Find
Notify
Tools

Fuel Tank Size?
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of David Gerard
posted
We are moving from a 548ci nitrous gasoline engine that runs 6.6 seconds to a same sized alcohol ProCharger motor that we will be running in the high 6.3 to low 6.4 second range.

Currently, we have a 3+ gallon fuel tank in the car and plan on refilling to the top after each run.

Is this going to be a big enough tank?

Posts: 413 | Location: Fullerton, CA | Registered: June 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
yes

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1391 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sr4440
posted Hide Post
Are you towing to the line and towing back? if yes, then you are GTG, but if you are driving to the lanes and back, you won't make it.

Joe

Without data, you’re just another guy with an opinion.

Posts: 1297 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
I guess you didn't like my response since you deleted it...... Roll Eyes

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
i think mine is 3.5 ,i tow.danny nelson built the car and all of them have the same tank.he drives to lane at each track.i often wondered if i could do that. mine burns a lot of fuel at idle.lol i made an assumption the op was towing.i bun a littlr over 2 gals

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1391 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of David Gerard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by "The Bender":
I guess you didn't like my response since you deleted it...... Roll Eyes

I don't think I can delete your post?

In anyevent, please repost!

Posts: 413 | Location: Fullerton, CA | Registered: June 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Sorry, didn't realize you have two threads on the same subject! Didn't think of that

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Happens every time guys talk size. Somebody gets butt hurt. Laughing Hard

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4175 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
I know that even with just MFI that if I drive up and back I run close with 3 gallon tank.Especially if get caught behind some street squirrel that idels down return road. Driving up and back with fuel shut off half or little more closed helps and adds heat.

Posts: 4175 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of David Gerard
posted Hide Post
Thanks, everyone.

We decided to bite the bullet and build a 5 gallon tank, as we couldn't find any tanks on the internet that would fit in our Don Davis dragster.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Front or rear tank? I have a 3-4 gallon custom made steel tank that came out of an altered. Front mount. Nice tank. Anodized black.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Dave Koehler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Gerard:
Thanks, everyone.

We decided to bite the bullet and build a 5 gallon tank, as we couldn't find any tanks on the internet that would fit in our Don Davis dragster.

Build that tank as big as possible for the given space.

Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection - http://www.koehlerinjection.com
Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Nitrous Master Software - Balancing
99% of fuel injection problems are electric.

Posts: 351 | Location: Urbana, IL 61802 | Registered: December 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Since building tank. If it is in front agree beggerst that will fit. If need extra weight its as easy as add more fuel than need.. If not run eough to do job abd keep line covered. JMO