DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Question about shock settings
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about shock settings
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
I don't post here much but had a question about shocks.
I have a ladder bar car that has always had QA1 single adjustable coil over shocks, they are the old ones that only had 12 clicks.
I run mine soft normally on click 2.
I just pulled the trigger on some new QA1 double adjustables. Was looking for suggestions on where I should start the settings for the rebound and the compression
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 4 | Location: nowhere | Registered: January 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I just replaced the 25 yr old Aldans in my 4-link with QA-1 DA and 10# lighter springs. Compression at #1 and Rebound at #4. Only made 4 runs this weekend but seemed Ok for a starting point.

Posts: 2434 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
A lot left out to come to a reason based suggestion for settings, if I threw something out there it would be a guess.

But I'll tell you a few things that'll help you enormously in your approach as you go, once they're installed.

Lets say hypothetically you have 16 clicks of rebound adjustment and 16 clicks of compression. With a monotube (QA1), if you had rebound all the way tight and compression all the way loose, you still have 16 clicks of compression to make rebound tighter, for the simple reason with a monotube design shock the compression adjuster also affects the rebound adjuster and vice versa, if you had compression all the way tight and rebound all the way loose, the rebound adjuster affects compression.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
The higher the technology monotube design, the less the adjusters affect each other.

Lowest to highest

QA1, Strange, Viking

Afco

Koni

Ohlins, Penske, Santuff

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post