Find
Notify
Tools

Bubble balance
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of Doug
posted
For those that use a bubble balancer, do you balance upside down? Meaning, I have 15" wide wheels, 4.5" backspace, very difficult to balance with the dish up, I've seen it done both ways i think, and was wondering which is better?

Posts: 19 | Location: Fredonia | Registered: April 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 57 Vette
posted Hide Post
Doug,
Always bubble balance with the deep dish of the wheel in the down position on the balancer for the best results.

IHRA ACDELCO Canadian Nationals
Top/et Iron man champion Wink
Don Davis 57 Corvette Super Gas roadster Cool
SDPC 582 Head Hunter on Alcohol

Posts: 268 | Location: Toronto Ont/Surprise AZ | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Dave Koehler
posted Hide Post
Dish down.
I had to customize my on/off lever to accomplish this.

Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection - http://www.koehlerinjection.com
Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Nitrous Master Software - Balancing
99% of fuel injection problems are electric.

Posts: 351 | Location: Urbana, IL 61802 | Registered: December 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
Thanks for confirming, I just did my new set tonight with the dish down, takes some patience, but it seems good

Posts: 19 | Location: Fredonia | Registered: April 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
What kind of balancers do ya'll use? Are the cheap HF ones any good? I have an ancient one that the base flairs out at the bottom. Wheels hit the flair if turned deep dish side down.

Posts: 28 | Location: USA | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
I wanted a good American made balancer, but found they are all basically the same. I bought mine from Amazon. I drilled and tapped the bubble adjuster holes for 6-32 since the china wood screws that were in it sucked. I have never had a vibrating tire using this $30 balancer.

Posts: 1364 | Location: Lansing,Mi | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I use an old bear brand bubble balancer I got from my dad. This thing is a leftover from his old sevice station he owned in the 1970's. It's close to 50years old and still is the best balancer I have ever used on my slicks.

Posts: 493 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Dave Koehler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SuperProRacer:
What kind of balancers do ya'll use? Are the cheap HF ones any good? I have an ancient one that the base flairs out at the bottom. Wheels hit the flair if turned deep dish side down.

Had the same issue with my 16" wide wheels.
I carved out an aluminum donut to raise the wheel.
Worked fine.

Posts: 351 | Location: Urbana, IL 61802 | Registered: December 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
I use an old snap on vertical balancer. I had to extend the shaft and use a jack stand, but it works great.

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3309 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
quote:

Mine is like that but the base is just a plastic triangle so I I just notched the area on the corners where the wheel hits it.

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 628 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Tom H
posted Hide Post
I have used the HF balancer for a few years now, deep side down. It is small enough to keep in the trailer. You could be surprised how many people need one at the track. Mine has balanced several wheels.

Posts: 62 | Location: wisc | Registered: January 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Pretty sure mine is exactly like this one. I'm a little hesitant to chop notches in it. I'd really hate to ruin it. Might try one from HF since I just got a 25% off coupon for Monday(Labor day).

Posts: 28 | Location: USA | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
The guys in the Mickey Thompson trailer at the last race I was at were using a H/F balancer, some one I have, we will see how it worked tonight

DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
I may have to stop by HF on my way home tonight.
Bought some new Mickey's a couple weeks ago. Had them mounted last weekend at my local Discount Tire, and specified bubble balancing. They charged me for mounting and "lifetime balancing", but when I put them in my truck I noticed the same old glued-on, duct-taped lead weights on my wheels. I went back in, asked the guy if they were really identical balance to my old tires, Big Grin (yeah, right), or they just forgot to balance them. He told me they didn't have the right adapter, so they were not able to balance them. I thanked him for telling me that up front... Roll Eyes

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1035 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
I had a friend that bought new tires at a race, and were bubble balanced at the tire trailer. Shook horribly.

Took them back for rebalance, still shook horribly.

Then someone noticed there was a big industrial fan blowing in the work area due to the heat. Shut it off and rebalanced; then they were good! Smile

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3158 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Pretty sure mine is exactly like this one. I'm a little hesitant to chop notches in it. I'd really hate to ruin it. Might try one from HF since I just got a 25% off coupon for Monday(Labor day).

I cant tell if thats metal or plastic from the pic, mine looks just like that but was plastic. I just drilled a 3" hole with a hole saw on each corner at the spot where the rim touched. Yes its a little hacked up but I paid $30 bucks for it and only purchased it to balance slicks so I wasn't really concerned about ruining it!

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 628 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Dave Koehler
posted Hide Post
quote:

That is the same one I have.
A donut and a handle customize fixes it right up.

DRR Trophy
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
Just an update on this, after using the H/F balancer, each tire took 3 1/2 oz of weight, raced this weekend, put 20 passes on them and they were smooth as glass, probably the smoothest I've ever had, I was pleasantly surprised to say the least

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Hotrod Corvette
posted Hide Post
quote:

They get a couple hundred bucks for those on Ebay

Burt

I'm So Proud To Be An American And Not A Democrat...

Posts: 1219 | Location: Clinton Township, MI | Registered: September 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
So how do you guys bubble balance front dragster wheels? I knocked the bearings out of mine but they don't seem to fit correctly. They touch the tapered part of the hf bubble balancer. Do I need to machine a conversion for the top for it to sit on? I'm a newb at this. Cycle shop said the wheels balanced fine, but didn't balance them after mounting the tires. They shook. Go figure.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6405 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post