DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Our Racing Program
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 16
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Our Racing Program
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
The motor is home & I just unloaded it. The biggest thing I noticed was they didn't mill the carb flange down. I told them I would install the motor as is & check the ProCharger outlet height. That's the part that might be too high under the flat portion of the hood. I don't want to cut or make a blister for it. He said bring it back if it needed to be cut & he would do it for free.

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2505 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I ordered 2 spare pistons/buttons (J&E) for the motor, left & right. Along with a spare ring set, Total Seal AP rings with gas porting. I also got a spare set of valve springs.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2505 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Here's the cam card for the motor. We are running a T&D rocker shaft set-up with 1.6 rockers on Intake & 1.5 on Exhaust.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B KING:
I ordered 2 spare pistons/buttons (J&E) for the motor, left & right. Along with a spare ring set, Total Seal AP rings with gas porting. I also got a spare set of valve springs.

Smart move.

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
If it was an N/A motor, I wouldn't have bothered. Hopefully I will not need to use them! Smile

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
T/S? Shake head Laughing Hard

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4470 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BP758:

Come on Barry, this is clearly a Pro Mod; set-up for some bracket racing! Razz

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I went through the new motor invoice & found nothing for new pushrods. They were supposed to go with heavy wall 3/8" on the exhaust side & we currently have .080 wall, plus 2 spares. I called & they said they were on order from Manely.

I also went through the old parts from the old build. This motor was installed in 2008 & has never been out of the car with over 1,000+ runs. The pistons looked very good with very little minor scuffing on the skirts. The coated bearings looked great with the exception of the cam bearings. It's not that they looked bad, but 6 o'clock position the coating was missing. The camshaft/lifters looked great & I might put it in the spare motor that I never use.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B KING:
quote:

Come on Barry, this is clearly a Pro Mod; set-up for some bracket racing! Razz

Boy did I Miss! Again! Cut me some slack please, I’m in Old **** mode!
Depending on length you might find some shelf pushrods stout.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4470 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Boy did I Miss! Again! Cut me some slack please, I’m in Old **** mode!
Depending on length you might find some shelf pushrods stout.

I'll let you slide this time. As for the pushrods, I'm in no hurry. I can fire up the motor with the existing pushrods.

I've been working on a bunch of piddly things this week. The main thing has been wrapping the headers, hopefully finish them tomorrow. Trying to get everything ready for this weekend to install the motor. One of my boys are coming to finish the wiring or get it darn close.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I got the motor installed yesterday; the headers are a pain to install. Super Angry

Going to have a new addition to the shop tomorrow, pics to come.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Well get rid of one & get another. Not sure what we are going to do with this one. I've made 6 or 7 passes in the car & it has a lot of sentimental value. The car is owned by my friend/past racing partner. Our first-year racing, I won a track championship & he took second. Neither one of us knew what we were doing. I had a bunch of book smarts on bracket racing & I spoon fed him the little knowledge I knew. It worked out OK & we only got better. Lots of great times!

I had been away from racing for a year, stationed in South Korea. I came home climbed into this car & got a quick win.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Score man! Nice!!

Raceless in California!

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Nice job. Hoping a car and winning. Impressive.

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BG7X77:
Nice job. Hoping a car and winning. Impressive.

I've been blessed to be able to win in many different vehicles. That's the nice thing about bracket racing!

I had a rental car in the 90s sometime & entered it in Pro. It was a Dodge Shadow EX, 13" tires, front wheel drive, 4 cylinder. I was able to stage shallow with the gas peddle to the floor & cut great lights. The issue was consistency, it was all over the place depending on when the electric cooling fan kicked on. Needless to say I disconnected the fan & won the race with a killer high 19 sec. rental.

I won a few races in our old 1993 GMC 1/2 truck, in Super Pro. I actually got protested by a couple of racers. They said I had a box, I didn't; what did it matter, boxes were legal for the class. I had to stage that thing deep with the brake pedal pushed through the floor board. I was pushing so hard I was bending the steering wheel, I had a good many .00X lights with it.

I've raced/won in numerous race vehicles from a 7 sec. S-10 truck, to 9 sec. & up cars & even 9 sec. - 12 sec. quads/ATVs.

Sorry for the war stories. Eek

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
We got a lot of work done/close to finished some areas this past weekend:

Wiring 99% complete & tested as much as possible.

Underneath of car 95% complete. Measured for driveshaft & ordered today, 3.5" chromoly. Got the car off jack stands, boy it's a lot easier to work on the interior. I forgot to install the O2 sensor.

Engine compartment 85-90% complete. Need to finish small things: fuel lines/regulator, throttle cable bracket & cable, custom build a charge tube & install distributor. I'm sure I forgot a few things.

Front suspension 95% complete. Need to set the ride height, the ProCharger adds about 60 lbs. to the left front. Car sits a little lower on that corner, we measured with me in the driver's position.

The car is finally coming along good, it helped getting the motor back after 13 months being gone. I hope to get some initial testing done in Sept.-Nov., but that's a tuff time at our track for testing.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I plan on firing the motor early next month. I'm taking my time double & triple checking everything.

This week I've ran into some minor issues getting the engine ready to fire, but other things have gone well. I'll start with the positive & go to the negative:

Primed the motor before putting in distributor had 80 lbs. The engine builder had done this before leaving their shop & put in Joe Gibbs break-in oil.

I installed distributor, has a neat little device to phase the rotor.

Finished up the charge tube & blow-off valve to bonnet.

Spark plugs, the engine builder put in new; same as what the motor came in with. Need to order, change the heat range & need a resister plug. I kind of found what I need, but it's an iridium projected tip plug.

I need to find a couple gallons of ATI Super F 20W, seems to be on back order with Summit. I need to check with Jeg's or someone else.

Last thing I attempted to do was load in a startup tune in the ECU, no power on the screen. Needless to say, when I when I modified the wiring harness. I forgot a wire that turns on power to the ECU. I made a jumper & everything works now. My son will fix the harness next month when we fire the motor.

I still have to finish the fuel system lines & return regulator at the throttle body. I think I have all the items needed. Then need to flush the whole system.

I'm sure I forgot something, but I do have a to do list in the shop.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Now that the car is coming together pretty quickly. Barring any unforeseen circumstances, we are hoping to do some street testing in July. Might put a draggy in & use some launch retard & pimp juice to help with the hook. I don't really like doing it, but need some data. I'm gone to MI. a minimum a month in Aug. Like I said in a previous post, our track is not conducive to testing in the fall. So, it looks like street testing in a very rural area.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
The road used by locals works pretty damn good to be honest

Sorry for the crappy screen capture but you can see it works just fine

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 985 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Thanks Al!

We plan on testing out here in Pahrump, that's where I live. A good friend is a street racer/no prep guy. He races on that road in the pic & runs on Las Vegas Blvd. that Street Outlaw's use. Just for shyt & giggles, he ran at the track with his Draggy. He ran 4.80's both track time & draggy time. Then left the track & went out Las Vegas Blvd. ran a 4.80X using Draggy, this was done on small tire nitrous SBC.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436