DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    race operation weight
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

race operation weight
 Login/Join

<DOTracer>
posted
Curious to see who here have taken the time to weigh your truck, trailer and all the individual contents in the trailer?

Had a handling issue with a new truck towing so I decided to get down to basics and weigh everything including several trips to the CAT scales, loaded, unloaded, etc. I also weighed every thing that was inside the trailer. I was quite surprised how quickly you can jamb a bunch of heavy stuff in a trailer and not really give it much thought.

Ultimately the issue I had with handling came down to faulty OEM tires. Swapped to a different set of factory wheels & tires and the issue was gone.

But in the end I got alot of good data on hand inlcuding accurate tongue weight, etc.

So here's my list:

- truck, 7480 lbs
- trailer empty 6820 lbs
- golf cart 867 lbs
- generator 54 lbs (Honda EU2000) old one 8500 watt was 300 lbs
- 10 gallons race fuel 67 lbs
- tie downs 28 lbs
- tire inflator 12 lbs
- extension cords & air hose 25 lbs
- cones 12 lbs
- small spare parts bag 12 lbs
- hand tools 50 lbs
- 2.5 gallon gas (generator) 18 lbs
- battery charger 23 lbs
- small jack stand pair 14 lbs
- wheel chocks 17 lbs
- fan 27 lbs
- trailer aid 7 lbs
- floor jack 42 lbs
- door hanger brkts 3.5 lbs
- 1/2" battery impact 12.5 lbs
- EZ Up shelter 43 lbs

I'm sure there are some other things I forgot, but this give you an idea of how quickly weight can add up. I challenge every one to do the same and see how much your really hauling around.

In the process of going to the CAT scales I found the trailer technically over weight. 11,500 lbs approx on a 10k GVW rated 28' box trailer. Now you could argue with a DOT cop it was under 10K on the axles if you take the tongue weight out of the picture, but that conversation will likely go his way. The issue with mine being over weight was the trailer empty was 6820 lbs which hurt it's payload capacity. Trailer had two roof A/C units, inside fully lined with 3/8" plywood under the inside skin. Hauling the golf cart up front along with the heavy 8500 watt generator also made for a very nose heavy trailer...1750 lbs of tongue weight which didn't affect the truck but that's at the upper limit of what a tag truck hitch is rated for (properly set up W/D hitch). I removed the generator as I didn't use the A/C units which dropped the tongue weight down to 1550 lbs.

Anyhow, I decided it was time to upgrade to a new trailer as that was my first enclosed, purchased from a friend used and it was a good ay to learn what I wanted and didn't want in the next trailer.

I opted to custom order a new 28' aluminum trailer that is 5090 lbs empty, a savings of 1730 lbs alone, then letting the big generator go with the trailer saves another 300 lbs. If I have all the contents in mind correctly, the trailer now should be a little over 9200 lbs loaded, on a 12k GVW rating.

So, again, I urge everyone here to take some time this off season and weigh everything just to see where you stand.

Merry Christmas everyone!
Todd G

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <DOTracer>,

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I use a open trailer with a large box on the front. The tow vehicle is a 1998 c1500 ext can 2wd. Trailer and truck unloaded weigh 7000pounds according to the scales at county landfill. Car is 2350 then add a four wheeler in bed of truck ,tools and floor Jack spare tire and gas for car an four wheeler can get up there in a hurry. Trailer has two 3500lbs axles with brakes.

Posts: 487 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DOTracer:

I opted to custom order a new 28' aluminum trailer that is 5090 lbs empty, a savings of 1730 lbs alone,

Does this new one have an aluminum floor?

Posts: 2447 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<DOTracer>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:

I opted to custom order a new 28' aluminum trailer that is 5090 lbs empty, a savings of 1730 lbs alone,

Yes

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Its usually a non issue but I believe there was a topic on here, about 2 months ago about being over a 10K capacity for the trailer and some DOT laws, from what I recall it didn't make a diffrence if you were under the 10K, but if the trailer was "capable" of being over 10K. That being said every tri-axle trailer out there is illegal if they want to enforce this law.

Posts: 604 | Location: nw ohio | Registered: November 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yes

Sounds Nice! Perhaps post some pics of it when you can.

My 24’ enclosed all aluminum only weighs 3100# empty but does not have a finished interior. I can hose it out with water and not damage anything. Weighs under 7k loaded and easy to tow with a 1500.

Posts: 2447 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<DOTracer>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by HR3377:
Its usually a non issue but I believe there was a topic on here, about 2 months ago about being over a 10K capacity for the trailer and some DOT laws, from what I recall it didn't make a diffrence if you were under the 10K, but if the trailer was "capable" of being over 10K. That being said every tri-axle trailer out there is illegal if they want to enforce this law.

