Find
Notify
Tools

Family Software
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of SpeierRacingHeads
posted
I getting back into this and need a weather station. I have a 30-year-old B&G (Bruce Huggard) that has been with me every step of the way. The 5500 hand held lost the program and sent it to Family to have programmed. However, after reading his thoughts on this, I agree with him 110%. Prediction based off HP correction vs best runs is logical to me...

So my delimma is, I have a Altronics Data Quest in the car, and the RaceWorks software would make it painless with a PAPC trailer station..

So, do I do that or use the Family Software with my guages or buy his Davis trailer station?

Posts: 1350 | Location: Hays Kansas | Registered: January 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Im lost with some of your comments or I missed something. Readings whos thoughts about what?

My overall thoughts with these stations. Get one, stcik to it and log analyse as much as possible to make sense of it for your car/setup/situation. Like many other things - what works for one person wont for the other. And also like many things there are many ways to skin a cat.

Configuration: 3350#, 555 C.I.,

60 - 1.24
1/8 - 5.69@ 123MPH
1/4 - 9.03& 152MPH

3700#+210lb driver, FULL interior, through mufflers, 10.5 tire.
60'-1.333 (IN 4000ft DA! Joisy Math excluded; 1.25sec using JOISY MATH.) Wink
1/4 - 9.60@144MPH

Posts: 1244 | Location: St Marys | Registered: January 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ski_dwn_it:
Im lost with some of your comments or I missed something. Readings whos thoughts about what?

My overall thoughts with these stations. Get one, stcik to it and log analyse as much as possible to make sense of it for your car/setup/situation. Like many other things - what works for one person wont for the other. And also like many things there are many ways to skin a cat.

Bob at Family Software. His programs for ET are based off of HP correction.

Our proprietary Horsepower Correction formulas for ET Prediction, the only completely scientific formulas in the industry. Our ET Prediction is based on the amount of RELATIVE OXYGEN in the air and a COMPUTER MODEL of your particular cars performance. We DO NOT average weather data, run data, or use outdated (and inaccurate) Density Altitude calculations for ET Prediction. Our original formulas are perfectly accurate and have never needed changing.

Posts: 1350 | Location: Hays Kansas | Registered: January 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
I'm still a bit confused also.

If he puts his HP correction formula into your B&G computer and you have some sort of weather gauges, what's the problem you are looking to solve?

Tony Leonard

Posts: 2314 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
I'm still a bit confused also.

If he puts his HP correction formula into your B&G computer and you have some sort of weather gauges, what's the problem you are looking to solve?

One is if anyone has experience with the Family product.

The other is I want something painless. I want to monitor it and log it on the computer.

I could do that simply with the Altronics, but the Family has my attention.

Clear as mud! Smile

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I have the I family software it is Killer. You will not be disappointed. Very simple VERY accurate and Bob is great to deal!

Posts: 24 | Location: tea sd | Registered: January 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpeierRacingHeads:

The other is I want something painless. I want to monitor it and log it on the computer.

Clear as mud! Smile

I've never used the Family Software, but at the end of my search I was choosing between Family and Crew Chief Pro.

I ended up choosing Crew Chief Pro, mainly because I do data analysis for a living and being able to tweak all of the weather factors appealed to me. Now, I've probably screwed them up more than I've helped, and lately I've been using a single HP Correction factor as a guiding hand when my various predictions don't agree with each other.

If you choose the Family software, I don't think you'd be making a bad choice.

As for painless, I have an Altalab weather station hooked to my computer with the prediction software, and I LOVE not having to manually enter all of the weather data. The only problem is that you will lose some level of intimacy with the data; sort of like how you don't know anyone's phone number anymore because they are all programmed into your phone.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 2314 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
quote:
Originally posted by SpeierRacingHeads:

Clear as mud! Smile

I've never used the Family Software, but at the end of my search I was choosing between Family and Crew Chief Pro.

I ended up choosing Crew Chief Pro, mainly because I do data analysis for a living and being able to tweak all of the weather factors appealed to me. Now, I've probably screwed them up more than I've helped, and lately I've been using a single HP Correction factor as a guiding hand when my various predictions don't agree with each other.

If you choose the Family software, I don't think you'd be making a bad choice.

As for painless, I have an Altalab weather station hooked to my computer with the prediction software, and I LOVE not having to manually enter all of the weather data. The only problem is that you will lose some level of intimacy with the data; sort of like how you don't know anyone's phone number anymore because they are all programmed into your phone.

I totally agree. It's like all the head formulas, spreadsheets are nice but you learn way more pen to paper...

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Quick Dawg
posted Hide Post
I have Bob's program and use it. I also have Crew Chief Pro. Family Software is very simple to use, but it can also be in-depth if you wish. "Remember if you think long, you think wrong". For me, Crew Chief Pro is way to complicated and over cooked, and continues to be so. However, many people like it.

I always love Run For The Money coming off the trailer first thing in the day. If I cut a light, I can dial almost dead on every time with Family Software. Don't use Crew Chief Pro anymore because for me Family is much better. I placed second in SP points at my track this year, thanks to Bob's program, so I must have been doing something right.

Posts: 215 | Location: Salt Lake City | Registered: January 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
I have never used either of the software solutions mentioned, but I am a bit confused about what makes them so different from each other, or better than any other type of weather station or prediction software. Isn't horsepower correction based on "relative oxygen" essentially the same thing as Density Altitude? And in an indirect way, aren't DA predictions basically a horsepower correction (factor)? Don't all of these methods require some baseline performance data for the particular car whose performance is being predicted? I won a big dial for dollars pot 2 years ago by running within a thou off the trailer, using my 14 year old $300 hand held Altronics weather station. I think any of these solutions can be helpful, but will not eliminate the need to know your car, and how it responds to changing conditions, and using your eyes and ears to monitor other vital factors, such as track prep & temp, sun angle & intensity, cloud cover, wind speed and direction, etc.

Dan "Jim" Moore
This year = "Transbrake Jim"
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 427 | Location: Dallas, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Hire a 15 year old kid to make the prediction, they know everything, just ask them.

Bob

Posts: 2137 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I have used Bob's programs since he started...they work great...any decent weather station will work, just use your own and don't go by someone else's numbers.I use the pro log lite because I want enter the runs myself...and Bob is reachable and will help you out.

Posts: 23 | Location: florida | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of jason jensen
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Bob and ifamily. Just switched from the other guys stuff after years of struggling and predictions that didn't make sense. Have used ifamily for 2 races and so far the predictions have been good. And you don't have to pay the BS yearly fees!

Posts: 283 | Location: Kalamazoo, MI | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post