Bracket Talk
longer tire screws

This topic can be found at:
https://drr.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/80760912/m/1507040396

April 05, 2020, 05:10 PM
J Allen
longer tire screws
Fresh Lil Bubbas & the 3/4" long tire screws don't penetrate the bead very far (I know should be bead locks). Where can one get hardened #14 x 1" hex head screws? Are they sheet metal screws?
April 05, 2020, 05:16 PM
Canted Valve
I don't have and answer for you. But you couldn't have had worse timing. Ed is back, out on a work release program, so you will likely be entitled to his renown wisdom in this area.

Illegitimi non carborundum
April 05, 2020, 05:26 PM
WHOMPWHOMP
Sell um....get BEADLOCKS....I’ve seen two sets blown off...but it’s your azz...
April 05, 2020, 05:37 PM
RacerVX54
quote:
Originally posted by WHOMPWHOMP:
Sell um....get BEADLOCKS....I’ve seen two sets blown off...but it’s your azz...

What he said beadlocks.. Pretty sure it stamped on the tire. Seen a set pop off the bead during a burnout..

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55
April 05, 2020, 05:47 PM
TORQIN
I have to agree...the tire says beadlocks only if I am not mistaken?
April 05, 2020, 06:03 PM
TD3550
quote:
Originally posted by J Allen:
Fresh Lil Bubbas & the 3/4" long tire screws don't penetrate the bead very far (I know should be bead locks). Where can one get hardened #14 x 1" hex head screws? Are they sheet metal screws?

Who knows when 66 will be open.. Wild guess. Didn't ever hear anything on certs or ETI's for a matter of fact. How have you been?
April 05, 2020, 07:59 PM
markemark
Send them to Neil & Parks and have DBL installed. They can turn them around in less than a week. Did mine same day as received. Beautiful conversion.
April 05, 2020, 08:13 PM
Big Steve
quote:
Originally posted by TORQIN:
I have to agree...the tire says beadlocks only if I am not mistaken?

Tire actually says Beadlocks recommended but you would have to be crazy to run them without. Like others have said, more than one set has come off the rim on racers who have tried
April 05, 2020, 08:14 PM
Bucky
I don’t see anything on the website about beadlocks. But there is a recommended tube.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
April 08, 2020, 07:42 PM
Mark Cmar
poor guy just wanted info on screws
April 08, 2020, 07:55 PM
vetman
J check out ace hardware they have them in stainless

The difference between ignorance and stupidity. Ignorance is lack of knowledge. Stupidity is the inability to learn. Don't be stupid
April 08, 2020, 09:46 PM
Richie
J Allen, you can also check out McMaster.com
April 08, 2020, 10:39 PM
imakehp
Since this post has already drifted away from screws to beablocs, I'm going to take the opportunity to broach an idea.....

What if someone was to drill say 14 even placed h0les in the bead of a slick and press in flanged, threaded inserts from the back/inside. Then drill holes in the same pattern in the rim and thread bolts through the h0les into the inserts and tighten them up for a different type of beadloc? Almost like rim screws on steroids...

Just thinking out loud.....

Dave

F J B

April 08, 2020, 10:49 PM
fasterat
I like the home made beadlock-ish idea!
April 08, 2020, 11:00 PM
imakehp
It wouldn't have to be home made...establish a standard and tires could come with the insert already installed or molded into the bead during the manufacturing process. a smart aftermarket guy could design and sell a template to drill matching h0les in existing rims. And new rims could be ordered with or without the h0les.
pulling the bead tight against the rim lip and the shear strength of 14-15 grade 8 bolts would/should far exceed pinching the tire in between 2 pieces of aluminum as with existing beadloc systems.

Dave

F J B

April 09, 2020, 05:20 AM
Bucky
I like it, but, how hard do you think they would be to line up on both sides consistently when mounting a tire? I don't mount my own slicks, so I don't have experience with it.
If your idea wasn't going far enough, a steel or aluminum halo could go behind the threaded inserts. Almost a beadlock asides from the rim, and frankly the rim doesn't have a strength issue.
Your idea would also eliminate stripped rim screw holes and screws broken off in the rim screw hole. I dig it.

It seems to me the cost of beadlocks is more than what they ought to be.

Speaking of outside the box, does anyone run tubes in their tires? I never have, but saw the recommendation by I think MT. Am I missing the boat?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
April 10, 2020, 11:17 AM
Bucky
I PM'ed you Dave

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo