New
Find
Notify
Tools

Header question
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
For the guy's that run side exit headers on a door car and what are the pro's and cons of running them. I am getting ready to build a new set and was wondering the best route to go. Also who or does anybody offer a weld up kit for side exit headers?

Posts: 33 | Location: waverly tn | Registered: February 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
Good:
1) much less noise in car
2) keeps heels cool on floorplan

Bad:
1) have to cut hole in body of car
2) takes time to get used to sound
3) burns side of car with N20 on

JMO

Posts: 1749 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
When I switched over to alkyl it really was unhealthy sucking all the exhaust in the car . Camaro was low could not extend pipes out the side or to the rear. Found a set from Schoenfeld which was reworked a little at the collector. The SBC really like the change , inside the car quite as if I had mufflers. Underside is clean as it could be , inside car flumes are non existent . The guys working the starting line really don't like the added exhaust aimed at them. The real best part is how easy it is to pull motor or trans , If you do this you'll wonder why you did not do sooner....

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2696 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Did anyone actually switch to side exit from regular under the floor and see a gain or loss in power ?.

Posts: 15 | Location: On Side of the mountian | Registered: March 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I tried to run regular pro stock style collector headers with blown alky. Bad idea. Got a couple 5 inch turnouts from a diesel truck place, did a little fab and cut some holes in the nose and it's great now. The car gets a little wider in the trailer was the only downside. And I've scared the starter a couple times.

Mcamis sells some nice body trim pieces for cheap that made the job a little easier.

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Run them out the side.

Posts: 16 | Location: Not at work | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Have you read the rule on exhaust exit must be to rear away from driver

Posts: 51 | Location: SAN LEANDRO CA | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I have asked a few Tech people and there answer has always been they don't know but everybody's doing it, one said if collector is angled back that could be considered to the rear

Posts: 51 | Location: SAN LEANDRO CA | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
If you bullhorn the headers, when removed the car is back to original width... taking them on and off is not too big of deal and can hear motor a lil better when bullhorn is slight turned toward back of car and even has a slight down force effect on the front end.

Posts: 1749 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Side exit doesn't destroy the floor from sound waves like under car headers do. My new car is going to be side exit for that reason. Also it keeps the under floor area MUCH cleaner.

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....
6.86 @ 198 trying for more......

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link

Posts: 1084 | Location: Nova Siri, Italy | Registered: June 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies, Looks like i will try a set, I have never really liked the way they sound outside the car but after talking to several people the good out weighs the bad.

Posts: 33 | Location: waverly tn | Registered: February 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post