New
Find
Notify
Tools

T400 with no R
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I use a th400, 30yrs old in car and rebuilt several times in the 15 yrs I’ve owned. Came with a standard brake VB that would go reverse without brake in R, and if in neutral and using brake it’d go reverse also. It uses an ATD 1+2 now and it needs the brake to go reverse. ATD goes reverse in both R and N with brake energized. Never had fluid come out of vent. Always check at 140* trans temp and set level to add line on dipstick. Has an Ultrabell and aftermarket planetary.

Posts: 2447 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ron Gusack:

The other thing this trans has always done is push lots of atf out the vent tube. I've had 2 rebuilds and asked to make sure that the vent tube issue be fixed, but it doesn't happen.

Not to derail the thread, but surely, this is NOT the same core I rebuilt for you and Kenny WAY back in the day? Like 40 years ago? Eek Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Need someone with experience in T400's and your brake. To me it sounds like possibly the TB valve is hanging up or the spring broke. I'm not familiar with T400 with TB's. Is this solenoid internal?

Posts: 1451 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom396:
quote:
Originally posted by Ron Gusack:

The other thing this trans has always done is push lots of atf out the vent tube. I've had 2 rebuilds and asked to make sure that the vent tube issue be fixed, but it doesn't happen.

Not to derail the thread, but surely, this is NOT the same core I rebuilt for you and Kenny WAY back in the day? Like 40 years ago? Eek Take care. Tom Worthington

No, that trans is long gone

Posts: 459 | Location: Maryland | Registered: January 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eman:
Need someone with experience in T400's and your brake. To me it sounds like possibly the TB valve is hanging up or the spring broke. I'm not familiar with T400 with TB's. Is this solenoid internal?

No, external

Posts: 459 | Location: Maryland | Registered: January 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
Goob...To be fair, this trans leaked out the vent tube before I took it to the guy that did this rebuild. I bought a case from a company that put my internals in their case because my bell broke. I should've just replaced my broken bell with an sfi, but I didn't. This was when my vent tube started losing atf. This last build was supposed to take care of the vent tube issue, but it's worse than before.

Mark, I'm not sure about this trans not going to R while in N before I lost R with the shifter, I never tried pushing the button while in N before this happened.