Find
Notify
Tools

Grid Question?
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Quick Dawg
posted
I always thought when using the launch retard function, if you put a negative figure in the box next to 0.00 then the amount of timing you are retarding, let’s just say -3, would be applied when power to the dark blue wire is present – (When the TB button is pressed.)

When I called MSD and I was told that isn’t the case. I was told that the timing retard doesn’t start until the button is released. If that is the case, then what ever timing retard is put in the 0.00 box won’t take effect until the TB has been released.

Has anyone tested this? The reason I ask is my car is in a state of tear down that prevents me from testing this.
I am wanting to try something different in the future and would like to know for sure.

I hope MSD is wrong and you can remove timing when the power is to the TB. Anyone know for sure?

Posts: 166 | Location: Salt Lake City | Registered: January 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
The grid is designed so that the timers and other functions do not start until power is applied and removed from the dark blue wire. Once power is removed, it recognizes the 0.00 set in the launch tab and adjusts the timing accordingly.

If the timers or any other function started when you applied power to the dark blue wire, you could use the grid as a delay device. (which you can not do the way it is programmed and designed now)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TomR,

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 739 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Rodney Pryor
posted Hide Post
It is my understanding that the launch retard is activated when the dark blue wire see 12v and starts when the dark blue wire looses 12v.

Posts: 116 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
quote:
LAUNCH RETARD (TIMING BY TIME)
This function allows a user to set an engine timing curve based on the run time from launch (release of the
dark blue wire). It can be programmed from 0° to 20° in 0.1° increments. Up to 30 trace points can be set per
0.01 sec. across the available 10 seconds. When the Launch wire is active, the retard value is the placement
of the first dot.
I suppose if 0.00 is set to -3.0 that would be your first dot and it should retard the timing while applied.

When 12 volts are removed from the Dark Blue wire the engine timing will follow the prescribed
curve added to the base timing set at the engine RPM map.
this is what I based my first answer off of

So to answer your question, I have never tested it at 0.00 to see what it does. I have always set them up at 0.01

(Note to self, answer what you know not what you think you know)

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 739 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Go to the msdignition.com and download the instructions, and see for yourself. The gentleman, Pryor who responded above is correct.

Posts: 20 | Location: 46060 | Registered: October 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Quick Dawg
posted Hide Post
Tom - Thanks for the post - I reed that the way you do, hence assuming that if I have -3 beside 0.00 then it will retard as soon as it receives power.

I guess when I get my calipers back from Mark Williams I am going to have to test this and see. I haven't found anyone, including MSD tech's, who have actually tested it. Called again, and got a different answer. It is really hit and miss with those guys...

If it does retard with 12v applied, then what does it read when the 12 volts are released? I would assume it would read the next line. If it does, then you might have to put the same value in at .01 just to make sure...

Posts: 166 | Location: Salt Lake City | Registered: January 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
In Launch Retard, if you program a retard at 0.00 time period, it will be active any time the Launch Input is active.

https://i.imgur.com/LIIzG2F.jpg

Posts: 2456 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Quick Dawg
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mark!!!!!!!!!!

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Quick Dawg
posted Hide Post
FYI - I called MSD again, got ahold of Joe who seems to know what he is talking about with the Grid and he confirmed Mark and Tom are correct.

It sounds like that MSD has had major turn over in the Tech Support dept and might have lost some of their experienced people.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Although the Data Acquisition picture I posted proves what you have asked, there is another way to verify what you programmed in your Launch Retard graph to be correct.

Attach to Grid with the ignition ON but engine not running. In Gauge 1 tab select the Time From Launch and Ignition Timing channels. Push and hold the TB button and watch the Timing Gauge. Release button and view what timing you have programmed as the Time from Launch Timer runs.

Posts: 2456 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post