DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Wide Band O2 For Power Grid
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wide Band O2 For Power Grid
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of Dal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Quick Dawg:
I guess that yellow clip is in there to keep the wires in place. I just got off with MSD Support and they said some 7730 bus's were wired different, so you have to take the yellow clip out, re-position the wires like the other plugs, and you should be good to go. I have a 7751 working now, so they said I should be good to go as wired from the factory... I hope so...

I'd think you should be good. It's 122 here today, so I may not be in the garage much....

Posts: 25 | Location: AZ | Registered: December 11, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Quick Dawg
posted Hide Post
The terminator comes with the Grid. You always have to have a terminator plugged in even with a CAN bus. When you install the bus, you just remove the terminator from the Grid and plug it into the last bus receptor.

Posts: 166 | Location: Salt Lake City | Registered: January 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Dal
posted Hide Post
FYI, I had to switch the wires in my grid plug. 3 had to be switched to match the new stuff. The MSD tech guy was kind of a dyck about it, but finally admitted there were some wrong after I told him I've read about it.... Anyway, it all works.

Posts: 25 | Location: AZ | Registered: December 11, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of suprodn
posted Hide Post
I currently have a 7720 and 7730 in my car. What else would I need to put two O2's in my car. I guess 2 7765 but what else to connect them to my grid.

Posts: 63 | Location: Watchn my motor go boom on the dyno | Registered: April 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Here’s the wiring pin out from Grid Main 32 pin harness to 6-Pin CAN-bus Plug on Grid.

Thin Red 13 / 4
Brown 27 / 2
Thick Red 29 / 5
Thin Black 30 / 1
Thick Black 31 / 3

In the 7730 wiring diagram they list wires going to #27 pin 2 times which is incorrect.

This same wiring sequence (1 to 5 color and wire size) needs to be in the 7740 CAN-bus Hub for the plug in Modules to be correct.

If the 7740 is not wired this way I’d be sending it back.

Having to switch the wire placement in 7730 Grid CAN-bus connector to something other than what is in the 7730 wiring document is incorrect imho.

I use 7740 and have plug in Grid Modules.

Posts: 2439 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by suprodn:
I currently have a 7720 and 7730 in my car. What else would I need to put two O2's in my car. I guess 2 7765 but what else to connect them to my grid.

MSD 7740 CAN-bus Hub

Posts: 2439 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of John Heard
posted Hide Post
Doesn't give me great confidence that MSD doesn't check their wiring during manufacturing. Wouldn't you think they would have a test rig after final assembly? Odd...

John Heard
DragStuff.com

Posts: 188 | Location: Kansas | Registered: November 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of Dal
posted Hide Post
It sounds like it was a run of harnesses a few years ago, but???? My Grid was manufactured in 12/2012.

DRR Pro
Picture of Tyster
posted Hide Post
come on guys I know someone has had it running in the car....

..................Ty Smith

Posts: 1451 | Location: Fort Wayne, In | Registered: January 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
A racer friend just got his 7765 yesterday and will be installing it this Saturday at the track. I’ll also be there to provide any assistance if needed. He uses E85 in his engine that runs 6.0’s

I’ll get the Data Acquisition files of his runs and will post them here next Monday as there seems to be interest in this.

In a Different Thread posting, a racer stated that while at a racing event he was told by the MSD reps that 7765 O2 sensor in Grid would not share information with Racepak through V-net. I agreed as O2 this is not one of the choices in the Data Acquisition / Racepak tabs in Grid.

I reviewed the 7765 instructions today along with having 7765 programming opened in MSDView4 ( without being attached to Grid, Open MSDView4 and go to File/ Open / Documents/ MSD/ MSDView / 7765) and then it came to me…...

In MSD 7765 O2 sensor programming, Under the SETTINGS tab, the user can scale the air-fuel ratio range of the “Analog Voltage Output” in 0 to 5v signal. This 0-5v signal comes directly out of the 7765 box to be shared. Look at the wiring diagram.

If Gasoline is 14.7, in 7765 fuel calibration programming, set the AFR low to 5 and the AFR High to 25. Set your multimeter to DC voltage and place your leads on the output wires. Have 7765 displayed in MSDView4 and monitor the AFR. When you have a reading of 14.7 AFR in Grid, you should see 2.425v on your meter. Build any scale you want and verify the 0-5v reading with a multimeter and display in Grid to verify.

I have to believe that you can input this 0-5v signal to Racepak, and display it in a scale that shows AFR.

Now you’d have the 7765 O2 displayed in Grid Data Acquisition and also in Racepak.

I have no knowledge of Racepak programming / interfacing.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Quick Dawg
posted Hide Post
No 7765 in the software - So I set out to install this thing today, and I have never upgraded my View or Firmware. Downloaded the upgrade from MSD, put it on a thumb drive, loaded it onto my track computer, hooked up to the grid and performed the upgrade with my fingers crossed I didn't turn this thing into a door stop.

Upgrade seemed to go well, both View and Firmware. Uploaded my last Grid file, converted it and it seemed to convert ok. Man does this new View work different from the first one... Anyway, started looking for the O2 tab, nothing. Found Mark's post above, went to the device file folder and no 7765? I am upgraded to 4.3.28... Any idea what to do now?

Posts: 166 | Location: Salt Lake City | Registered: January 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Dal
posted Hide Post
quote:
No 7765 in the software - So I set out to install this thing today, and I have never upgraded my View or Firmware. Downloaded the upgrade from MSD, put it on a thumb drive, loaded it onto my track computer, hooked up to the grid and performed the upgrade with my fingers crossed I didn't turn this thing into a door stop.

Upgrade seemed to go well, both View and Firmware. Uploaded my last Grid file, converted it and it seemed to convert ok. Man does this new View work different from the first one... Anyway, started looking for the O2 tab, nothing. Found Mark's post above, went to the device file folder and no 7765? I am upgraded to 4.3.28... Any idea what to do now?

The 7765 opens it's own window. When you first open View, both the 7730 and 7765 will be there. You have open them both. I was hoping it would be another tab, but no.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Quick Dawg
posted Hide Post
So you are saying I have it plugged into the buss for the View to see it?

DRR Trophy
Picture of Dal
posted Hide Post
quote:
So you are saying I have it plugged into the buss for the View to see it?

Yes. The View software finds and connects to it like it does the 7730.
There is a 7765 folder in the MSDView folder that has a file you can open to look at without being plugged in.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Quick Dawg
posted Hide Post
I don't have the 7765 file in the MSD folder.. I will try plugging the 7765 in and see if the View sees it.... Stand by.. Thanks by the way for the help....

DRR Trophy
Picture of Dal
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't have the 7765 file in the MSD folder.. I will try plugging the 7765 in and see if the View sees it.... Stand by.. Thanks by the way for the help....

Yes sir. I just got mine hooked up. It needs 12 volts to it too..... forgot that.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Quick Dawg
posted Hide Post
Nope - Plugged in the 7765 to the bus, and still nothing... I would assume someone could send me the 7765 folder, then I could put it in the MSD View folder and it might work?

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Quick Dawg
posted Hide Post
Ok, I will hook up 12V and see what happens... It would be nice if that was in the instructions... LOL...

DRR Trophy
Picture of Dal
posted Hide Post
Yes it would be nice, but.......
I can send you the folder if you want.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Quick Dawg
posted Hide Post
nothing... I think I have to have the 7765 folder... It should have loaded in the update I would believe... Should I do the update over again and hope it loads this time.... ??