DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Battery chargers for Optima?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Battery chargers for Optima?
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
Picture of XPS fan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DragRaceResults:
I have a couple of these in great shape. Loved how they worked. I don't use Optima anymore as we have went to Altronics 16v lithium.

$100 each shipped. They are $200 new.

Scott...

Good stuff ...... and good deal !

NHRA Pro Stock..........now on a no CARB diet.

Posts: 2764 | Location: ohio | Registered: February 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of RB72Duster
posted Hide Post
I don't think the 1200 is made anymore. The only Optima battery charger I can find new is the 400.

Edit: Just checked Summit Racing and they show they are backordered until the end of April.

Posts: 152 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post
Both are spoken for at this time. Something changes I'll let ya know.

Thanks!
SL...

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Underdog99
posted Hide Post
I called BatteryMart about this in regard to an Odyessey battery. Naturally they wanted to sell me a $180 charger. I found this article informative.
http://www.hotrod.com/articles...harge-a-agm-battery/

Posts: 72 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: October 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of ChuckT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imakehp:
Red top Optima in the dragster...

I know long and slow/low is the procedure for just sitting in the trailer.....

1) What would be a max amps to be charging an Optima battery between rounds?

2)Which brand is working well for most? I'd like a smaller "shoebox" size charger..

Dave, I use 10 amp on mine between rounds, as the water pump and fan cool it off, then leave it on for a few minutes more. 10-15 minutes tops, never had an issue.

My buddy and I share use of his charger, think it's a Craftsman, 2/10/50 options on it.

'81 Cutlass, KX05, Keystone Raceway Park
Millerstown Pic-A-Part, Tarentum, PA
Wholesale Transmission, New Kensington, PA
Thinking of Nikki and Mark - forever 53

Posts: 7228 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: December 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
Update for those who care. Got a Optima charger yesterday and this thing is awesome. Funny when you open the Positive clip a light come on so you can see in the dark , plus it has a tiny red light to let you know its the positive lead......LOL
All kinds of extra features making it a great product . Old charger would click off when it got to .7 amp
this keeps working till its below .2 amp... Got it Monday so race I'll see how is works at the track in a week or two, and report back then ...

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2697 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
I'd like to see all of the 10amp alternators these batteries are hooked up to.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Roger McGinnis:
I'd like to see all of the 10amp alternators these batteries are hooked up to.

That's got to be the best laugh on the day award for sure.....

Posts: 2697 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of SR2010
posted Hide Post
I hope you get better life out of the Optima charger than I did. Bought one from Jegs, after a few months of sitting inside the garage hooked to the race car the LCD display stopped working. Called Optima, they repaired it under warranty. After getting it back it worked OK in the garage. 1st time I took it to the track the display went grey again. Called Optima, was told they will only repair once under warranty even though it wasn't even a year old, basically I was SOL.

The lady I spoke was very nice but said her hands were tied, that was company policy. She told me off the record this was an inherent issue with the 1200 displays, they can't handle direct sunlight and heat.

The charger still works but is a PITA not having the display. I went back to using my trusty 25 year old Craftsman charger at the track.

Posts: 21 | Location: Ooltewah, TN | Registered: September 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
This one is not new just new to me. Thanks for heads up, may just use it in the garage...LOL This was going to be my back up , but even night races here start out at the 104 degrees. I'm out in the hot southwest desert....LOL

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Been running redtops for 10+ years in my dragster. 40 amp blast for 30 min. between rounds,double enter the car with no alternator. Everything works fine.

Posts: 475 | Location: here | Registered: February 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by team:
Been running redtops for 10+ years in my dragster. 40 amp blast for 30 min. between rounds,double enter the car with no alternator. Everything works fine.

Been doing close to the same for years , doubled this weekend with two red tops and no alternators with classes side by side . Put it on at 25 amps it falls fast and is at a charge rate oh 1.8 amps buy the time I fuel and check weather (about 10 mins)