DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Electric vacuum pump
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Electric vacuum pump
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
I hear talk about racers installing an electric vacuum pump. It seems to me, doing so is a good idea because it will remove moisture from the crankcase without the engine running. In my specific situation, it would be used with Methanol as a moisture remover, not a power enhancer.
Are any of you doing this?

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1828 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure how much moisture will be removed pulling a vacuum with the engine not running to have moving air. I've seen blower cars use a wet dry vacuum but I'm pretty sure they are pulling fresh air through to remove moisture but I could be wrong.

My wife's car had a GM style electric vacuum pump for a bit that was pretty much useless.

I'd go with a standard vacuum pump and park it hot. Our oil is always clean and no rust on anything.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 465 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
CVR, makes an electric pump that pulls over 20" of vacuum. It's a little under $400 if I remember correctly. I think it's designed for power brake boosters but I've thought about using one instead of a belt driven pump.

Posts: 459 | Location: Maryland | Registered: January 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ron Gusack:
CVR, makes an electric pump that pulls over 20" of vacuum. It's a little under $400 if I remember correctly. I think it's designed for power brake boosters but I've thought about using one instead of a belt driven pump.

https://www.summitracing.com/p...mGE3NgBoCzzkQAvD_BwE

I do not think that vacuum pump will do much. It says maximum of 20 inches.
Water boils at 212* and alcohol about 165* if I remember right. Both boil at lower temps in a vacuum.
I always get oil and water temp way up after final round of the day. I will lean it out and toggle water pump off and on every 20 seconds or so to get it hot. I use the GZ Motorsports vacuum pump and it has worked really well.
You have to get the oil hot enough to boil the moisture out and move air to remove it from motor. When it gets hot enough you will see the steam come out the breather vent and oil quickly clears up.
Even if you left electric pump on for a while after you shut down motor if oil is not hot enough to boil it out then it will do little good.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3992 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Consider putting an engine oil temp sensor / gauge in the car. This will be helpful in determining what temp the oil reaches prior to shutting the engine off after a run. Methanol boils at 148*.

If you can increase the engine water temp using a lean out valve, I think this would better help to remove moisture at the end of the day.

With EFI at idle the egt is 650* using methanol in my engine. I have a virtual switch programmed on dash that leans out the idle by 30% and will raise the egt to 900*. Switching to the primer plus on 93 octane increases the egt to 1100*+ and is my method returning from the last run with oil over 200* and water in the 190’s. Never any water in the oil samples. I have EVAC.

I believe a single egt sensor can offer some good information using methanol also.

Posts: 2448 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post