DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Brake light switch
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brake light switch
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
I am in the process of building a new door car and i was wondering what most people are using to make your brake light's work as far as a switch and how are you wiring them?

Posts: 33 | Location: waverly tn | Registered: February 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
pressure switch

Posts: 25 | Location: Iowa | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
I'm building a S10 style truck with a tubular column but a stock style/modified brake pedal. I simply used an early GM plunger style brake light switch. I fabbed up a little bracket that bolts to the factory column mount. The GM switch is threaded, so easily adjustable and cost me $8 at Napa.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
This is a tube chasis car and i have not quite figured out how i will do it yet.

Thanks

Posts: 33 | Location: waverly tn | Registered: February 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
I recommend a hydraulic pressure switch for reliability. Borg Warner (BWD) P/N S194 is what I have been using on my race cars for over 20 years. 1/8" Male NPT threads, 2 male bullet terminals, N.O. It is very compact, about the size of a small walnut. I mount them in brass Tee fittings close to the master cylinder.
It was the OEM brake light switch on most U.S. vehicles for almost 40 years. Never used by Chevrolet, but it appeared on every other GM brand, (Buick, Olds, Pontiac, Cadillac), plus Dodge, Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Chrysler, Plymouth, Jeep, AMC, Hudson, etc...
They react quickly, and last forever. I use them to trigger/release 2-steps as well as brake lights. I know Advance has them for about $10, so does Speedway Motors.
O'Reilly sells a Standard Ignition version, SLS27. Haven't tried that one, probably identical or similar. Lifetime warranty, too.
Since the parts stores no longer employ many car/parts guys, just ask for a brake light switch for a 65 Ford F-250 pickup. If they need to know what engine, tell them it has a 352.

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1037 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I used above brake pressure switch in mine.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sr4440
posted Hide Post
painless has a nice switch with the connector, comes on at 25 PSI. good price

https://www.amazon.com/Painles...32&s=gateway&sr=8-14

Joe

Without data, you’re just another guy with an opinion.

Posts: 1300 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
I use the switch Footbrake Jim recommended. I use it for my 2 step when no box racing. If you have a Hurst roll control it threads right into the port so you don't even have to cut a brake line.

Posts: 1462 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thanks guy's