DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Powerglide reverse drag
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Powerglide reverse drag
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
First pass yesterday, reverse was dragging on the way back to the pits. My wife had described this once before but she thought it was brakes dragging.

The only reason I’m certain it’s reverse is this. I felt a very slight resistance every time I went to neutral on the return road. As I slowed to go into my pit I cleared it out a little and the resistance increased, so I gave it a good hard throttle whack and the car stopped (from about 2 mph). It’s very intermittent and I didn’t notice it on the warmup block or ever again throughout the day.

I also think I am getting an inconsistent brake release.

I could “see the bulb” excellent yesterday and my lights were moving ~.030. I overlaid a couple suspect runs from a prior race and if I line up the launch input channel, the erpm rise is offset by about .030.

I think it’s entirely possible that I just suck at the tree but the drag on the return road is definetely a problem, just not sure how serious or what to do about it.

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
there are many things that could be the issue of course.is this a regular brake or pro brake.sometimes the case can wear and cause the steels to hang

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1415 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
BJ how does reverse drag driving back to the pits? Maybe I missed something? My guess is maybe the planetaries. Check the rear gears out.

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Footloose:
BJ how does reverse drag driving back to the pits? Maybe I missed something? My guess is maybe the planetaries. Check the rear gears out.

Revving the engine in neutral coasting causes the car to decelerate.

Reverse dragging is the only plausible scenario I can come up with. I suppose 1st and 2nd could both be trying to engage but that seems pretty unlikely

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusty:
there are many things that could be the issue of course.is this a regular brake or pro brake.sometimes the case can wear and cause the steels to hang

Pro brake. Stock trans case.

I don’t know much about the trans. I’ve had it apart but I know just enough about glides to be dangerous.

I have Reid case here that I’d like to swap everything over to but wasn’t sure the likelihood that the “sticking reverse” problem is in the valve body on my current trans.

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
i had a bad valve body once that would send pressure to reverse once in high gear .dont think it can do that on a ro brake.9 my key board is jacked and i cant use all my letters,lol especially just to the right of the o.lease bear with me.

1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1415 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
What does the case look like where the steels ride? If the case is beat up they could be hanging up on the indentations. The fix for that is a new case or case savers

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1468 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
i am assuming you have checked simple stuff like linkage and ect

1.036, 6.16@ 224

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I will double check the linkage and then disassemble. Thinking about running the BG 10k this weekend so hopefully I don’t get in too deep.

I have enough parts to assemble the Reid case as a second trans but it has a non-pro brake valve body that I’m a little leary of.

DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
BJ I got what your saying now. Sounds like a Planetary. I had one do that yrs ago and it was like yours. How much HP and are the planetary gears straight cut or stock?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Footloose,

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Footloose:
BJ I got what your saying now. Sounds like a Planetary. I had one do that yrs ago and it was like yours. How much HP and are the planetary gears straight cut or stock?

1.69 straight cut. Went ~100 passes behind 1800 hp before chipping a tooth. New gears installed and has ever since (about 40 passes) been behind 750-800 hp.

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
when my valve body did that there was an obvious smell of clutches smoking.

1.036, 6.16@ 224