DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Diesels and Cold Weather
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Diesels and Cold Weather
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of TheBlueTruck
posted Hide Post
Yessir it's running

Regan Wilson Super Street 469C

Posts: 297 | Location: Tyler Texas | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
sweet

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1415 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Now if we can just thaw out so we can get ready for Belle Rose next week. Forecast is for 70* daytime temps but slight chance of rain Saturday night and Sunday morning but I think that is normal for down there

Posts: 2431 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Very creative with that pad. That a 450 W pad?
See that jack now is a "Multi Purpose piece of Equiptment. good job....

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
just thaw out so we can get ready for Belle Rose next week. Forecast is for 70* daytime temps but slight chance of rain Saturday night and Sunday morning but I think that is normal for down there

lol just a wish at this point

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1415 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of TheBlueTruck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TD3550:
Very creative with that pad. That a 450 W pad?
See that jack now is a "Multi Purpose piece of Equiptment. good job....

Just a household heating pad. The last time I used it was on my back.

Regan Wilson Super Street 469C

Posts: 297 | Location: Tyler Texas | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
I'm wondering if my tractor will start tomorrow. Need to move some firewood. I don't think there is a block heater on it. Guess we will see. I don't count on cab heat for the duration of the job.

Bucky, mine is hard start in the 20-30’s so I use the propane torch or map gas torch in the air cleaner lid. Works great.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4503 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stk 758 BP!:
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
I'm wondering if my tractor will start tomorrow. Need to move some firewood. I don't think there is a block heater on it. Guess we will see. I don't count on cab heat for the duration of the job.

Bucky, mine is hard start in the 20-30’s so I use the propane torch or map gas torch in the air cleaner lid. Works great.

Wow! I learn something every day!

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6408 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Rick!
posted Hide Post

Posts: 81 | Location: behind this screen | Registered: July 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Always used Stanadyne and never had any water, gel, freeze up or injectors go bad in either a GM or Dodge diesel. I'm not sure if it's true but i thought Stanadyne was the only additive GM approved for diesel engine.

Posts: 1625 | Location: UsA | Registered: October 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FootbrakeJim:
Our big problem is the rolling power blackouts, we have been averaging 20 minutes on, and 40 off for the past 36 hours,

40 minutes off!! I wish..
Mine went off for the first roll on Sunday night, didn't come on till 10:00 last night..
Thankful for a fireplace, friend who cuts trees (for the firewood) and a race track generator..

Oh, and to sort of stay on subject. When I went to town to get supplies to repair a busted water pipe in the shop. My truck started fine...lol

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3309 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
Rusty, you were right on the safety interlock. My truck would not start remotely, because I had the hood open a crack for the block heater cord. Started fine with key, closed hood and it started with the remote. That was with outside temp at 8* and the block heater did manage to keep the coolant temp at 72*
My brother in-law did not put any additive in his tank, his fuel was gelled up on the sub-zero day, truck would not start. We could not find any type of thawing additive anywhere around here, put some space heaters under his truck, added 16 Oz of the Power Service Winterizer, stirred it up like TD3550 mentioned, and eventually got it going. I can second what Steve and others said, I am a believer now, the P.S. Anti-Gel supplement works. Thanks everyone for the good tips and advice. Wink
(Looking forward to "normal" weather in the mid-60's here next week) Smile

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1039 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Jim, when the big ones jell up severely and have to be towed to the shop.They will normally put a torpedo heater on each tank after they remove the side ferrings.. Thins the fuel Right out. Then treat each tank with additive. Purge the fuel system and new filters. I have had to add 911 straight to the fuel filters to thaw the injector feed lines that were jelled. Stuff thins it quick.

I have to laugh what i did one time. Lost the big stir spoon. Now what.. Ahhh. Drop an air line from the service truck air compressor into the tanks. Low pressure... That surely mixed it up.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TD3550,

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
So will filters eventually un gel? I gotta think that everything will eventually. My motorhome sits untreated all winter and isn't gelled in the spring.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6408 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TD3550:
Jim, when the big ones jell up severely and have to be towed to the shop. They will normally put a torpedo heater on each tank after they remove the side ferrings.. Thins the fuel Right out.
I bet it does! Big Grin

I have to laugh what i did one time. Lost the big stir spoon. Now what.. Ahhh. Drop an air line from the service truck air compressor into the tanks. Low pressure... That surely mixed it up.
That probably made some strange noises too, ha. My in-law is a construction foreman on large commercial buildings. I found a piece of rebar in the bed of his truck that helped, and he had a section of hose that worked even better. Use what you got, right? Wink

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1039 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Yes they thin back out for the majority of them.
The one year i fired up the dually. Sits in a heated garage. It was banging away. 99% of the time i only run it on the rear tank. Prior to parking it, I switched to the front tank. I had forgot to treat the front tank with Biocide. Pulled the filters, Black Jell mold. Ya me. Dummy.

A lot of the coaches/pushers that sit on the lot
treat the fuel with Biocide to prevent mold growth in the fuel. Preventive Maint.