DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Cooling Fan vs 16v Battery
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cooling Fan vs 16v Battery
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
Recently replaced the cooling fan on my car with a Spal VA10-AP50/C-61A.
Voltage
12v
Blade Diameter
305mm (12")
Current
11.8 - 12.7a

Question is could this fan have too much draw and kill the battery? I have a mini alternator and charge between rounds. The battery seems to not be able to keep up as in later round robin rounds it barely starts the car. Fan runs about 5 to 10 min between rounds to cool. Car has small radiator and does have limited airflow I get that but I didn't have this problem until changing the fan.

XS Power D1600 Battery.

Posts: 232 | Location: On the top of a bus! | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WHOMPWHOMP:
Two of my SPAL fans took a shyt on my dragster when I use to run 16 volt…no trouble on 12volt

Posts: 1258 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I understand that the fan may take a dump but this issue I have seems to be different.

Posts: 232 | Location: On the top of a bus! | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
12” SPAL fan on my dragster powered by the same 16 volt battery, no issues.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
It will draw less amperage at 16v than it does at 12v. I'd check all your wiring for voltage drop and make sure you don't have excessive resistance somewhere.....

I currently don't run an alternator and have had zero issues starting my 16.5:1 665" stuff even going several rounds without charging....sounds like something else might be causing it.

The mini alternator also likely doesn't have a high enough charge rate to replenish the battery, especially for the limited time it's running. I'm going to install a 100 amp on mine as soon as I can figure out where to put it....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I put a 100 amp alt. on last year and used a gilmer belt drive setup under driven 20% -puts out 65 amps at peek 2 red Optima batteries but still charge between early rounds Spal type fan -no issues

The difference between ignorance and stupidity. Ignorance is lack of knowledge. Stupidity is the inability to learn. Don't be stupid

Posts: 406 | Location: des moines iowa | Registered: January 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Charging between rounds is a must even with an alternator which I run, an ECAE 120amp super mini.

Is your alternator a super mini or ultra mini?

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
The principle that a motor uses less current at a higher voltage only applies to AC motors. Operating a DC motor at a voltage below nominal generally has no detrimental effect on performance. In fact, running a DC motor at lower than nominal voltage (and, therefore, slower than nominal speed) can result in less brush and commutator wear (for brushed motors), lower current consumption, and longer motor life. On the other hand, running a DC motor at a voltage higher than nominal increases current draw and can cause the motor coils to overheat, decreasing motor life.

Good Luck

Posts: 186 | Location: Rock><Hard Place | Registered: February 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Same fan and battery, no issues. The only item on my car that didn’t work right on 16 volts was my water pump. It was spinning so fast it would cavitate. Step down transformer fixed that issue.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5304 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Cashflow what water pump were you running? Also what step down did you use?

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Id argue that charging is not absolutely necessary if the system (entire car) is setup properly. Made 8 runs at Gainesville yesterday, every time the charger went on it immediately was in standby. When running the dragster years ago we charged it when we felt guilty, that car didn't know what a single entry was, on gas, in the Florida heat.

Posts: 89 | Location: Inverness, Fl | Registered: November 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I know it is necessary with a big HP, big compression bracket car that’s driven to the lanes and back to the pits with electric everything. Made 5 runs Saturday, didn’t charge the battery and it didn’t have enough to restart it on the return road. 15 starts with #16 not being able to crank fast enough

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
16V batteries are like the lithium battery on your cordless drill, 1 minute they give all they got, the next minute they have nothing to give. Plug the charger in between runs, even if its only for 5 or 10 minutes, every little bit helps. I have never ran an alternator with 16v battery on any car

As far as the fan and water pump, I have been running 16 volts for 8 or 9 years, never had and issue with either

Posts: 2422 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
a diode in line with a componet will drop the volts 1.5.two in series 3 volts and so on

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1409 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
could your battery be going bad

1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1409 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Im not ruling out the battery going bad but… its 6 months old. Changed previous battery because of same issue and I thought it was going bad. Wiring in the car has been checked, and the only 2 things running between rounds is the water pump and this fan. I have noticed when fan is on the volts drop about 1.3 volts on my digital gauge. Also I will be checking to make sure the charger is charging.

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
is that drop with charger, if you need a higher amp charger or one that works lol

1.036, 6.16@ 224

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
If you can do a load test on the battery. Make sure the battery is up first. Average draw about 200 amps for 15 sec. If battery drop below 9.8 volts. battery is bad.

Sulfation test, Charge battery @ 20-30 amps with DVOM hooked up. See what the voltage is. Anything over 15.8 reading on the volt scale, the battery is bad.
i run a pretty simple system Red top with a 48 amp alt. Small Delco. Never have i had to charge the battery.

I have come across in the past year some of the 31 series truck batteries i purchased have not been lasting.. One of my service trucks 4 months.

What is the CCA on the battery? That fan draw @ 11 Amps should not kill a 16 volt battery

It could be very well what Rusty stated. Poor input from the charger.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TD3550,

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I changed my fan when I went to a gas carb

Installed a fan with double the CFM as the old one but exact same size

It draws twice the amps but does a good job cooling

One thing that is true and always has been....Cycle your fan and water pump and it will cool better without draining the battery as quickly....

I have 2 12 volt batteries and a super mini alternator....Fan, water pump, fuel pump and a fan on my trans cooler....

My charger is always on between rounds early in a race and as much as possible even once we got to very little time between rounds....

I've never had a low battery condition get me with this setup and have started the engine many times including coasting on the return road

If you keep the heat down after a run as much as possible by coasting you're way better off.....Yes you do have to start it more times but for me that has always worked

On alcohol with a mechanical pump it's not an issue, period....on gas it is.....always has been.....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
The principle that a motor uses less current at a higher voltage only applies to AC motors.

Indeed. I have seen the false argument about power consumption with 16V forever.
When you run the fan on 16V, it turns faster than it did on 12V. Does that take more or less work? 16V isn't magic, so of course it is more work, and consumes more wattage. It's just that simple.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6399 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post