DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Getting a car over bumps in the track....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting a car over bumps in the track....
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
In the past couple months I have attended a few bigger $$ bracket races like many of you. While trying to run at tracks unknown to me I have found tracks with bumps/dips in lanes and need to make adjustments on the fly including lowering tire pressures, loosening shocks, etc to get over irregular track surfaces. I'm not alone in this challenge as I watch many of my competitors fighting for the "good lane" only to get kicked into the "bad lane" and dial up and pray. Any thoughts on how to better get over these situations appreciated.

All Pontiac. No Juice.

Posts: 34 | Location: Maple Grove, Mn | Registered: July 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^ I gotta ask….. What tracks are you referring too ???

The way I deal with this is to run the bad lane ... SERIOUSLY !!!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: markemark,

Posts: 2457 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Slow heavy car, I don't feel the bumps.

Posts: 1459 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
im with mark there have been races where i knew i would not have a choice and could be put in the worse lane ,so just get in it and stay in it

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1410 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
Need new tires? Agree with go for the chit lane...no losing lane choice if they dont want the lane your in.

Posts: 1751 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Hoosiers are new. Tracks are CFR and Byron. Left lane.

All Pontiac. No Juice.

Posts: 34 | Location: Maple Grove, Mn | Registered: July 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Eman, seems like I remember Cherokee having a pretty good dip in the right lane.

Posts: 519 | Location: Southeast | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aaron:
Hoosiers are new. Tracks are CFR and Byron. Left lane.

I ran both of those events with a Box door car.

I ran CFP left lane all 3 days because they do not have dial in boards and I race alone.

At Byron I started in the right, but when the majority moved to this lane in staging lanes and was being pulled out nose to tail I moved to the left lane.

My Hoosiers were at 181 runs after Byron event with .030 depth of tread hole left and I’m replacing with MT. I had sent my rear wheels to Neil + Parks for beadlocks on Monday after Byron and they will be back this Monday. They installed the beadlocks the same day they received them and shipped back the next day…. incredible!!!

Posts: 2457 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
If you ain't got a car that will go down a bad lane and be dialable you need to work on your car period .

Posts: 1238 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Dees:
Eman, seems like I remember Cherokee having a pretty good dip in the right lane.

Went down it tonight with no problems. You can hear the dragters chirp the tires. Bristol has some good ones too.

Posts: 1459 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I try to set my car up for the worst lane given any track lane or condition and will run it.

My car runs with MSD Grid programmable ignition that allows me to change the tune-up with a laptop.

The tire pressure, suspension settings never change in my car.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. I recognize I need to make some changes to my combo and was looking for some advice as shock adjustments aren't getting it done. Sounds like a Grid would be a good upgrade this Winter.

All Pontiac. No Juice.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aaron:
Thanks all. I recognize I need to make some changes to my combo and was looking for some advice as shock adjustments aren't getting it done.

Don’t give up on trying to make your car the best it can be. Definitely post here what you have and how it is set up and the problems you experience. Many will offer good advice.

Racers that run Analog ignition get down the same lane consistently that you are having trouble with.

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
One thing is try and time where the bumps are so you're not shifting at the bump.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I was told many years ago to find the worst track possible and set up the car to run there. You will going forward never find a bad track. My car never complains so I always go to the lane with the shortest line.

Posts: 6213 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post