DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    lightened ring gear polished gear
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

lightened ring gear polished gear
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of 434 olds
posted Hide Post
The polishing of the gears is good for smoothing over flaws in the gears. lightening of the ring gear will always give you a gain in less rotational weight.

Worlds Quickest And Fastest 71 Cutlass On The Planet Earth

Posts: 536 | Location: Oak ridge, N.J | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Leaning more towards just the REM polishing. Gear life and less drag. Have been told not much weight of higher gears like 3.90 thru 4.30 suff. Lower gears have thicker ring gear and allow more to be removed.

Agree with 434 olds on rotating mass reduction is always good. Just with such short radius and close to the center it is not as effective as other places like tire weight would.

Might be getting the micro blue bearing for cpl places in rear end assembly and work towards complete assembly being micro blue bearing with lot less drag. I know no need or reason for in bracket car which by the other state it that is not a race car where going fast is part of the fun.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I do not think polishing will hurt them but certainly doubt it will give any noticeable benefits at all and probably not worth the money. The gears will more or less polish themselves to each other fairly quickly so I think it is a waste of time and money.

Even if you get a set that is polished they will still have to get mating surfaces of the gears worn to each other.

Now as for lightening the gear yes it could help right up until it starts to make it weaker. But those gains are once again so small you could probably never tell but if it is too light (Weak) it will get ugly. Same with a crankshaft, rods, pistons etc. The question is how light is too much and when will it break? Good design would make the parts as light as possible and still have enough strength where it is needed.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4003 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
For lightening components like crank, rods and pistons from my limited experience it seems like the lighter assemblies sure seem to rap faster but not sure of any improvements on the track or even dyno. That is one thing hard to compare apples to apples but we do know there is a point where making it lighter makes it weaker. Especially at higher RPM the weight becomes more critical. Too heavy or too light.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

Posts: 4003 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
my gear gets polished from running lol

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1394 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
my gear gets polished from running lol

clapping

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
FWIW, there is ET and Longivity in a professionally built, low drag unit. Yes, its 1000-2000 dollars MORE than an out of the box unit, but in my opinion, it was worth it.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 705 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
329L,

I think with micro blue bearins it will be lot less.While they are not ceramic bearing they are close for quite a bit less. The rem polish only runs abot 175 to 200 at Neil and Paeks. I have not added all bearing yet. Might get surprised on pinion bearing/

Betting I will be using more caution when swapping gears and pressing bearing off pinion gear.LOL

Will be hard to convince me that rear end assembly that spins 10 or 12 rounds with one pull is not worth some et. Now the lightening of cpl pounds yea never see it alone but it all adds up.

Again et does not matter in bracket racing and that is why some guys are spending 30k on engines.LOL

Posts: 4184 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Al Alguire:
Yes we do....See link for demo Smile

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/Pg2n06R79a4

Way too much backlash clearance.

That said, I got a "deburred and detailed" gear set once, and there was a HUGE difference in rotational / contact drag. FWIW

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1645 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpeierRacingHeads:
I had Scott Parks lighten one for me and REM coat it. Few pictures. Then I replaced all the bearings with coated, and the video is the result. Never run ceramic bearings in the 3rd member!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vtixXRyIVA

I've never seen a properly set up ceramic third member bearing fail. Conversely I have seen multiple improperly installed ceramic thirdmember bearings fail.

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....
6.86 @ 198 trying for more......

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link

Posts: 1084 | Location: Nova Siri, Italy | Registered: June 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Mine are lightened, with crap tons of runs, it's an easy small gain that's fairly cheap in comparison. So to me it's worth while.

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link

Posts: 1084 | Location: Nova Siri, Italy | Registered: June 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will Harrison:
Mine are lightened, with crap tons of runs, it's an easy small gain that's fairly cheap in comparison. So to me it's worth while.

You said you have never seen properly set up ceramic bearings fail. What is properly set up for them? Anything different in setting up over standard bearings?

What is the gain? What is the cost?

I do think that those small gains could add up to a faster and more consistent car same as losing weight or better aerodynamics. Also if they are lightened properly it will not lose much if any strength. Question here is how much and is it worth it?

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Curly,

Slight correction to your statement. Is it worth to you. Some things are worth lot more to one than the other.
I know that is foreign concept to some here, but not everyone has to do things one way. Old saying more than one way to skin a cat. Same result in the end most of the time.

DRR Pro
Picture of SpeierRacingHeads
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've never seen a properly set up ceramic third member bearing fail. Conversely I have seen multiple improperly installed ceramic thirdmember bearings fail.

I have seen properly set up's fail in heavy Comp and Super Stock cars. Like shattered.

Posts: 1405 | Location: Hays Kansas | Registered: January 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goob:
quote:
Yes we do....See link for demo Smile

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/Pg2n06R79a4

Way too much backlash clearance.

That said, I got a "deburred and detailed" gear set once, and there was a HUGE difference in rotational / contact drag. FWIW

Or not if you know you know.. Imagine most here cannot even identify the center section

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 989 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I have seen properly set up's fail in heavy Comp and Super Stock cars. Like shattered.

Ditto...Seen MANY a properly set up ceramic pinion bearing fail. I know of a very large manufacture of manual transmissions who will not use ceramics at all anymore after so many failures. Seems to be a quality issue with some of the off shore materials.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 989 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Ditto...Seen MANY a properly set up ceramic pinion bearing fail. I know of a very large manufacture of manual transmissions who will not use ceramics at all anymore after so many failures. Seems to be a quality issue with some of the off shore materials.

For the price of the Micro Blue stuff, every car should have them. IMO, they are simply incredible!

Posts: 1405 | Location: Hays Kansas | Registered: January 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
For the price of the Micro Blue stuff, every car should have them. IMO, they are simply incredible!

I agree, and the best part is they dont shatter....

I see you used Scott on your stuff. Great guy very knowledgeable especially for a guy in Burlingame Big Grin

Marcus Tullius Cicero

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
quote:
Originally posted by Will Harrison:

You said you have never seen properly set up ceramic bearings fail. What is properly set up for them? Anything different in setting up over standard bearings?

What is the gain? What is the cost?

I do think that those small gains could add up to a faster and more consistent car same as losing weight or better aerodynamics. Also if they are lightened properly it will not lose much if any strength. Question here is how much and is it worth it?
every failed one I've seen, the bearing races were in the housing crooked or nor all the way down in the bore because it was shearing aluminum off and it got trapped underneath the race.

Just FYI, I have nothing to do with ceramic bearing sales anymore. I just don't have the time anymore.

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link