Find
Notify
Tools

Bubble balance
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Rob7181
posted Hide Post
Either take them to a motorcycle shop or buy a harbor fright motorcycle balancer and do it yourself.

Rob Robertson

Posts: 961 | Location: Welcome, MD | Registered: December 06, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
So how do you guys bubble balance front dragster wheels? I knocked the bearings out of mine but they don't seem to fit correctly. They touch the tapered part of the hf bubble balancer. Do I need to machine a conversion for the top for it to sit on? I'm a newb at this. Cycle shop said the wheels balanced fine, but didn't balance them after mounting the tires. They shook. Go figure.
i usually pull the seal and spin it on the spindle.almost always a 1/4 once or so direct opposite the stem will do it

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1390 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Looking to get a bubble balancer,

So is the HF balancer still the one everyone likes? I despise HF but will go in and get one if that's the best bang for the buck.

Has anyone ever checked the balance of there slicks after making a few passes to see if they are still balanced?

Posts: 2399 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
the key to any of those is a zero bubble in the beginning.some have adjustable feet,the hf ones you can zero the bubble with the 3 screws on top.and yes they will duplicate if done in that manner

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1390 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I have the hf and it zero's fine. But even with the bearings out, I don't think it is sitting like it should. But maybe it is. It sits on the tapered part barely. Almost or maybe does touch the top by the bubble a little. Seems like if you tilt it this way and that, it changes where it is telling you is heavy. Pretty sure I am doing it wrong, but not sure how.

UPDATE: Well, the one I was trying to balance was pretty dead on. The other side made more sense when I hit it on the bubble balancer. I backed up my results with checking them on the car and the two agreed.

Something I noticed is how much free'er the wheel spun when I removed the grease from the bearing. Yes the seal also gave resistance. But the grease much more.
I will start another thread so as to not grease this one up.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bucky,

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6353 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
You can get these really cheap sometimes. They work fine.
https://www.harborfreight.com/...-balancer-39741.html

--------------------
Bob Payton
S/P, T/D, S/C, TOP
309Z, 393, 3093, 8X93

www.apdracing.com
www.diamondracecars.com
www.callies.com

Posts: 1987 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
So I will ask again, Has anyone ever checked the balance of there slicks after making a few passes to see if they are still balanced? Just curious

Posts: 2399 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
So I will ask again, Has anyone ever checked the balance of there slicks after making a few passes to see if they are still balanced? Just curious

Just so you aren't ignored...lol

No.

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3303 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
A quick search found this..

motorcycle wheel balancer

I use one similar for my rear tires. I seem to be the go to guy around here for balancing slicks..lol

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3303 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
HF Balancer

Dave

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:

I have thrown them on the balancer after racing them a while. Sometimes they're right on the money, sometimes they aren't. If they are close it's good enough. I run 10.5W's and go 100mph and the only time I've really felt anything was in the burnout. I had 1 tire moving on the rim and it went far enough that it really shook during the burnout, didn't feel it during a pass. I've run slicks without balancing and didn't have any vibration.
Just for grins throw a wheel on the balancer with no tire and see how it looks. I've had wheels that were out quite a bit.

Posts: 1451 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
When I mount my tires I rotate the tire around the wheel on the balancer to get it to the most neutral spot before setting the heads so I don’t use as much weight for actual balancing.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post