DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Dragster; Using Three Step during burnout, Yes or No
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dragster; Using Three Step during burnout, Yes or No
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Does anyone still use a three step for a dragster burn out. It use to be very popular and then it faded away in my neck of the woods. I’m thinking about using mine. Any thoughts or warnings?

Posts: 102 | Location: Work | Registered: April 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
yes

Posts: 477 | Location: here | Registered: February 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I did with what I think to be good results. Just consider the burnout is always at the same RPM, plus, you can simply deck the throttle. I used a switch for the burnout and trained myself to operate the switch as part of the routine.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1830 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Upon reflecting, "why do I no longer do a three-step for burnout?"

I will think about that and get back to you.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1830 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
i use mine 7000 rpm

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1410 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I recently started using the three step....about 20 years ago being recent I guess. LOL.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6403 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I have broken a rocker arm twice in my drag racing experience, both in a burnout while on a three step.

Posts: 36 | Location: Bradenton | Registered: August 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Ryan, can you offer any insight as to why the three-step broke rockers? Such happenings are a puzzle to me because I do not understand how limiting RPM to a set point causes damage.

Larry Woodfin

DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
My deal is not like a normal bracket set up, I use mine as a backup to keeping the RPM where I want it. Banging off the limiter is not the best thing for an engine, keep it to a minimum.

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 00 DEAD ON
posted Hide Post
NO.

Brian Mollison
2009 RaceTech Dragster
2020 Sumerduck Dragway VA Top ET Champion
2017 Sumerduck Top ET & SSS Track Champion
2017 MAC Top ET Track Champion
2009 Sumerduck Dragway Va Top ET & IHRA SSS Track Champion
2008 IHRA Division 1 Top ET Bracket Final Runner-up
2007 Colonial Beach Dragway Top ET Track Champion

Posts: 1026 | Location: Stafford, Virginia | Registered: October 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
I stopped using one 2-3 years ago. I think it was after reading a David Reher article about engine harmonics.

I don't think he said that RPM limiters are bad as a rule, but if you happen to be holding the engine at a steady RPM where harmonics are it can have disastrous results. Using your foot will keep the RPMs fluctuating and avoids that.

Found it!

Are Burnout Abusing Your Engine?

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3155 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post
Yup we use them on our cars.

Posts: 2103 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Yes and if I don't conditions can be drastically different and rpm can get away from me....or you try to control it with your foot...and you end up doing a poor burnout...

Cool conditions....lots of water
Hot conditions.....not so much water

I do very short burnouts in hot weather....
Don't even go over the starting line at Atco on a regular basis....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
Have a buddy, gxp on here, who will set his 3-step at say 7000 rpm but then use his foot to keep it around 6600-6800 only hitting the limiter when rpm goes too high, like a fail safe for your foot.. I plan on trying to do that routine this year with switching to a spread port motor and having the offset valvetrain.. On the conventional headed, smaller cam motor I had previous years I'd set the 3-step at around 200-300 rpm more than converter stall and let it eat.

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
We have a burnout button...simply dont use it. Very abusive to valve train IMO.

VERY easy to control rpm in burnout in a bracket dragster...i get it with a blower,turbo, or procharger... nut NA from 500 inch to 900 inch we had not issue controlling burnout rpm in door car or dragster.

Was it Reher Morrison who did a video with clear valve covers on a high side chip? Looked like it was coming apart?

Posts: 1751 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
Yes.

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12167 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of diceman1530
posted Hide Post
yes

Working for the Weekend!!!!
Fordyce Motorsports

Posts: 253 | Location: Williamstown, NJ | Registered: November 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I've never used my three step as of yet. My intention is to use a 7000 chip. When i check my recall i feel like i get it a little excessive high for just a burnout. I leave @ 4400, shift completion on time @ 7050, cross @ 7000-7100. This where I came up with my chip size, i have no intention of going to floor and just banging off of chip.

Posts: 102 | Location: Work | Registered: April 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I have a screw blown hemi and it's easy to just use the throttle for the burnout

Posts: 7 | Location: morton il | Registered: January 13, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
For those who don't use the three step...do you use the two step on the brake?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6403 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post