Find
Notify
Tools

U-joint help
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Rob7181
posted
Does anyone recognize the u-joint on the right? The spicer 1350 on the left will not go in the yoke or shaft, as the center body is too large. Bought a new shaft for the Camaro in my avatar and want to change the old joints and keep the old one in the trailer.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rob7181,

Rob Robertson

Posts: 961 | Location: Welcome, MD | Registered: December 06, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Looks like a standard gm ujoint. Precision part# 534g. Did the caps have inside lock rings?

Posts: 487 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Rob7181
posted Hide Post
Yes internal snap rings on both shaft and yoke

They both are the same cap to cap. The thickness of the body is the problem.

Rob Robertson

Posts: 961 | Location: Welcome, MD | Registered: December 06, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
If you are keeping the old shaft including the yoke, can't you just replace the joints with same as what came out? Not positive on I'd of joint on right ,but precision 534g is my best guess. If you have a good Napa or similar part store local, take the cross and caps in. Maybe if you are lucky someone there can identify it. As long as the store still has a catalog and someone who can use a book to find a part. Btw, sorry for the late reply, I just got off work.

Posts: 487 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Rob7181
posted Hide Post
Woolley,

I would be fine replacing them with what I have, but I don’t know what that is. They measure cap to cap the same as a 1350.

Rob Robertson

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Strange Eng would likely be the place to get a quick answer

Posts: 235 | Location: Justin, TX | Registered: July 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of LARAY
posted Hide Post
If you can get me the cap measurements and the trunion measurement both directions without the caps on it i can find it. If the trunion measures different length's my first guess would be a 372 precision.

Posts: 579 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: January 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Rob7181
posted Hide Post
How do you measure the Trunion, from what point to what point?

Rob Robertson

DRR Sportsman
Picture of LARAY
posted Hide Post
With the caps off measure total distance from side to side on both directions.

Posts: 579 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: January 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Rob7181
posted Hide Post
Caps off both sides measure 3.375” Caps on 3.625” for my old one, which are the same measurements as the 1350x which I have new. The bodies are the only difference.

Rob Robertson

DRR Sportsman
Picture of LARAY
posted Hide Post
I am assuming an 1 1/8 cap if so the precision number is 492...

If an 1 3/16 cap the precision number is 423

DRR Pro
Picture of Rob7181
posted Hide Post
Spoke with Mark Williams tech, who basically said Spicer started making the body bigger 10 years ago and it would require eyebrowing both ends of the shaft as the end of the yoke.

Anyone have some new old stock u joints they want to trade for some new new stock Ujoints?

Rob Robertson

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Need to measure the caps

"Sugar Shane"

Posts: 119 | Location: No clue | Registered: March 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Rob7181
posted Hide Post
Caps are 3.625" on each axis. The size of the caps is 1.188 on the original u-joints. The new 1350X joints are the same measurement. The problem lies with the body of the joint being larger on the new 1350's.

Rob Robertson

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Have you looked at a different brand u joint? A precision or a neapco to see if the bodies are different from the Spicer brand you now have?

DRR Pro
Picture of Rob7181
posted Hide Post
Going to see if Precision or Moog are different today after work.

Rob Robertson

DRR Pro
Picture of Rob7181
posted Hide Post
It appears the Moog #231 will work. The dimensions are the same, the caps are the same. The body is smaller and fits in the yoke and shaft. As this is a backup shaft, I am going to use them.

Rob Robertson