DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    MFI filter placement
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MFI filter placement
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
A debate that I have never been able to really say one side is better than other.
WHere to run filter on MFI system,if you run a filter. I rarely run filter mainly due to I over maintenance a car. With nw deal being for bracket racing I figure better to have.

One side of coin. Infront of pump.Saves pump from trash. Could starve pump if too restrictive. Both should not be issue with fuel filtered to jug and from jug to tank and ystem cleaned weekly. Running top lube of some sort helps if allowed.
Other side after pump.Will keep fuel system gunk from plugging system and no chance to starve pump. Again should not be issue,but shyt happens right.

Main reason I run a pressure snsor right at pump too low or too high compared to past and red flag.

Thoughts and/or experiences?

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4192 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I run TWO very large filters on inlet side with a Y fitting so there is no restriction.

Right before the barrel valve I have a smaller one to catch fine stuff and yes I do everything possible to keep it clean before it gets in the tank.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4016 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I have always run the Aromotive 100 micron in front of the K valve, mine sits directly on top of shutoff valve (Between pump and valve) The point is to stop the nozzles from plugging and going lean on a cylinder and wear and tear in K valve. My fuel tank is drained and system cleaned and lubed after race day. Filter your fuel going in through fine filter in funnel. You will be fine if you use one, if you don't, you wont.

Posts: 97 | Location: Atlanta “Land Soft--Kill Quiet” | Registered: January 21, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I run a System one filter between the shut off and K valve. If you don't and you pump starts failing all that crap will go right in the K valve and nozzles. Filter in funnel when filling

Posts: 2431 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
I run a System one filter between the shut off and K valve. If you don't and you pump starts failing all that crap will go right in the K valve and nozzles. Filter in funnel when filling

Ditto

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
Both my cars have the filter mounted at the pump outlet.

Posts: 1364 | Location: Lansing,Mi | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
I filter from drum to jug. Then have a -16 filter inline between tank and pump. Nothing after that.
I do have a filter in the vent on the tank as well.

Going to put a filter between shut off and BV just to allow me to use smaller jets in ports or hat.

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3309 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post