell it to Summit....everybody making some money along the way...and it sells at a price point just over 1/3 of the American made one bought direct? Let's look at turbochargers: Old technology from Garret that they developed 30 years ago and they are selling those at $600+. China version? $170 Why? Now if you step up to recent technology and get a Precision unit, I get that you are looking at paying for some of the development. But now you are at a $1500-$2000 turbo of roughly the same size. I buy American where it makes sense and when I can justify it. I expect a premium price and frankly anymore, I really don't expect an exceptional product in return. But I pay it. If I can pay 20% more for the part and support American jobs, I do. But a factor of 3 times? 3-400%? Well now we have some things to consider.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:

Like the unions or not, the unions were the only protection Americans had against globalism because there was a balance of power between American big business funding the (republicans) and (democrats) funded by the labor unions.

I completely disagree with that statement. The Democrats are the biggest Globalist and the Union supports Democrats 100%. Even in Aircraft Industry where I worked for 38 years when we had Democrat leadership they cut Military spending and Aircraft and the lost hundreds of thousands of jobs yet our Union still supported them and gave our money to the Democrats.

Also What jobs went to China the most? Union Jobs yet Unions STILL supported Democrats! Unions have helped move jobs overseas by supporting NAFTA and the Democrats and by pricing themselves out of work.
If the Unions cared one single bit about their people they would support Trump and help him build the wall to stop illegal aliens and help him bring back more jobs. Yet Unions STILL support Democrats 100%.
Lets talk about "Globalism" The Democrats have ALWAYS had the Foreign policy to give our enemies money thinking that will make them allies.
The Republicans do not do that. The Republicans build up our Military (Creating AMERICAN jobs)and making our enemies know not to mess with us. Republicans believe build up our military strong and nobody will run over us. Democrats think give them jobs and money and they will be our friends. We are running out of money for that. Time to put America first.
Obama gave Iran our enemy 150 BILLION dollars and Nuclear Technology while they are Chanting "Death to America and Israel" How can anyone in their right mind justify giving our enemy money and Nuclear Technology?

I believe in putting America first and only one guy can do that and it is not the guy who is owned by China, Ukraine, Iran and Russia. Does it concern you that Biden's son and the Clinton's were making billions from Russia, China, Saudi Arabia, Turkey and Ukraine? And what did the Biden's and Clinton's do to earn that money? They sold out America. That is what they did for the money. They sold us out. They did not Build anything, they did not sell them any parts, good or services. They sold us out.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3968 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
You're only disagreeing because you didn't understand the point I made about the actual balance of power Labor (democrats) vs American Big business (Republican).

It's not debatable for the reason this balance between labor and business is a matter of factual history.

You can't logically compare the history of this balance in power between labor and business today ,because globalism has destroyed the unions and American Big Business. This is the point I'm making, before globalism American Big Business (corporations) funded the republicans and labor (unions) funded the democrats.

Multi-national corporations now fund both parties, because of globalism and there is no balance between labor and business. In fact there is very little business or labor. America has been turned into one big shopping mall, for peddling chinese garbage. Blame your elected officials from both parties, which are really one party, feathers of the same multi-national corporation globalist debt bomb Bird.

And now everyone has gone online to do their shopping, NOW WHAT?

I'll tell you what, for starters look for the biggest commercial real estate collapse in the history of the world!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Look at these nanny state welfare collecting obese consumer drones, debt slaves. These people could give two chits about America funding the chinese military complex. TV brainwashed zombies. Blame it on the social engineers the DC political establishment.

https://youtu.be/uEXrdCydXak

George Carlin nailed it^^^

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I agree with Ben, I'll pay a certain amount more to support local but for example a made in china replacement trailer 7 pin plug from GM for nearly $70 doesn't compare well to the made in china trailer plug from my buddy at the parts store for $13.
I did consider speedmaster coilovers vs strange eng. for the front of my 69 F body street machine project. I haven't bought either yet.

No matter how many times you paint over a shadow it's still there.

Posts: 684 | Location: Galesburg Il. | Registered: December 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Curley, the difference is the GM, Ford, the like have things built to their specs where companies like speed master have parts just built with no true guide line.

Posts: 654 | Location: Here | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post