DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Our Racing Program
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 16
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Our Racing Program
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
The rearend came in this week, it's a little dusty! USA

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2502 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Yeah buddy!

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4470 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
What did your wife say about you getting new rear end? At least its not a strange rear end. LOL

Nice

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4171 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Damn spiffy!

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:
What did your wife say about you getting new rear end? At least its not a strange rear end. LOL

Nice

This year will be 40 years with my wife & she has been very supportive of our racing. She actually drove the car for 3 years while I was touring with the NHRA.

I was lucky to have good Sponsor's & money Backer's for racing. Most of my expenses for this thread have been saved for; plus, selling property at the right time recently.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2502 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BG7X77:
Damn spiffy!

Thanks BG!

I'm glad I decided to update the rearend. I wasn't going to do it, but after seeing the amount of torque these ProCharged motors put out. Plus, my friends/family wanting me to upgrade; I took the plunge.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B KING:
quote:
Damn spiffy!

Thanks BG!

I'm glad I decided to update the rearend. I wasn't going to do it, but after seeing the amount of torque these ProCharged motors put out. Plus, my friends/family wanting me to upgrade; I took the plunge.

Bad to the bone Fab 9, shaping up nicely.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
What’s the plan for the brake line. A hard line from a tee to connect the two flex lines at the calipers? Then another flex line from the frame to the rear end

Posts: 486 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wooley:
What’s the plan for the brake line. A hard line from a tee to connect the two flex lines at the calipers? Then another flex line from the frame to the rear end

Yes sir: I just got done figuring/ordering the lines, fittings & adapters. I need to figure out some type of bracket for the hard line. Probably use one or two brackets off the center section studs.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
Bad to the bone Fab 9, shaping up nicely.

Thanks Mike! Big Grin

I still have to figure out the driveshaft & who will build it; probably have it done locally.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B KING:
quote:
Originally posted by Wooley:

Yes sir: I just got done figuring/ordering the lines, fittings & adapters. I need to figure out some type of bracket for the hard line. Probably use one or two brackets off the center section studs.

This was the first time using nickel copper 3/16" line & it was pretty easy to bend/flare. The only thing I didn't get done was the bracket off the center section. I plan on putting the rearend in next weekend. Then I'll take measurements & decide on the driveshaft.

I'm continuing to work on the wiring. I modified the ECU main harness. I didn't need/want the fuel pump relay or fuse in the engine compartment. Plus, it wasn't very friendly for mounting on the firewall.

I ran a 2 gauge ground cable from the battery to the rear of block. I need to make a ground from block to frame & a few others to the heads/firewall.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I moved the new rearend from garage to shop about 125'. I put on the old rims & tire to move; I still had to lift one side or the other to turn.

I spent a couple hrs. getting the old rearend out, I have a couple guys wanting it. It's the original rear for the car & has held up very well. We had the center section welded to the tubes, spring perches gusseted, c-clip eliminators, spool, 33 spline axles. The only issue we had was cracking the ring & pinion gear, they needed to be replaced yearly. Except the last set of Yukon gears has lasted 4 years but wasn't inspected for cracks after 5th year. That old piece of shyt 8.5 10 bolt has done a good job.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I got the new rear end partially installed yesterday. I need to order new U-bolts, vent & a brake line adapter fitting. Other than that, everything looks good; wheels/tires fit in nice & snug like the old set-up.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Are you going to use u bolts or girdle straps....just curious.

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are you going to use u bolts or girdle straps....just curious.

The rear came with U-bolts. Do you think the girdle straps are better?

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Idk....you have to have proper clearance on the yoke between faces with girdle..0.010 if I remember correctly. U bolts are perfectly acceptable too....not sure if one would be considered better...... I have both options was thinking of installing girdle this year.

BG

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
For the few that are somewhat following this thread, sorry for no recent updates. I have very little time to work on the car, usually only on Sat. I'm trying to remedy the one day work schedule for the car soon. Big Grin

The only plans for this month is to finish/terminate the wires into the relay board and continue to order the small piddly parts to finish the project.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Personal opinion, U-bolts with aircraft lock nuts and don’t over tighten them. Good luck.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5298 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cashflow:
Personal opinion, U-bolts with aircraft lock nuts and don’t over tighten them. Good luck.

Thanks for your opinion! Smile

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Finally made it into the shop to get some wiring done at the circuit/relay board. While it's about 80% done at the board. We were able to check/configure most of the system. It's a pain in the butt trying to keep certain EFI wires away from dirty power & ground sources. The plan is to finish the remainder in April.

I also got the headers prepped & painted, used the sun/heat gun to help cure the paint. I was debating on having them coated but thought wrapping them would lower the ProCharger inlet temp better. Seeing the inlet is directly over the driver's side header. We will also be spraying methanol/water into the inlet also; probably at a 75% meth/25% water ratio.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436