DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Hard tail dragster tire recommendation
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hard tail dragster tire recommendation
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted
Okay, here's some fodder for today. I have a friend who got his old hard tail car running again. This is an old Brogie dragster, 206 inch wheelbase and it has a very narrow rear end.

The original tire was 32x14x15 and I'm not sure he can get a much bigger tire on it. The car originally had a 355 inch small block but now has a new late model hemi, 426 cubes with one dominator. Engine makes approximately 710 horsepower and has a powerglide transmission.

I am taking the wheels to Phoenix for the National event in a few weeks and will have new tires put on it there. What's the general consensus for a tire recommendation?

Okay.......Go!!

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5302 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
M/T 3074

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cashflow:
Okay, here's some fodder for today. I have a friend who got his old hard tail car running again. This is an old Brogie dragster, 206 inch wheelbase and it has a very narrow rear end.

The original tire was 32x14x15 and I'm not sure he can get a much bigger tire on it. The car originally had a 355 inch small block but now has a new late model hemi, 426 cubes with one dominator. Engine makes approximately 710 horsepower and has a powerglide transmission.

I am taking the wheels to Phoenix for the National event in a few weeks and will have new tires put on it there. What's the general consensus for a tire recommendation?

Okay.......Go!!

First ,,, Don't over tire a lower HP hardtail, it's the worst thing you can do!

How much does it weigh?

Posts: 2149 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
About 1500 pounds, it used to be right on the money with the small block but he thinks it's a hundred or so pounds heavier now.

Posts: 5302 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
M/t 3084s a little bigger than what's on it but in my opinion the best hardtail tire out there.

Jeff McClure

Posts: 240 | Location: Texas | Registered: December 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I was very happy with the 3074 when I had small block. Ran the 3080 last with my 565

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 468 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I run the 3074s now,was using the 3084s and thought the smaller tire may help my consistency in 60'. Think the car was better overall with the larger tire.

Jason Compton

Posts: 34 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I have ran several different Hoosier tires on my altered and then went to the 3074 MT tire and it was much better.
Now I run the 3074 tire on my new hard tail front engine dragster and it is not working as well as I think it should. I believe the 3074S stiff sidewall may be a better choice for the hard tail. But I have not tried it yet so can not say for sure.

I will say this a 14 x 32 tire is more than enough tire for it and would not go any bigger.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4001 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
m/t 30751 is what I ran on a small block hard tail car 220 inch wheel base. ran 5.1?'s always worked well it is a 14.5x32x15 tire

Posts: 1 | Location: CAVE SPRINGS,AR | Registered: August 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I run a 414 sbc in a 235" red and ran the Hoosier 33x13-15 with a 4:30 gear and it has been very consistent. It was a newer tire and I like the narrow but tall tire with the small block.

Posts: 11 | Location: Central Oregon | Registered: August 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:
M/T 3074

I remember when i talked to Frank.. LOL Sore subject. Tire shake.. *ss chewing was an understatement. I have to call the ole boy, make sure he's still kicken lol..

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TD3550:
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:
M/T 3074

I remember when i talked to Frank.. LOL Sore subject. Tire shake.. *ss chewing was an understatement. I have to call the ole boy, make sure he's still kicken lol..

What did he say about it?

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4001 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Frank is not M/T fan by any means. LOL Had similar conversation.

Thing to remember is Frank and Scotts deal is little different then ours. Heads up,9200 stage and balls to the wall. Not saying his info is bad by any means. Best source there is for FED info as well as most any dragsters and seems pretty good on roadsters too. Just their main focus is Jr. fuel or comp.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
quote:
Originally posted by Cashflow:

Okay.......Go!!

First ,,, Don't over tire a lower HP hardtail, it's the worst thing you can do!

How much does it weigh?

Words of wisdom!!!!

Dykes & Strippers Custom Wiring
Auto Meter Authorized Dealer
CleanYourTrailer.com
Horse Power Sales
USADragRacingChat.com
Fab Shop
Race Flow Development

245" Harry Clack
399 inches of Horse Power Sales Power
1.031, 2.978, 4.640 at 147.47

Posts: 492 | Location: Lebanon, OH | Registered: March 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
So Im going to be the odd ball...I run the M/T 33x10.5Wx15 and by far the best tire I have had on it and I've tested quite a few.

33x16's, 33x17's, 33x15, 33x15 SS...Hoosier, M/T, and the Goodyear and all of them shook. I even sprayed them all to "simulate" more power and they shook. I have never shaken a 10.5 tire...ever.

247" hardtail with slips up front....extremely narrow rear end car that's 1600lb with me in it.

We run 4.60's on motor with 1.02-1.04 60' and have been high 4.20's with a .985 60'!

CleanYourTrailer.com
Horse Power Sales
USADragRacingChat.com
Fab Shop
Race Flow Development

245" Harry Clack

Posts: 492 | Location: Lebanon, OH | Registered: March 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Also...when I got this car (ex V-6 Comp Car), Harry Clack (builder) told me the best tire for this car, for what I was doing with it was the Hoosier 33x14.5L... I have yet to try it though

CleanYourTrailer.com
Horse Power Sales
USADragRacingChat.com
Fab Shop
Race Flow Development

245" Harry Clack

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Car owner made the decision so if it doesn't work it's on him. We got him the 33x15x15 DO-5 compound Hoosier tires and new Hoosier front tires. I will deliver them to him tomorrow. He didn't want to have to keep up with airing up the Mickeys.

Now we'll see when he gets it running how things work out. Thanks for the input guys!!

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
The air up Mickeys may have been true in past. My new tires now year old and still new have held same pressure for months.May loose half pound or so.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Quick Dawg
posted Hide Post
If it is a hard tail go with a S tire. Hard tails like the stiff sidewall. Either a 3074S or the 30771 will work just great.

Posts: 166 | Location: Salt Lake City | Registered: January 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post