DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    two power supply sources one solenoid
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

two power supply sources one solenoid
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
Ok question can I activate a solenoid off tw seperate power supply(not at same time) w/o fubar something?

I have electronic activatged solenoid used for lean out,Normal operation is to remove some at gear change and or top end. I would like to have a manual button for it to lean out when need to build some extra heat in motor. This would not be when other source is activated,which is from delay box. this will of coarse send juice thru wire back to box(where I see possible issue),since that is dead circuit will it be problem. Was told by a know everything (in his mind) not problem,but at 2 cent thats normally way over priced. I can buy another solenoid is there is problem. Might anyway,but still like to know answer.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4170 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
When in doubt call the source…….the delay box manufacture. Don’t add any unnecessary wiring.

I’ve energized wires leading back to the delay box “outputs” without problems many times.

Posts: 2441 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Maybe put a diode in the wire between the delay box and solenoid?

Posts: 486 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
a diode can be placed on trigger wires to prevent back feed

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1390 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I was going to call K&R tomorrow evening if get home earlier, Unless someone said no it can not work. Didn't want to sound like total DA ,when electrical I am only 1/2 DA and most of the time try to error on caution side.

Posts: 4170 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I thought you weren't going to use the K&R box.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5298 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
well not for long. It either run this one. Sell it for 350 or less,spend 580 or so on Biondo. That just puts another delay in a way to long time frame.

I have done few test with hitting button counting 1,hitting throttle and still have to wait on TB to release.I figure I am about half on WOT compared to hitting button with foot on floor,throttle going WOT,2 step kicking in and wait for what seems week for TB to release,actual is little over second,but seems forever and that w/o me hearing my motor sound like crap.

Buy K&R now and get new except cpl times playing in garage and save 100 bucks.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I have back fed the biondo terminals with no problem (nitrous override). I had planned to hook up a nitrous override on the old mans car that has a KR box, can't remember if I researched it or just assumed it would be ok.

You had me thinking about using my electric high speed as a warm up aid... until I realized it's on my port line

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
How about wiring in a relay?

30 to solenoid
87 to 12v hot
86 to ground
87a to momentary push button
85 to timer on delay box

You will be able to apply power to 87a (from your push button) and it won't back feed to the delay box.

When the timer sends power to 85, (87 and 30 connect) it won't back feed to the switch.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 735 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
I back feed timer 1 on my K&R procube all the time. It has not been a problem so far. Every time power is supplied (not from the delay box) timer 1 lights on the box.

I would still call Kevin just to be sure.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 735 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Gnd on 86 and power applied to 85 will draw what ever current the diode will limit in forward bias mode and only develop .7 volts across the relay coil. Most of the time the magic smoke gets out. The diode's anode the end opposite of the arrow direction needs to be tied to gnd. That diode's purpose is suppression of the kickback voltage which is opposite polarity of the applied voltage. Also many times the applied voltage but not much current. Like someone said they back feed 12v into the output of the delay box. There are power mosfets or transistors that function like a set of contacts with one end tied to the power and the other tied to and output terminal sometimes with an indicator .

Posts: 92 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
MSD has these humungus diodes. I used them to prevent feedback from line lock to K&R delay box. Which I cannot find.
Here is a 6 amp Painless diode from Summit.

Diode

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3303 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
Here ya go.
$4.66
20 each 10 amp x 1000 Volt

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3303 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
K&R says not problem as long as box has power at that time. Good less pieces in wiring the better. More lines in fuel system better too,it screws with folks mind when they can not figure out what they all do.Well maybe not better but fun.