DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Battery chargers for Optima?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Battery chargers for Optima?
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted
Red top Optima in the dragster...

I know long and slow/low is the procedure for just sitting in the trailer.....

1) What would be a max amps to be charging an Optima battery between rounds?

2)Which brand is working well for most? I'd like a smaller "shoebox" size charger..

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4447 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of XPS fan
posted Hide Post
Don't like the Optima chargers?

I resisted for a while ...... like them now.

NHRA Pro Stock..........now on a no CARB diet.

Posts: 2764 | Location: ohio | Registered: February 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I’ve used Redtop Optimas for years and years. I use an old (1980’s era) Sears Charger. 2-10 amp automatic and leave it on the car year round. It does have a boost mode but I never use it. Car has 2 batteries and an alternator. I run that charger between rounds anyway. I also have a Schumacher fast smart charger and rarely use it. I trust the Sears. I had one Optima go stone dead and brought it back to life and it lasted another few years before it failed and it was in my truck camper by then. So for me 10 amps and under has worked best. Low and slow....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of RB72Duster
posted Hide Post
I use a CTEK charger. I usually hook up on Thursday to get a good charge on the battery for the weekend. I also use it between rounds even though it is a slow charger. It has enough time between runs in the early rounds to get a full charge. I also run an alternator so the battery doesn't get discharged too much between rounds. I probably wouldn't charge it with more than 10 amps but I'm not an expert on that. Also, I use a yellow top.

Posts: 152 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of TPaton
posted Hide Post
When I called Optima last summer when I bought my car, the told me no more than 10 amps max.
I bought a Schumacher SCHSSC-1000A. I heard the Schumacher ones supposedly are junk, But I bought this one and it has worked well. I do have an alternator on my car so I don't need to charge every round. But for.the money this one seems to do.the job. I charge mine on the 6 amp setting to.top it off.

Posts: 105 | Location: PA | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
I also been using Redtop Optimas since 2007 in all my race cars. Presently running two with out an alternator. I charge between rounds without any troubles. Some weekends I'll double up in Super Pro and S/ST and never had any issues. Also the charger I use goes to 22.8 amps put drop to below 10 amps in minutes. The Optimas rep. stated its all about the heat when charging these batteries. The charger I've been using also shows at what rate its charging. In ten years have only replaced one battery, and I believe that was when I had an alternator in the car with a single Redtop (100amp alternator)
The charger I still used for last 11 years ..... just my 2 cents

http://www.premiumanswers.com/...r/B000EJV5II/details

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2697 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
When I called Optima last summer when I bought my car, the told me no more than 10 amps max

That's kinda what I've always thought also..
Just got to thinking that 10 amp/hour would be pissing in a bucket on a 1000ah battery. Am I not looking at it correctly?
I have an 80amp alternator on the car just to keep voltage up for the t-stop, ignition and shifter. BIG difference in how hard the shifter hits and t-stop cycles when alternator is spinning.
But even though it keeps the voltage up, I'm assuming a couple of minutes per run doesn't charge the battery much..
All this has came up because my 30yr old Sears charger just gave up. And I KNOW if it worked that long why change? Because all the Sears ones look lightweight/cheap and scream Chinese..I'm not offshore anal but I can't see electricity so I'm suspicious of it..lol

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4447 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:

ooooooooh....I like this one!! The 20a tapering down to 10a sounds like a winner to me...I'd just have to put my plug-in end on the cable..

Dave

F J B

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
There are some old style transformer/rectifier small chargers still out there. If it’s cheap, it’s Import and quality is questionable. Anything Schumacher is probably an Asian import. I did some internet shopping a while ago and saw some decent looking machines but forget the brands.

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of TPaton
posted Hide Post
I have a black and Decker similar to the the one mentioned, but it is fully automatic where you cant choose the charge rate. I think it killed.my original redtop, but the battery was roughly 6 to 7 years old. That's why I bought the Schumacher, so.i.could choose the charging rate

Posts: 105 | Location: PA | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imakehp:
quote:

ooooooooh....I like this one!! The 20a tapering down to 10a sounds like a winner to me...I'd just have to put my plug-in end on the cable..

Well naturally this charger is discontinued...B&D site says "This item is discontinued and is replaced by a newer model"

But no luck finding anything on their website....

Dave

F J B

DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
Sorry to steer you the wrong way, I have been looking online for the last 2Hrs. this unit was sold under several names but was last sold in 2015. I got and antique I guess. The more I think about this battery issue thinking about some new batteries too... LOL

This is what I'm going to buy as a backup....

Check out the video

https://www.northerntool.com/s...&utm_content=336x280

I'll give you a PM after I try it out....

Posts: 2697 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Bruce Williams
posted Hide Post
Dave, I read on the Optima web some ware no more than 10 amps.

Bruce Lee Cool

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Posts: 2033 | Location: Chandler Arizona | Registered: August 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
But we're drag racers Bruce....

If a little is good, more is better !!!! Big Grin

Seriously though, think of the MANY MANY 1000's of Optima batteries in cars with 100-150 amp alternators that are living fine at that charging rate....
Like I said, I can't see electricity. So I'm damn suspicious of it. AND the people and things that make it. lol

Dave

F J B

DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Williams:
Dave, I read on the Optima web some ware no more than 10 amps.

I've read the same thing Bruce....But I 've been doing this with for years with good results. I can't tell you why its been working for me....

DRR Sportsman
Picture of 369dragster
posted Hide Post
Schumacher farm and ranch charger, I use it on 30amp when running fan and water pump and drop it to 10 when I shut them off.

Ken

Posts: 319 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
2 Red tops in the dragster, no alternator

Schumacher stand up charger.

Been doing 20 Amps up to 90 minutes for many years.

Never a problem, never dead.

Dumb luck?

Posts: 235 | Location: Justin, TX | Registered: July 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of head gamez
posted Hide Post
I have had a CTEk for several years now. Charge it during the week and then between rounds. It normally has enough time to run the whole cycle between rounds.

It has also “restored” a few batteries around the house that wouldn’t take a charge or stay charged. It’s pricey, but it has been a good one.

[URL=CTEK (56-674) Multi US 25000 8-step, Fully Automatic 12 Volt 25 Amp Battery Charger https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004...i_bs.NAb3CMF7M2]CTek Charger[/URL]

Mikey

Posts: 1706 | Location: In a Marriott near you! | Registered: February 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
I bought a digital Schumacher charger a few years ago - I don't remember a the model number but it was supposed to be one of the better models and its very sketchy. It will charge to 70% and then stop and flash "bad bat" and stop charging but I will disconnect & reconnect it and it will show 100%. I leave it at home and keep a trusty old Craftsman with a conventional needle-gauge in the trailer.
Also, FWIW - my my Interstate dealer said that there is a special test procedure for Optima batteries. If you try to load-test them like a conventional battery you will not get accurate results. I change them after 5 years, that seems to be the magic number.

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 625 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of these in great shape. Loved how they worked. I don't use Optima anymore as we have went to Altronics 16v lithium.

$100 each shipped. They are $200 new.

Scott...

Posts: 2100 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post