DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    lightened ring gear polished gear
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

lightened ring gear polished gear
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
Wondering if anyone here is running a lightened ring gear.If so ratio and weight saved and thoughts on effect to gear life.

Also anyone running one of the polished gear sets.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I ran a lightened gear once cause I got a deal on it. Couldn't tell squat on the time slip.

If you're racing Comp Eliminator then all that fancy stuff might come into play, bracket racing not so much. Good luck!

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5297 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cashflow:
I ran a lightened gear once cause I got a deal on it. Couldn't tell squat on the time slip.

If you're racing Comp Eliminator then all that fancy stuff might come into play, bracket racing not so much. Good luck!

Ya gotta drain all the gear lube into a bucket.

Put it back in when you're done racing.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Pretty sure you will never see a 3 or 4 pound reduction on a time slip. Now 12 of those you might see as about .05 if done all at once and running a 1/4 mile.

More interested if they live same as regular gear. I don;t have problem paying extra 100 to get gear cut if it does not shorten life of part. 4 lbs at 100 bucks is cheap compared to lots of things weight reduction wise.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SpeierRacingHeads
posted Hide Post
I had Scott Parks lighten one for me and REM coat it. Few pictures. Then I replaced all the bearings with coated, and the video is the result. Never run ceramic bearings in the 3rd member!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vtixXRyIVA

Posts: 1404 | Location: Hays Kansas | Registered: January 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Yea it is hard to beat Neil and Parks for quality work. Any idea how weight he removed. I know he gets mote off than ring gear company does.

DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
Compete waste on money if you are bracket racing

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1385 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
RacerVX54…KNOWS!

That said, the OP is clueless and not s bracket racer and never will be a bracket racer.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RacerVX54:
Compete waste on money if you are bracket racing

Naw, you're kidding!

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Yet folks are spending 30k for new engine so they can go faster in a bracket race.Some spend 10k plus for paint which never changed a et slip. Buying wheels that cost 4k a set.
My first race car was full tube chassis 66 nova with ladder bars,basic hopped up 454 and home built PG. Car was consistent as he11 and had almost none of the stuff high dollar cars do today. SO how much is really needed for a bracket car?

Only a waste of money if something the one paying for it does not want or get what he expected. Believe it or not you are still allowed to do as you please with your money and buy whatever you want for your racecar in America. How long that last is up for debate.

Never asked if good investment or even beneficial performance-wise. Asked if anyone had used them and their thoughts on longevity and any benefits. So far two have answered those questions.

DRR Pro
Picture of SpeierRacingHeads
posted Hide Post
It's all not worth it for a bracket car. I know guys that have thousand of runs on a LW and REM gear set. Most use LW Red Line shockproof. Scott's lightening work is 5lb savings.

But I will add with ceramic axel, ceramic front, fully loaded on the ground, the wind will make the car roll away. In certain classes it's a must. And not cost effective for most.

Posts: 1404 | Location: Hays Kansas | Registered: January 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
On any MW I’ve had you have to at least have the ring gear back cut to keep from hitting housing….

Posts: 1250 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
Just take a good country s h i t it will amount to the same and you will save $$$

Posts: 1234 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Laughing Hard

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpeierRacingHeads:
It's all not worth it for a bracket car. I know guys that have thousand of runs on a LW and REM gear set. Most use LW Red Line shockproof. Scott's lightening work is 5lb savings.

But I will add with ceramic axel, ceramic front, fully loaded on the ground, the wind will make the car roll away. In certain classes it's a must. And not cost effective for most.
\\

Scott Parks told me his tow hooks soring that retracts strap has maved his car on flat ground.

While I agree that the ceramic 3rd member bearings are very costly. The front wheeels are onl cpl hundred bucks and 3 guys swear they are worth .02.IMO cheap for ,02 wnd why I have a set.

I don't think 10 or 15 k in paint makes any sense for a bracket car but guys do it. According to lots here, the new pistons I have ordered are not worth it for a car that is mainly intended for the bracket, MY MONEY AND WORTH IT PART IS SOULY AS I SEE IT.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Then don’t ask for opinions! No one cares what you do with your pile of shyt.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of DLR
posted Hide Post
Still gotta let go, maybe a ceramic TB button would be quicker....lol

Posts: 469 | Location: BENTON HARBOR, MI | Registered: August 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLR:
Still gotta let go, maybe a ceramic TB button would be quicker....lol

Hey, you mighy be on to something there. Now all you have to do is figure out how to make it work.LOL

Then if you can get Mr. king of shyt to knock it you can sell the hell out of them.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Broke dyck and fyi, I’m the only regular poster here who’s car has it all as it should, it was a super stock car, built by the best, specifically to set performance records and it did. NahNahTounge

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Thanks for replys, especially to the guys who have experience with gears that have been lightened or REM polished treatment. To those who posted opinions,your input si welcomed to for most of you.

A sepcial thank you to everyone who did not repost Mr Shyt's crap. Still think this site needs a block button, but then the drama queens couldn;t get their tiny rocks off.