Share |
DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Generator/Transfer Switch Question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Generator/Transfer Switch Question
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted
I have a Generac QP75 generator and a 50 amp transfer switch. When I start the generator it takes a while for the switch to make contact.

When I first bought the trailer it would switch almost instantly when I fired the generator up. If I plug in to the shop it transfers instantly. What do you think?

Dave

One Big A s s Mistake America

Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc'-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Two short sentences tell you a lot about our government.

"We are told NOT to judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics."

BUT...

"We are encouraged TO judge ALL Gun Owners by the actions of a few lunatics."

Posts: 2913 | Location: Under the Bridge, (man this place is nice)!!, TEXAS.. | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
The generators output voltage needs to be checked at the terminals in the ATS right after it starts.

See what the voltage is....Maybe it is low or the generator is not getting up to the proper speed. The ATS needs to "see" something clsoe to the right voltage to operate....

It can't do what it is supposed to if the voltage is low or not there right away...

If the voltage is low or not there at the ATS genset input terminals right away....The problem is with the generator or wiring from the genset to the ATS.

If the volatge is good and right away.....the ATS has an issue...

Some of them have a time delay feature....actually a lot of them do....and it may be switchable.....from instant on to a time delay and usualy has a dip swtich in the ATS to change it....Maybe it got switched somehow or changed on it's own.....It is a little circuit board inside the ATS.....

Not too hard to diagnose with a simple volt meter....

Posts: 2081 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Bill Koski
posted Hide Post
I have a 7.5K Generac and have to clean the slip rings on a regular basis.

TAKE IT TO THE BANK!!!!!
OBAMAVILLE has arrived in some locales!!!!!

Later, Bill Koski

Posts: 11760 | Location: KEWEENAW BAY, MICHIGAN, USA | Registered: December 03, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Also check the frequency. The voltage can be dead on, but if the frequency is 59 or 61 cycles, it should not transfer. It needs to stabilizes both frequency and voltage before it can transfer.

Posts: 148 | Location: coquille,or | Registered: November 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply's.

I have the generator out servicing it right now.

I've replaced the brushes (second set), adjusted the valves, replaced the hoses to the oil cooler (they were loose/leaking), plugs, cleaned the reed valve, and changing the oil. The main reason for removing it was to change the belt as it is 8 years old and I hate to have a problem that I can prevent. I have a new belt on the way. Belt actually looked good, but pushrods were wearing where they go through the guide plates. I'm also cleaning all the panels inside and out plus adding some insulation inside the gen box.

These things are miserable to work on with a hundred screws holding them together.

First set of brushes wore out when it was about 3 years old at the bracket finals.

I first notice the ATS wasn't right maybe a couple of years ago and it seems to be getting slower to activate each time. As an additional problem I will suddenly lose power after it has run for a short while maybe 30 - 45 minutes. I shut it down and restart it, wait for the ATS to click and then I'm good to go the rest of the night.

There is a adustment at the voltage regulator to adjust the voltage correct? The freq is adjusted by rpm same as every other gen set I've worked on correct?

I'll check all the settings on the bench before putting it back in the trailer.

Thanks

Dave

Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc'-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

BUT...

Posts: 2913 | Location: Under the Bridge, (man this place is nice)!!, TEXAS.. | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
There may be a voltage adjustment pot on the AVR, I don't work on Generacs much so I can't say for sure there is.

Voltage should be set at 120 and yes frequency is engine speed on std units, NOT inverters though. A good voltmeter reads frequency right at the AC voltage. I use a Fluke 83 that is old and beat up from 20 years of use......

Until you verify that your generators voltage comes up right away and is at 120 you can't go any further..

The ATS' in RV's are not very sophisticated and operate on AC voltage and have no ability to reject that voltage because the frquency is not right.....

I work on vans all the time with Onan CMM 7000 gas engined units and many have an ATS.....
If the generator is unstable speed wise....the ATS never drops out.....lights dim....machines vary on their speed.....Proof the ATS is not sensitive to HZ.....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SCDIV1,

Posts: 2081 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
There may be a voltage adjustment pot on the AVR, I don't work on Generacs much so I can't say for sure there is.

Voltage should be set at 120 and yes frequency is engine speed on std units, NOT inverters though. A good voltmeter reads frequency right at the AC voltage. I use a Fluke 83 that is old and beat up from 20 years of use......

Until you verify that your generators voltage comes up right away and is at 120 you can't go any further..

The ATS' in RV's are not very sophisticated and operate on AC voltage and have no ability to reject that voltage because the frquency is not right.....

I work on vans all the time with Onan CMM 7000 gas engined units and many have an ATS.....
If the generator is unstable speed wise....the ATS never drops out.....lights dim....machines vary on their speed.....Proof the ATS is not sensitive to HZ.....

Thanks.

I'll give it a good check out when I get the belt back on.

Dave

BUT...

DRR Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
OK, the generator is reinstalled with a few modifications to the compartment.

While it was on the bench I fired it up with lights hooked to both legs of the AC output. As soon as it started both lights came on so out put was almost immediate.

The voltage regulator has an LED and it was flickering as I was cranking showing voltage was present and it went solid as soon as it started.

According to the manual the transfer switch has a time delay before activating on the generator side. Supposed to be a 20 - 30 second delay. But I have anywhere up to a couple of minutes. I have in the past had to shut down and restart, then wait before it would transfer.

I'm thinking a new time delay PC board at this point. A 65.00 fix.

Thanks

Dave

BUT...

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
As long as the contactors are good.....replacing the control board is fine....

Be sure to look for any overheated contacts or coils on them.....

Some are shielded with a plastic cover and some are open contacts....

Last time I did one I replaced the whole thing as we keep a couple on the shelf....

DRR Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I'll check that first.

Dave

BUT...

DRR Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
Pulled the contacts and coil. Contacts looked good as in no corrosion. Coil checked @ 73.5 ohms (spec is 75-80). According to the troubleshooting chart it is the PCB. I ordered one..

Thanks
Dave

BUT...