DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    how to fry a brand new transmission. UPDATE
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

how to fry a brand new transmission. UPDATE
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
You take abrand new,well less than ten half azz shots on it transmission. Add In little work on pan gasket leak. Screw up the shift cable adjustment. T

Next you go to track.Do a heavier than most would burn out.
Stage car with it between lo and hi and attempt to leave a 5500.
If not enough damage.Fix adjustment and go try again. When done it will be fried

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wideopen231,

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4185 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Mitch H
posted Hide Post
Dang it! Sorry about your luck....

Breaking stuff is never fun, or cheap.

Posts: 154 | Location: PA | Registered: December 31, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
^^^^ Ditto. But it is the nature of the beast.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Been there, done that, got the tee shirt.

Posts: 493 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Built new engine long ago. Good parts. Loaded up 4 Saturday in a row and hauled to track. Rained out all 4 times, never unloaded car. Week number 5, get to track, beautiful day. Scattered new engine on trans brake release. TADA!

Posts: 58 | Location: st louis mo | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Yea. Not *****ing.Hell I built I broke it,its all on me. SHyt happens. What you going to do? Rebuild and try not to do stupid crap again.

Posts: 4185 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
That sucks dude......

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1466 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
figure thats about 150 in parts and 100 expences per burn out. Oh well have spent more LMAO The laughing might be the strawberry lemonade with some 140 NC mountain Dew.

Not total wipe out just some clutches and low gear band,the later kind of sucks. Hell if it was easy I wouldn't want to be involved.

DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear this. We all human Eek If it had left in high gear would it had smoked it?

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Should not have.Its equpiued with high.low valve body and designed to be able to leave in high.All good stuff except the light bulb in the seat. Part adjustment (crew chief ) and part light bulb and maybe little manufacture of shifter. But hell I am all three.

Worst things have happened and I have scrap parts to prove it. Try kicking 2 rods at 1000' in a 5 run TFX block,cost 6000.00.SO about 1200 per pass. Good news it still ran 5.90 at 231. Got to look for the good if you can.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Knowing how much you like working on your car, now you have something to work on haha. Good thing is a band, possibly some clutches is not a bunch of money. It it just burnt the outside of the drum that is easily fixed on a lathe with some 80 grit emory cloth

Posts: 2427 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
quote:
strawberry lemonade with some 140 NC mountain Dew.

Now that sounds good...... Just so happens I have both in stock. Mtn dew is in the freezer and the strawberry lemonade in in the fridge. I'll report back.......

Posts: 868 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:
Should not have.Its equpiued with high.low valve body and designed to be able to leave in high.All good stuff except the light bulb in the seat. Part adjustment (crew chief ) and part light bulb and maybe little manufacture of shifter. But hell I am all three.

Air line comes off the pod at about 7-800 feet....Yeah, that was a mess.

Worst things have happened and I have scrap parts to prove it. Try kicking 2 rods at 1000' in a 5 run TFX block,cost 6000.00.SO about 1200 per pass. Good news it still ran 5.90 at 231. Got to look for the good if you can.

Posts: 868 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
So good news,good news and big question.

Found out what was hurt,Not the low gear band or high gear clutches. Fried and I mean welded the reverse clutches.

Now for the question. WTH caused it? What did I f---k up. Something with build? Light bulb short circuit in the seat?

Low gear band looks like what it is brand new as do high gear clutches.

Car has high/low valve body and pro brake.I did forget pro brake thing on stand LOL. Car backed up fins on last run. CAr would not leave line both runs. Figured shifter was between low and high first shot. Second shot it sounded like running thru clutch but not moving.

Ideas?

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
Knowing how much you like working on your car, now you have something to work on haha. Good thing is a band, possibly some clutches is not a bunch of money. It it just burnt the outside of the drum that is easily fixed on a lathe with some 80 grit emory cloth

Like it less after day of working in 90 degree 80% humidity. Thats why took me cpl days to get around to pulling.Well that and after the strawberry lemon aide mix last night I figured working on car bad idea. LMAO.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Transbrake got applied during the run. Do you have a system in place to prevent that?

Hutch

Posts: 24 | Location: Ontario Canada | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
yes box has a lock out. Unless I screwed up and reset it. Will have to check it.

While it will piss me at me and that can get BAD. It would make me feel better about transmission build.

I could have screwed it up between runs.Does not totally explain what was going on first run.Might be two separate things like cable and then transbrake 2nd run.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:

Drum still needs to be flat, a 2 inch wide piece of glass or aluminium with paper wrapped around it with the drum in said lathe will remove the high spots from the heat and make a nice flat finish on the drum. The high spots swell from the heat, and you just need to work them down flat nice and slow, then she is purty.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
would post pics but computer issues.Had power surge kill old one and one I am one is PIA with windows 10 crap.

When I sat welded the clutches I mean welded them together. Lucky did not hurt sun gear other than little heat where it wiped thru clutch teeth.. When I f---up I do nit at full speed.LMAO

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Seems hutch is right. Crew chief screwed up sitting on box,driver screwed up and hit button and owner is cussing us both. Man I am wearing myself out.LMAO