My main reason for the post wasn’t so much anything DOT related, rather how each of us as racers can easily overload a trailer by not giving the contents weight much thought. I know I carry a lot less “stuff” in my trailer than some other racers I know.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HR3377:

GVWR is that they use. "R" being the key letter.

Posts: 540 | Location: central Ar | Registered: June 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
DOTRacer

What brand aluminum trailer did you order?
What kind of truck are you going to tow it with?
You seem like you research your purchases.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Steve H.,

Posts: 15 | Location: Ohio | Registered: March 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I check mine this past summer, 2018 crew cab duel rear wheel chevrolet pulling a 40 ft. featherlite toy hauler with all the normal junk and car was 22,940lbs. on the scales. I know the car weighs 2,520 with out me.

Posts: 337 | Location: up on the wheel | Registered: March 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<DOTracer>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Steve H.:
DOTRacer

What brand aluminum trailer did you order?
What kind of truck are you going to tow it with?
You seem like you research your purchases.

Ive had a 2003 Dodge Ram 5.9 Cummins and then a 2015 Ram 6.7L Cummins but the current truck is a 2017 Ram with the 6.4L Hemi with 4.10's. I just couldn't justify a diesel for my use when I traded the 2015 in. The gas engine handled the 11,500 trailer very well, no real loss in performance over the diesel, just takes more rpm instead of low end grunt.

The new trailer is an Intech Icon. They came on my radar back in 2011 or 2012 when a good friend and customer ordered one when he went to PRI. I have a few other costomers with Intech's so I was pretty familiar with them. First choice would have been a Goldrush or Motorsport, but given I don't really do much traveling to race, I couldn't justify the additional cost.

When I looked at steel trailers to equal the quality of my old one, the prices were $22-25k, so the aluminum Intech wasn't a huge upcharge.

<DOTracer>
posted
One good customer has a 48 foot Intech with nearly every option you could get. He travels alot to NMCA races. Last time it was at the shop I peeked in some of the cabinets and they were all packed full of supplies and spare parts. He also carries a NASCAR style Snap on roll cab with the rubber wheels and long t-handle for steering.

I asked him what it weight and he said he had no clue. I told him where the local CAT scales were and he came back and said the trailer loaded was over 20K, over 30K gross with his F450-F550 dually.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

Posts: 15 | Location: Ohio | Registered: March 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
WOW! Nice trailer! Thanks for posting pics.

I also like your choice in a gas tow vehicle. I’ve driven the 6.4 Hemi in a 2500 with 4.10, 18” tires and they are strong. Love the tow mirrors!!

<DOTracer>
posted
quote:
WOW! Nice trailer! Thanks for posting pics.

I also like your choice in a gas tow vehicle. I’ve driven the 6.4 Hemi in a 2500 with 4.10, 18” tires and they are strong. Love the tow mirrors!!

My truck is a tradesman that I made a few exterior changes to look like a Laramie including 20" wheels/tires, grill, front bumper/fog lights as well as OEM projector headlights that were converted to a true HID projector inside the stock RAM housings.

I also put the OEM 8.4" Navagation radio in and am working on installing a rear air ride system with air springs from Kelderman and air tank/internal pump setup from Accuair.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
My whole operation is 40,500 lbs. There is nothing weight-conscious here, other than the aluminum-framed Club Car golf cart.

It is about 25,000 on the toterhome with 13' box, and 15,500 on the all-steel 53' trailer. The axles are rated for 21k so I'm good there.

In the trailer are a 3600 lb Nova, 1700 lb dragster, 2 juniors, golf cart, scooter, and plenty of fuel, tools, and parts.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3150 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
My whole operation is 40,500 lbs. There is nothing weight-conscious here, other than the aluminum-framed Club Car golf cart.

It is about 25,000 on the toterhome with 13' box, and 15,500 on the all-steel 53' trailer. The axles are rated for 21k so I'm good there.

In the trailer are a 3600 lb Nova, 1700 lb dragster, 2 juniors, golf cart, scooter, and plenty of fuel, tools, and parts.

That's a bunch of stuff! I bet some of your race days are busy!

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6375 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Here’s something interesting I noticed, race gas is half pound per gallon lighter than your generator gas. I don’t why just going by your figures.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I've never weighed mine but I know my truck is 6850, trailer is 5200 empty. Fully loaded with everything I've estimated in the range of 10-11K.

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<DOTracer>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by green1:
Here’s something interesting I noticed, race gas is half pound per gallon lighter than your generator gas. I don’t why just going by your figures.

I didn't have any race gas left here in the steel VP can so I just weighed a plastic 5 gallon container of pump gas as well as a plastic 2.5 gallon containter of pump gas. I figured that was close enough for what I needed to know.