DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Generator problem
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Generator problem
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
I have a 12 KW power tech generator in my motorhome and it just shut off yesterday for no reason it will restart if I go press the reset button on the generator but it will only run 8 or 10 seconds and goes right back off again I’ve checked the oil in the water I’m thinking some kind of sensor but I don’t know where to look next

Brad

Posts: 241 | Location: Georgia | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Don Higgins Crew Chief Pro Software
posted Hide Post
What error codes are you getting?

Crew Chief Pro 7.980. It is not an evolution in Crew Chief Software, it is a Revolution in Crew Chief Software
Drag Racing Software and Professional Weather Stations(309) 688-2990

Visit us on the web at http://www.crewchiefpro.com

Are you a Producer or a Parasite?

Author of the book, "But Who Will Save The Children."

Posts: 1380 | Location: Bartonville Illinois | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Is the fuel pump running? I had a similar issue last year when it would run for 10 seconds and shut off. I noticed the issue when it only primed for a few seconds and quit. Replaced the pump and now we're good to go. This is on a Onan.

Posts: 67 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: December 11, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I had a piece of dirt blocking float needle and seat on my gas Onan last year that did the same thing. If I tried to start it immediately after it quit it wouldn’t start but wait one minute or so then it fired and ran for short time then same thing again. I figured gas would bleed past the dirt enough to fill the bowl again but not fast enough to keep it running. I didn’t realize mine doesn’t have a filter but does now.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Most Powertechs have a control that will shut a unit down for a number of reasons...same as an Onan

Low oil pressure
High coolant temp
NO AC output

They usually also have a blinking light sequence that indicates why it shuts down.

If there is no blinking light fault code you have to check the basics

Does it have AC output for the short time it runs...If it does its something else.

Oil pressure sender, coolant temp sender...

Power tech has a website and lots of info available...

Operators manuals include troubleshooting block diagrams and that will help make a diagnosis...

I've worked on a number of PT's....usually 8-10-12 KW diesels.....and larger....

Loss of AC output is pretty common...and there are a number of reasons that can happen....some fairly easy to fix and some not easy....

Connect an AC voltmeter on the machines output as close to it as you can get.....maybe a connection box or at the transfer switch generator in set of wires.....

Start the machine and see if the AC voltage builds up quickly as it should......
If its a 120 volt machine that's what your looking for..

If its 120/240 that's what you should see on the 2 hot legs......and it should be there as fast as it starts and gets up to speed....

NO AC output voltage and the control will shut it down....

https://www.powertechgenerator...le-generator-manuals

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post