DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    MSD, no spark after it was parked???
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MSD, no spark after it was parked???
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
Your basic SBC, MSD Grid 77303, 77203 and 82613 coil. Ran perfect in October. Stored it. Set valves, primed the fuel. NO SPARK.
Green light lit up on the MSD but zero spark. Any ideas where to start.
Nobody shows them available from retail to warehouses. 49 runs is all it had in it I guess?

Disappointed in MSD/Holley's Mexican engineering.

Jok

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1217 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
When cranking engine is the green led on Grid blinking Off / ON /Off / ON ? If no blinking then you are not getting a trigger input from crank trigger or distributor trigger.

Posts: 2441 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sr4440
posted Hide Post
If i didn't have a ignition tester, on the 77203, I would tap the white wire (points in) on a ground and see if i have a spark. then go from there.

Joe

Without data, you’re just another guy with an opinion.

Posts: 1297 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Stephen Hughes
posted Hide Post
I had a similar issue when I first put my car together. All new components. Couldnt get spark. Checked all the common stuff, crank trigger pick up, grounds, etc. I was stumped, took 7720 and 7730 out of my dragster and replaced the new boxes. Still no start. So now thinking i may have fried my dragster boxes i put them back in it and it fired right up. So I out new boxes back in the door car, called my dad over and when I went to show him it wouldn’t fire, it lit right off and has been trouble free since. I have no idea what happened, the only thing that keeps crossing my mind is I had my 16v battery charger hooked up and noticed the racepak said like 19.4v. Maybe it has some sort of internal safety for too much voltage? Who knows, but it works now and i never charge with the power on now.

The Pull-Out....for when you want to work smarter, not harder!!!

Posts: 336 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
That is almost exactly what happened to my deal as well.
MarkeMark gave me some ideas, everything checked out like it should fire off but last night, nothing.
This morning, 3 cups of coffee and I gave it another shot. BOOM, started perfect and ran great. Went through 3 heat cycles today and not one issue.

??? I almost getting too old to worry about it. Thanks Mark and it was NOT a MSD problem, I will chalk this one up to MOJO I guess ;-)

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1217 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Stephen Hughes
posted Hide Post
It would be nice to know why that issue occurred for both of us, but it’s been since February and this one hasnt given me any trouble since.

The Pull-Out....for when you want to work smarter, not harder!!!

Posts: 336 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post