DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Help with converter
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help with converter
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Looking for opinions for a new converter for a 3100lb w/driver mustang. 1/8th mile footbrake car with a 408w. Think car should run 6.50’s.
ATI, FTI, BTE, PTC, Coan, Ultimate, etc what’s everyone’s opinion.

Also looking to shift at 6500, how much flash do I want?

Posts: 26 | Location: va | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
For the last 10 years or so I have enjoyed an excellent relationship with Ultimate. The converter always performs as expected and the service is professional.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1834 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
sbc, n/a, all steel w/triple chrome plated steel bumpers, factory condition 69 Nova all steel,roll up glass windows. 10 x 28 tiny tire.

1.27 60 ft. Transmission Specialties 8" spragless, I have a PTC 8" w/ sprag as well been 1.28 60 ft.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Waylon:
1/8th mile footbrake car with a 408w. Think car should run 6.50’s looking to shift at 6500, how much flash do I want?

Peak HP/Torque and at what RPM?

Examples of above average performers with the right converter...all are all steel, all have triple chrome plated bumpers, all are "factory condition", all have roll up windows, all are on 10 x30 "tiny tires" all use 4150 carbs, all are launched off the footbrake, all have bolt on suspensions

3150 lbs. sbc, n/a, mufflers

1.27 60 ft. Continental 10" mechanical diode

3880 lbs., street/strip, BBC, n/a, FULL factory interior, full exhaust, factory unsumped gas tank, power steering, power brakes

1.28 60 ft. ATI 8" sprag converter

3150 lbs., 351C
1.32 60 ft. ATI 8" sprag converter

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
Call Marco Abruzzi and he can get you setup with whatever you may want.

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
My Transmission builder recommend Hughes and they were great. I talked to Stephen Hughes there, gave him my dyno sheet, answered a bunch of questions and we agreed on where it should stall for my needs. He nailed it perfect FIRST time. Many say use So and So but then you find they sent it back to them 2 or 3 times to get it right.
Hughes got mine perfect first time.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4018 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Everyone will recommend the manufacturer they use and boosting how your favorite got it right on the first try is no great feat for a race converter builder who has been building converters for decades. ATI has done exactly that for everyone of my bracket converters for nearly 30 years and now BTE has done the same for my Super Comp dragster and Super Street Firebird throttle stop cars.

So telling the op to call your favorite doesn't help him.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Ed isnt that kinda what u did is told them to call your favorite? Marco and hughes and everyone else mentioned in this post in my opinion all build good converters. Some are better than others in certain departments.

Posts: 155 | Location: Syracuse NY | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
No, I stated that it's no great feat for a race converter builder who has been building converters for decades to get it right on the first try and I provided examples of cars who's performance is impressive for what they are.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Hey 1320racer
check your private messages

Posts: 26 | Location: va | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
u did the same thing lol

Posts: 155 | Location: Syracuse NY | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
so who's my favorite ATI, BTE or Continental?

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
ur favorite is probably ATI but ur marketing partner is BTE so u cant answer the question honestly.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
It's mostly experience torque converter manufacturers get stall correct first go around. There are variables on the customer end, which make it impossible to get stall correct first time, or in other words pure luck.

For this reason anyone who understands converter operation, won't judge the quality of any given converter solely on the stall being correct first go around. A good converter is just fast, I've had identical converters one is 3-4 hundredths faster than the other. For this reason when I establish a good converter, it won't be cut open for adjustment, or sold.

Converters are like carbs, when you get a fast carb, you keep it.

Judging a converter company by stall being correct first go around, is low level info - tech.

You judge the converter once the stall is correct.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Waylon:
Hey 1320racer
check your private messages

got it, back to you soon

quote:
Originally posted by topd1332:
ur favorite is probably ATI but ur marketing partner is BTE so u cant answer the question honestly.

sure I can. ATI built me several converters for my bracket footbrake cars and by all witnessed accounts, they nailed it every time.

BTE has built me converters for my throttle stop cars and they too have nailed it, evident by our 2018 S/C division championship, followed by a runner up finish in the division last year and finishing #4 in the country in only our 2nd season chasing the division championship and first season chasing the world championship.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
If you're looking to eek every bit of performance out of a torque converter, it can be read here.

We have two pump configurations ready to go and two input shaft configurations to optimize this converter. As well as two servo designs to adjust line pressure for adequate pressure per servo.

All the big gains in performance happen early in the run, once power is optimized / established.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
that I agree with and have been saying it here and on other forums since 1998.

ALL your ET n/a is made in the first 330 feet and if the car doesn't 60 foot it won't ET.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't say "all", for example we anticipate jumping in DXP Street with guys who have made thousands of runs on small 275 dot radial tires with pretty good power.Typically what happens is you have 4-5 guys who run up front, usually all the same usual suspects 1.10 - 1.11 60ft. If you can do the work and come up with a 1.08 or nine that's a big gain in performance. It's the same for say Top Dragster or when two Super Stockers run head up.

What we wanna do is always the same, have the better RT and have the lead, if someone drives by ya it just makes for a good drag race. If that happens it just means ya gotta work a little harder on the front half, or come off the wallet for more power. We ain't spending money, we're gonna work on the RT and front half, it's free.

Plus the front is the proving ground IMO, once you have 16 - 20 cars in the parking lot that haul azz..

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Waylon, check your PM

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I have heard so many different opinions by a bunch of racers and different converter companies that it needs between 5000 all the way to 5800 flash at this point so confused have no idea what it needs